Notices

997 Demo drive and observation...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:27 PM
VGC
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 997 Demo drive and observation...

So we bought a 05 911 Carrera S and when we went to look at it, we took it for a bit of a demo drive. With 350 ish HP and 3100 lbs of lightweight, I was expecting...more? It is an AUTO, wife can't drive stick! LOL....but still...it was a bit sluggish from the get go, but as the rpms' built it started to pull decently. I'll mess with it more when we officially pick it up, and get the plugs replaced....but....

I got back into my TLX type S, mildly modified to about 380 hp, and 4100 lbs! but that Acura is WAY quicker in all respects...which surprised me to say the least.....

I guess I'll know more soon enough and keep the updates coming!

23 TLX Type S, mildly modded

05 911 Carrera S, stock
Old 02-21-2024, 10:06 PM
TobyW
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

That doesn't really surprise me. The Acura probably has a lot more torque in the lower rpm range, and the Tiptronic is an old-fashioned automatic with torque converter and eats a bit of power. You'll definitely have to rev higher with the Porsche, and the more linear power delivery might make it feel slower.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:31 PM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by TobyW
That doesn't really surprise me. The Acura probably has a lot more torque in the lower rpm range, and the Tiptronic is an old-fashioned automatic with torque converter and eats a bit of power. You'll definitely have to rev higher with the Porsche, and the more linear power delivery might make it feel slower.
yeah. I guess I was expecting something very different. lol.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:59 PM
VGC
Advanced

Well!!!

now that I actually own 911, it’s a whole heck of a lot faster than I expected lol. Pulls like a son of a gun!!!
Old 02-25-2024, 09:53 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a suggestion.....
Never drive it in "D" always use the thumb switches to shift gears at the appropriate rpm.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:06 PM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by RJT
Just a suggestion.....
Never drive it in "D" always use the thumb switches to shift gears at the appropriate rpm.
Why? I ask as, well, I'm way done with manual driving! I like power behind me, or in front, with more HP and just mash the gas pedal! My decades of stick driving are about over...reason for the auto was my wife as well. She can't drive a stick sadly
Old 02-25-2024, 10:21 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Well it's not like driving a stick shift pushing a clutch in and out! You are just using your thumb to shift.
In D it will shift up early, too early and the engine will lug around at a constant low rpm. That's not what the engine likes.
Drive it however you like.

Quick Reply: 997 Demo drive and observation...