General RL Opinions on Earlier Dodge Vipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile General RL Opinions on Earlier Dodge Vipers

Ok it is a Porsche board. But what about some other iron here.

What do you think about either the 1998 to 1999 Dodge Vipers, or one like the 2006 SRT 10 in the picture below? I know they dont turn that good, but hey Texas has a lot of long flat roads here. But they have to make good sounds and they certainly have serious horsepower up front under the hood.

I think I always gravitate toward that long front end on cars. The Viper, the older Jaguars like the E type, the older Vettes like the 1979-1981 or so (but I dont like Vettes too much), and the Porsche 951, are all of that front end snout look that I like.

I read a bit on the Viper but I dont know anyone that has one. And I have never been in one either.

But it at least seems desirable on a couple of levels. One is that you dont see too many of them like you do Vettes. And on another if I remember correctly, or dont misremember too much , it seems that the introdcution of Viper kind of re-started the larger performance car run that is still ongoing today. The Shelby design got it going for us all a little more.

What do you think about them ?

2006 SRT 10 with 500 Hp from its V10 !

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

I drove Vipers at a couple of Skip Barber schools.

My impression was that they were very very fast, but not awfully pleasant to drive.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thank you Bill. I really dont mean as a track day car or a race car. Just as a sometimes driver, a go out car, a Friday to work or Sunday morning run car, or a run to the local burger or wing stop. Or just in case my tractor or truck wont pull out a tree stump I need removed .
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,267 Posts

you will definitely look cool pulling up to Starbucks,
if you try to race a Corvette on a twisty road you may get beat.
I have worked on a few of the earlier cars,
and the suspension seems like it has been lifted off a pick up truck, its very crude underneath.
The engine OTOH is a torque monster

,Read this, good luck on you decision
http://www.allpar.com/model/viphist.htm
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
polecat702
Vegas, Baby!
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 162 Posts

Get a Pantera, timeless looks and fast.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew a guy who used to autocross his viper and I rode with him for a few of his runs at an event in Chicago.

The Viper is like a hammer. It's not pretty and it doesn't have a lot of finese, but it's fun to use and sometimes it just gets the job done.

Crude, but effective.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

My son had one briefly, and I drove it once. Scary. Front end felt disconnected from the back. He came to his senses and bought a Porsche.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my favorite cars is the GTS's. Love the double-hump roof and spoiler.

Friend just got rid of his '06 SRT-10. In stock form, not impressed. It didn't feel fast at all. Once he S/C'd, it had brute power/torque (800hp aggresive tune). Then, he threw on Moton's and the car was awesome.

That is when it became a super desirable car.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

It is not just about looking cool Mm. For this kind of money I want a quality car that I dont have to work on all the time. Just turn the key and go.

And Pcat I do like that look and only a few made. But one of the reasons I do like Porsche is that parts are available for these cars. For a Pantera I better get a new account at the machine shop too.

I would not have thought the Viper would get around a Ax track. Thanks Ray.

Disconnected aint good. Thanks Terry. The one in the pic only has 100 miles on it. Maybe thats why .

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Which one is the GTS Cory?

Supercharger - Yikes . I want to just have 300 reliable Hp in my 951 4 cylinder. So 500 or 600 sounds good here. But at 800 - YEEOOW ! I better get a get out of jail card. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unique garage name!

nothing to add about Vipers except to say i'd take one over a vette just for semi-rarity factor. wouldn't want to be in one when the road gets twisty though...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of our contractors ad one. I liked it. Not sure about the disconnected part, but then again every sportscar I have had has been engine in the front....it will brake loose on you if you're not mindful, but fun as hell.

It is stiff, and potholes are not your friend. But yeah, I would take one in a heartbeat.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
polecat702
Vegas, Baby!
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 162 Posts

Rider, everything on the Pantera, is available. The ZF, is the most expensive part, they just need to be safety wired. Ford engine, very reliable. Huge owner support group, just like the 928.

There isn't another car on the planet that can match the Pantera sound. Most people nowdays don't even know what they are. It's like driving a 700 Hp GoKart, with A/C. Radio is useless when you moving.
Pantera's draw a crowd.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

total viper production doesn't even equal one yr worth of vette production....much rarer.

i've always loved vipers, it's in my near future for a purchase.

people say they don't handle, but consider it out handled just about everything in it's league in the 90's i'd think its very capable. i think your best bet would be 96+, a lil more power than the early one's(450 vs 400) in 99 they introduced the ACR which had a tighter suspension and 460hp. in 03 it was bumped to 500hp, then in 08 to 600hp. in 06 they introduced electronic throttle and you can feel the delay between hitting the gas and response from the engine...which is ok. ABS wasn't introduced until 2003, theres no TCS in any of them, stability management...nope. oooo 99-03...forged internals, strap on the turbos or s/c and get it tuned.

early 90's rt/10's are below 30g, gts can be under 35g(if you really look), 03+ still over 50g, 2009-2010 still at 80-90+.

the thing doesn't break. the rear is the same that's found in a vette, camaro and firebird. the original engine is out of a dodge ram, it's tough, and as long as oil is done, it won't break. yearly maintenance is about 500 bucks...unless you can do your own oil changes. there is Viper tax, so find deals. front hubs for early cars are the same as dodge dakota's...thus the 6lug bolt pattern. don't be afraid of higher milage one's...that's really anything over 25k on the odo, but remember they don't break.

hope that helps, if you'd like more info, ask me
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thanks sydney and CPR too. Hey at least somebody else wants one.

Say compared to this. It rains here too . And who knows where some kit car Cobra parts are when you need them. But fun. A different fun from the Porsche if that makes sense.

I did drive one of these kit Cobras at a buddies of mine shop once. He said it had 600 hp in it. I believe it kind of. When I accelerated it pushed us back in the seat good. If I romped it a bit it tried to break loose in 2 nd and 3 rd. I did not try it higher or lower. I did not push the Cobra. The thought of me having to call a wrecker to get the newly done car out of a ditch or tree, or even scracthing it , was too much. But it was fun. I think it weighed about 1800 lbs or something like that and had the 427 in it. The kit was not made the same folks as this I dont think.

Quick Reply: General RL Opinions on Earlier Dodge Vipers