Notices

VW Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default VW Reliability

Ok. Still looking for a first car for my son. I don't want to give him anything like a Porsche or BMW as a first (although I've seen some nice 325's for less than $7k). I just feel he needs to work for those cars himself. However, a VW Jetta or Passat seems to be a reasonable option. I'm looking to stay under $10k.

I've heard VW has problems with reliability but don't always believe what I read. Does anyone have personal experience with VWs and their reliability? For those with direct knowledge, are there any particular models or years that have a better record as far as maintenance issues; and for that matter are there any particular model years that may be contributing to the relaibility issue reputation?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random electrical and coolant hose issues. Other than that most of them I have had have been pretty reliable. My experience is only from mk1-mk4 with no tdi's
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a cautionary tale and I guess a non-cautionary. I bought two of them. One was a 2002 Golf with some records, and looked like it was maintained well. It's been very reliable, and has only needed a new alternator with 135k miles.

I also have a 2001 GTI that has been nothing but trouble, because it was not maintained. The headliners come down in hot weather, but that happened to my Mini too. In the GTI I've had all kinds of CELs from all the damn sensors in the turbo that go wacky. It's had a recall on the coil packs, and the wiring for the airbags. Some of the issues with the GTI are related to poor mx it's first 120k miles.

I guess overall, I would suggest getting one, but try to get records when you buy. They have an outstanding safety record from 2001 forward.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a 2003 Golf TDI for my daily and it's pretty ok, done 100k to this day and besides the usual wear stuff it has only needed a front left spring and both front wheel bearings.

The wife drives my old 2003 Passat 1.8t which has done 150k and it's needed a new valvecovergasket, antenna, coolant temp sensor, few hoses and things but nothing major besides the usual service items except for a new timing chain tensioner.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty happy with both cars.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

spotty. from what i hear. what the hell do i know.

except for replacing a transmission on my Jetta a few years ago. that was fun.

what does that tell us. zero. and i think some of the cars are only half fugly.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

There are two production plants for the VWs. One is in Wolfsburg Germany, and the other is in Mexico. You can determine the build location from the VIN. I looked up both of mine and they were built in Germany. I've heard the one's built in Mexico have more quality problems.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boss has an early 2000's Jetta with over 160k miles and the AC compressor just dumped. Other than that, he's had good luck minus one silly plastic coolant line that Audi's suffer from too he told me about.

Oh yeah, that nipple on a 996 that carris coolant breaks too.

Oh wait, the BMW's use plastic tanks on the radiator.

What is with Germans and running coolant through plastic????
Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Every US and Japanese and many Euro cars run coolant through plastic. Lots of plastic rad tanks, connectors, etc. The key is, the polymer used. Very good plastic polymers cost almost as much to mold as metal parts. Cheap plastic is an easy place to save a few cents per car. Another example is the connectors used on the Bosch elec connectors. They die quickly in the engine bay.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
There are two production plants for the VWs. One is in Wolfsburg Germany, and the other is in Mexico. You can determine the build location from the VIN. I looked up both of mine and they were built in Germany. I've heard the one's built in Mexico have more quality problems.
This man knows the truth, any VW I have regular issues with has always been produced in mexico, europeans seem to exercise stronger quality control than their mexican counterparts.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience is with my daughter's 2004 Convertible 1.8l Turbo Beetle. To call it a maintenance hog is a understatement. This car was constantly at the mechanics. We bougt the car with 50K miles and in the following 2 years we had to replace a drive shaft, two coolant pumps, 1 gallon of coolant ($30 for this special coolant that you can only get at the dealership), a power window sensor, an air bag sensor, a seat belt buckle (which had another air bag sensor), timing belt, plus all the normal wear items. It had to be towed once to the mechanics. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some of the items.

The last time I took it to the mechanic he told me he saw a rebuilt transmission in my future. That did it, trade it in for a new SUV.

I'll never have another VW unless is under warranty.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Had an '06 Jetta w/leather seats (nice touch) that was reliable for college kid and did well. Just basic maintenance, a few dings repaired, wiper blades, etc. Nothing major. Sold it after 6 years when she started grad school.

Other college kid has an '09 Jetta, same thing - nothing major, just basic maintenance. Had one little quirk with the a/c and that was resolved under warranty. Overall, good experience with VW here. Would buy again.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

We just traded in my daughters 2001 Mexibug on a new Golf. I originally bought it with about 60k miles on it and other than a coil pack issue it was a good little car. The first thing I did when I bought was change the timing belt and water pump.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

There are two auto trans for the VWs. Neither are good. The 09A has problems with slipping and hot trans fluid. If you don't change the fluid at about 60k miles, it'll slip and damage the solenoids. 01M is a better trans but it also has issues sometimes. If you can, get a manual trans.

Here's the place to ask all your VW questions and get an idea of what you're getting into.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror

There's a few more out there Doc, most came from Wolfsburg or Brussels.

24 millionth VW Golf Rolls Off The Line.

WOLFSBURG, Germany - The world's 24 millionth Golf was produced today at Volkswagen in Wolfsburg. The anniversary model is a 2.0 litre TDI, 103 kW Golf Comfortline in tornado red.

"The Golf is top of the new registrations list in Western Europe and the highest-selling vehicle in the Volkswagen Group", commented Production Board member Reinhard Jung at the celebrations on Tuesday.

The Golf is now built at seven Volkswagen factories: Wolfsburg, Mosel, Brussels, Sarajevo/Bosnia and Herzegovina, Uitenhage/South Africa, Changchun/China and Curitiba/Brazil.

The model's success story began in 1974. In 2002, Golf production figures surpassed Beetle production, thus setting a new record at Volkswagen. Production of the fifth-generation Golf commenced in October 2003. The latest generation also includes the R32, the most powerful Golf of all time, where production started in August.

In total, Europe's leading automaker delivered some 719,000 Golf to customers worldwide last year. Major markets in Europe include Germany, the UK, France and Italy. Key sales markets for the Golf outside Europe are the USA, Japan and South Korea.

Source: VW
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GTI just hit 50k with zero issues, save for the mirror adjustment **** that broke off with under 1500 miles (was replaced and has never had a problem since).

My buddy's 05 Passat has 140k and still drives incredibly well. He has had no issues, either - just regular maintenance.

Quick Reply: VW Reliability