Notices

Gonna get a Chevy Volt, wish me luck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I drove the volt and Prius and all the other economy cars. The VW has so much more BIG torque....it wasn't as benign feeling as the others....it really kicks out. The Volt was a cool car though...you really can't go wrong!!!!!

Yes, I pay $1.00 more per gallon, but I get way more in driving fun, and when I am at speed (70 +) on the highway, and I want to pass, it really moves out from that torque.

Then there's the DSG tranny....talk about fast shifts and responsiveness...

Here's an interesting emissions article comparing VW TDI with the Volt:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...han-vw-diesels
Volt torque = 273, JSW = 236. Volt max torque is also available from 0 rpm. Both feel torquey but it's no comparison, the Volt feels WAY more torquey and powerful. Again, I drove them back to back the same day. Strange, maybe you drove one that wasn't charged?

The linked report is meaningless as it requires that the Volt gas engine be running full time, something that never happens. In any case, I don't believe the AGW mumbo jumbo anyway, my reasons for wanting an efficient car are outlined above.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't you somehow affix wheels to a rechargeable weed eater? Plenty o' torque. . .
Old 11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
Volt torque = 273, JSW = 236. Volt max torque is also available from 0 rpm. Both feel torquey but it's no comparison, the Volt feels WAY more torquey and powerful. Again, I drove them back to back the same day. Strange, maybe you drove one that wasn't charged?

The linked report is meaningless as it requires that the Volt gas engine be running full time, something that never happens. In any case, I don't believe the AGW mumbo jumbo anyway, my reasons for wanting an efficient car are outlined above.
I did drive them both the same day.

I figured the JSW was more of a "real" car. It had a much better range (.....Vegas to Cali and back on one tank....I can go at least 600 miles.), held way more cargo, more passengers, top (limited) speed much higher, and the torque felt much higher. The turbo kicks it hard, and the DSG was much more responsive. Cruising at 80-90 (which I commonly do on I-15) was easy......while the Chevy is just about maxing out at those speeds.

It's all preference, and we buy cars for benefits that are important to us. The Volt would not work for me.....for you it does...congrats. It is a good car.

Here's a nice article of all the vehicles in the 40 MPG+ club. They all seem to be fairly nice.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/m...b/viewall.html

Out of curiosity, how long are the batteries warrantied and what is the cost of replacing them? Also, did you have to put one of those special 240v outlets in your home, or are you drawing from your 120V?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the volt and Prius and all the other economy cars. The VW has so much more BIG torque....it wasn't as benign feeling as the others....it really kicks out. The Volt was a cool car though...you really can't go wrong!!!!!

Yes, I pay $1.00 more per gallon, but I get way more in driving fun, and when I am at speed (70 +) on the highway, and I want to pass, it really moves out from that torque.

Then there's the DSG tranny....talk about fast shifts and responsiveness...

Here's an interesting emissions article comparing VW TDI with the Volt:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...han-vw-diesels
The big turn off for me on the TDI was the numerous quality issues I read about on some of the TDI specific forums. Seems the newer cars had a tendency to fail not long beyond the warranty period leaving a $1-2K repairbill. The older ones seemed to be much more reliable.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Why is this thread still here?
No ****, all the other ones get moved to someones pet forum quickly.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The big turn off for me on the TDI was the numerous quality issues I read about on some of the TDI specific forums. Seems the newer cars had a tendency to fail not long beyond the warranty period leaving a $1-2K repairbill. The older ones seemed to be much more reliable.
Actually, the Achilles heel is the HPFP. They have a failure rate of less than 1%, but if yours fails, it's 100%. The cost to fix it is around 6K. Ouch.

VW has extended the warranty on these, but still, it is a chance.

Many of us put an additive in the fuel, but if you're a diesel geek like most of us who own diesels, that's fun rather than a PITA. There have been no failures of the HPFP for those using the additive.....I add about 1/4 ounce /gallon.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I did drive them both the same day.

I figured the JSW was more of a "real" car. It had a much better range (.....Vegas to Cali and back on one tank....I can go at least 600 miles.), held way more cargo, more passengers, top (limited) speed much higher, and the torque felt much higher. The turbo kicks it hard, and the DSG was much more responsive. Cruising at 80-90 (which I commonly do on I-15) was easy......while the Chevy is just about maxing out at those speeds.

It's all preference, and we buy cars for benefits that are important to us. The Volt would not work for me.....for you it does...congrats. It is a good car.

Here's a nice article of all the vehicles in the 40 MPG+ club. They all seem to be fairly nice.

Out of curiosity, how long are the batteries warrantied and what is the cost of replacing them? Also, did you have to put one of those special 240v outlets in your home, or are you drawing from your 120V?
Agreed, horses for courses. For long trips like yours the JSW is a slam dunk, for short around-town jaunts the Volt is way better. Just interesting to me that you perceived the perf as being higher on the JSW while I felt the opposite.

Warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. Battery replacement cost is around $8K and based on numbers coming on from Prius cabs, expected lifespan is around 300K miles.

As I wrote earlier, a 240v charger is installed free of charge. It does a full charge in 4 hours and is eligible for a reduced electrical rate off peak of $0.06/kwh vs. $0.34/kwh.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PeterS
Agreed, horses for courses. For long trips like yours the JSW is a slam dunk, for short around-town jaunts the Volt is way better. Just interesting to me that you perceived the perf as being higher on the JSW while I felt the opposite.

Warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. Battery replacement cost is around $8K and based on numbers coming on from Prius cabs, expected lifespan is around 300K miles.

As I wrote earlier, a 240v charger is installed free of charge. It does a full charge in 4 hours and is eligible for a reduced electrical rate off peak of $0.06/kwh vs. $0.34/kwh.
Yeah, you don't want to drive a diesel for short trips...not real good for them. ..

300,000 miles for battery life is excellent. You probably won't have any replacement issues because you'll get another by then.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at the Volt again. My daughter will soon need a car to go back and forth from high school (20 miles each way) and the Volt may be the car to get.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is a summary of all the eco cars currently available in the US:
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
For the style of car, it's the best looking externally with that "shape" - if that makes any sense.

No it doesn't. What are you drunk?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 AM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not better styling than that Nissan leaf. . .
Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 AM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Prices in my area, http://www.truecar.com/

Volt @ $38,306 - $7500 tax credit = $31,006

Toyota Corolla LE @ $15844 + Toyota Yaris @ $14,064 = $29,908

$31,006 > $29,908

I thought it was striking that you could buy two gas-sipping Toyotas for less than the cost of one Chevrolet Volt, even with the tax subsidy.

OK to buy a Volt as a fashion accessory but you can probably buy a nice wristwatch for $15,162.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap that Volt interior is nice!

I likey and agree, they look the best hands down in the 'lectric car circle...............even though that a'int sayin' much.........
Old 11-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill d cat
Prices in my area, http://www.truecar.com/

Volt @ $38,306 - $7500 tax credit = $31,006

Toyota Corolla LE @ $15844 + Toyota Yaris @ $14,064 = $29,908

$31,006 > $29,908

I thought it was striking that you could buy two gas-sipping Toyotas for less than the cost of one Chevrolet Volt, even with the tax subsidy.

OK to buy a Volt as a fashion accessory but you can probably buy a nice wristwatch for $15,162.
Good analyses. Hybrids, especially the ones leaning towards city driving on nothing but battery power, are just that...city cars for those who travel less than 40 miles. For those uses they're probably great if you want to absorb the high pricing. I wouldn't want one for any real "stretching out" travel.

IMO electric cars are still too limited with a heck of a price tag....I think eventually the hybrids/electric vehicles will fade out entirely in favor of very high mileage diesels...like the European market.

We also haven't seen too much battery replacement in this vehicles. I've read they're between 6-10K. Add that to the price of the car when replacement time comes, or subtract it from resale value when selling time comes, and these vehicles are really costly.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

IMO electric cars are still too limited with a heck of a price tag....I think eventually the hybrids/electric vehicles will fade out entirely in favor of very high mileage diesels...like the European market.
In Europe, diesels have started to fade, because it has become quite expensive to meet emissions standards in small cars, and modern direct injection gasoline engines are nearly as efficient. They still make sense for larger cars, and for people who drive a lot, though.

I suspect we will eventually see more hybrids coming out of Europe, including diesel hybrids. Peugeot has developed a hybrid system that uses electric on the rear axles, and combustion in the front - it's easy to adopt to any car they make.

I agree that pure electric will take a long time to become mainstream, if it ever happens. I'd give the fuel cell a higher likelihood than the battery to power these.

Quick Reply: Gonna get a Chevy Volt, wish me luck.