Notices

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my interior light won't shut OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Alicia Cramer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my interior light won't shut OFF!

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
What year is your car? It always helps to list details...

Many moons ago, I had this issue with the lights staying on even though the switch was in the door open mode. Turned out to be the imobilizer computer...only on 1996+ cars.

Cheers!

Please help!! My interior lights on my 96 jeep grand Cherokee will not turn off even with the car off and the keys are taken out of the ignition! I checked the "always on switch" as well and it doesn't look like that is the problem.. so I've been unhooking my battery so that it doesn't die due to the lights not turning off! Does anyone know or have had this problem? Please help! Thank you!
Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Alicia Cramer
Please help!! My interior lights on my 96 jeep grand Cherokee will not turn off even with the car off and the keys are taken out of the ignition! I checked the "always on switch" as well and it doesn't look like that is the problem.. so I've been unhooking my battery so that it doesn't die due to the lights not turning off! Does anyone know or have had this problem? Please help! Thank you!
Welcome to Rennlist. You probably wont be able to get much JGC tech support here, but a nice thing about a your Jeep is that the wiring diagrams are freely available online. Try asking at https://www.jeepforum.com/
Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Maybe also pulling the fuse to that particular area???? Loved my Jeep, great trucks
Old 12-10-2019, 02:36 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Check your door switches. Cars of this era typically had a spring-loaded switch that would push in when the door is closed (and spring out when the door is opened) which turned the interior lights on and off. (the switch is how the car knew if a door was open).

Check around the frame where the rear of the front doors would close.

Often what happens is: the spring breaks, the plastic plunger breaks, or the door / frame rusts around the switch and the whole switch gets pushed in, instead of just the plunger. Occasionally, the switch is grounded by the mounting screws and that area rusts.

This is a door switch
https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-au...SABEgL7f_D_BwE

video showing location and how to replace

Guessing OP found this forum by mistake?

Quick Reply: I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my interior light won't shut OFF!