Notices

Mercedes: Any W211 E55 Owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mercedes: Any W211 E55 Owners out there?

Yes, I realize this is a 993 Forum but you guys have proven to be active and knowledgable on many more obscure requests.

So I am considering getting rid of the 993 and moving to an E55. I think a larger car suits my family and daily commute better and I will still keep my '69 911 street/track car for sports car jollies. I have done lots of reading and know much about the technical specs and problem areas with the E55.

My quandary is this - in limited driving of them I find they are very solid and fast, but seem to be prone to understeer and sluggish reflexes. The engine is so torquey and smooth that it doesn't even feel as fast as it is. Lots of people rave about them so I wonder if it's something that grows on you or if I'm inadvertantly comparing it to the Porsche (which is wrong). I love to tinker so if alignment and front tire changes will help then I'm good with that. I just don't want to end up with something that's dull except for when you are launching from stop lights!

I think the M5 has a better chassis and I've considered one but the E39 is manual only and the E60 interior just doesn't sit right with me (plus they carry and $8-10K over the E55).

So, if you have spent any real time with an E55 I love to hear your feedback!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

you've got it right.

the e55 is a german q-ship but turns are just not its strong suit. The car has air suspension, which can be stiffened only so much. Its also a 4000lb vehicle with a big, heavy, and high CG v8 in the nose. Its going to understeer, the steering has minimal feedback, and you will get a good bit of body roll.

I've spent a lot of time driving these things, and after you get over the thrust, which I'll admit is nice, you realize that you're in a mid-sized mercedes sedan and not much more.

E60 is a better choice, and if you can expand your budget, the panamera seems to meet your needs the best.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

I agree with Quad, once you get past the torque its not that great. M5 is a better car, but that V10 can be tricky and the SMG isn't the best.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with quad and slick. I have had both the e55 and the e60 m5. Preferred the e55. But the thrills were strictly related to fast launches. No other thrills driving or otherwise. SMG sucked.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The W211 E series is a great design and tank solid car. Add the AMG 55 option (or thereafter), and you have a great family hauler. Its not a sports car but it is one hell of a great sport sedan.

I have an E60 (albeit a little ol' 535) and that too is an outstanding car. As an M5, other than the SMG which some do not like, it has lots of power and is more tossable. Hell...even the 535 or 550 works well.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a W211 E63. That's the more reliable car. If you go to the forums, you will, read about a lot of little issues with the 55, while almost none with the 63, and they are both equally fast...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM
burton
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twinreds
I have a W211 E63. That's the more reliable car. If you go to the forums, you will, read about a lot of little issues with the 55, while almost none with the 63, and they are both equally fast...
Does the E55 suffer from more reliability problems than the E63 becuase the E55 has a supercharged motor?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had my E55 for almost 4 years and love it! Has Kleemann updates (now to about 600 hp at the crank) and have had no issues. I still love my Porsches but also love the torque of the E55. It is my car of choice when traveling more then 200 miles at a time. It does not handle like a Porsche for sure but it does pamper you with all the luxo touches - I love the seats that "hug" you when you turn. Dynamic seats are so cool. Drive one and see.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by burton
Does the E55 suffer from more reliability problems than the E63 becuase the E55 has a supercharged motor?
Meh, the blown motors do have some issues, such as the blower clutch and pulley bearings and such. Aside from that you get the standard 113 issues like crank position sensors, weepy RMS, etc.

The engines and transmissions themselves are pretty sturdy. The other issues are related to electronics. The E63 has evolved from a car introduced in 2003, so by the time the 63 came out in 2007, the electronic issues had some time to be worked out.

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I have had my E55 for almost 4 years and love it! Has Kleemann updates (now to about 600 hp at the crank) and have had no issues. I still love my Porsches but also love the torque of the E55. It is my car of choice when traveling more then 200 miles at a time. It does not handle like a Porsche for sure but it does pamper you with all the luxo touches - I love the seats that "hug" you when you turn. Dynamic seats are so cool. Drive one and see.
Interesting that you like the dynamic seats. I have them in my s-class and I find them extremely gimmicky.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a W211 E55 and love it. I really enjoy the quiet comfortable ride and the quick thottle response.
It has been a very relialable car for me. Much more reliable than my same year SL55 (now gone).

Last edited by mcipseric; 08-06-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twinreds
The E63s are more reliable than the E55 predecessor. In addition the steering rack was changed and it feels more precise. The E63 does handle better than the E55. Also the 6.2 liter NA motor is a fantastic V8 if you don't mind not having that low end grunt of a supercharger. Overall, it's more "civilized" and the NA motor is buttery smooth. But you don't get that thrust of the SC motor nor the whine (that some people like with a SC motor.)

But it's not an E60 and was never meant to be. Like all AMGs, they are built more with comfort in mind. Think big cruiser with big motor. They are a lot more fun than a regular E Class, but they are still an E Class. You can get on them and they handle better than they feel (the brakes are exceptionally good), but at the end of the day they are really autobahn cruisers. And very good autobahn cruisers. Along with your '69 911 for the weekends, the AMG 55/63 would be a good all around addition, imho. Better yet, keep the 993 and use all three.

I had an E60 in the past and if I were looking for a comfortable everyday ride, I'd go with the AMG. But if I wanted a real sports sedan with a stiffer suspension and more tactile feeling, then I'd go with BMW. But each have their pros and cons, so it'll be a trade off either way. The V10 of the M5 requires a lot more high rpm spinning to get the torque and power out of it than does the 6.2 V8 of the E63 (the torque comes on lower.) And of course with the E55 the full power starts in at much lower rpms.

As far as safety (you mentioned family and commuting), you might want to note that the E60 suffered with "marginal" ratings in side impact crashes from all the independent testing institutions. That was always a concern of mine, personally. With the new F10 5 series, that's been all fixed and it now has 5 stars/good. The E Class does better overall in safety ratings than the E60.

fwiw, the new BMW F10 (5 series) is now soft like the latest (non-AMG) E Class. The new electric steering is numb and vague. BMW seems to be trying to cater to a different demographic these days, at least in their mid to larger size sedans.

p.s., you might want to consider a non-AMG S Class if you're looking for a good commuter and family comfort car.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the thoughtful feedback! I knew I could count on you guys.

I spent more time behind the wheel of the E55 and do like it. I think the handling and feel is pretty good as long as I don't compare it to the Porsche! I'd love to keep the 993 but that would mean 5 cars in a two driver family which starts to become work plus I have gotten used to no car payment. The latter is why the E63 is not on my shopping list - yet.

Glad to hear some positive comments on reliability too! I know there are risks with these cars but you also tend to hear only about the people with issues and not the 1000's out there with no problems.

It looks like there will be another 993 on the market soon...

Thanks again -
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Thanks for all of the thoughtful feedback! I knew I could count on you guys.

I spent more time behind the wheel of the E55 and do like it. I think the handling and feel is pretty good as long as I don't compare it to the Porsche! I'd love to keep the 993 but that would mean 5 cars in a two driver family which starts to become work plus I have gotten used to no car payment. The latter is why the E63 is not on my shopping list - yet.

Glad to hear some positive comments on reliability too! I know there are risks with these cars but you also tend to hear only about the people with issues and not the 1000's out there with no problems.

It looks like there will be another 993 on the market soon...

Thanks again -
The reliability issues with the E55 are: 1) intercooler pump (the OEM pump isn't very effective and you can get heatsoak; easily remedied with an after market pump.) 2) leaking fuel sending units (there was a recall) 3) airmatic strut failure (the air suspension makes a crappy road feel smooth, but they can leak and fail over time. ) Also there are niggling electronic issues once in a while (like with the keyless entry system called Keyless Go), but no different than BMW's electronics.

The cars are pretty reliable overall, esp the motor and transmission, but what I think gives them a reputation is that the prices of parts and repair/maintenance costs are very high. That's really the biggest drawback. If you're a DIYer you can avoid some of the expense, but parts are still pretty steep.

btw, if you drive like a sane person, you can actually get decent mpg. And esp on the freeway.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I live off of world famous Mulholland Drive, LA's capital of the twisties and hangout for all urban racers and canyon carvers.

Get the E55 and better springs, shocks are only good for 70,000 so ditch yours and go with new, add the latest Michelins and take the car to the track.

Learn how to trail brake, shift the car manually and learn especially just how late you can brake in these cars and you won't think they are for stoplights only. Not much gets away from me up here and certainly not a M5 or any Audi made other than the R8.

There is body roll but you can deal with that because no other car does the above so well and still has room for 5, plus lugguage and can (in a pinch) be handed over to the valet.

The cars are a bargain, everything works and they run forever. When you want to sell there will be a line.
OK?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Get the E55 and better springs, shocks are only good for 70,000 so ditch yours and go with new, add the latest Michelins and take the car to the track.
There are no "better springs." It's an air suspension with air bags and air valved struts.

They can last a lifetime (it's air) or until they eventually develop a leak (which will happen.) Replacing an older air spring with a new one won't change handling, it's only preventive medicine against potential failure.

Unless you've done a coil over conversion. I only know of one person who has and it was an experiment which also required SDS to recognize the aftermarket steel suspension (developed as an experiment by KW.) If you've done this conversion, I'm sure others would like to hear about it.

Quick Reply: Mercedes: Any W211 E55 Owners out there?