Notices

OT: Range Rover Sport HSE, 2011-2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts
Default OT: Range Rover Sport HSE, 2011-2012

All, I'm looking for a new daily driver to replace my 2005 S500 4matic mercedes. The MB is fully loaded with a full leather interior. Interior materials and finishing is very important to me.

The vehicles that I like in my price range are either a continental GT/flying spur or a RR Sport HSE (based generally on appearance, quality, materials, gadgetry, etc). The car will sit outside and at the train station, so i think the Bentley would be a bit much.

That leaves the RR sport. I would be looking at a low mileage 2011-2012 with an extended warranty. I will only buy one with the tan Luxury leather interior.

Now then, for people who have owned these things, a few questions:

1. How is the ride? I'm looking for cushy.
2. Is the gas mileage really in the 13/17 range?
3. How has the car held up? Interior in good shape? Common problem areas?
4. I'm hoping at this point the air suspension is not a major liability. Is this true?
5. In general, were you pleased with this car and would you buy again?

I've always liked the RR, but have been leery due to the reputation for poor quality/reliability.

thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a 2012 Evoque...love the fit and finish/quality. Double stiched leather. Been in snow and offroad and very sure-footed. Still early days, but i'm very satisfied with RR.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new RRS is pretty nice. The NA version now has the same HP as the older SC version. The new SC version is pumping out 500hp

The only issue I've heard has been some issues with the in NAV unit. No problems here so far, but at last drop off for scheduled maintenance tech said about 10% were coming back. The inside is not much different from the previous editions, but the ride is much better IMO. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I found with Range Rovers is that they seem to feel tight inside. Not sure exactly what it is, the fit and finish is awesome, leather is of good quality, wears fairly nicely. I found their aluminum trim isn't the most durable, but otherwise everything was nice, I just felt a little cramped in it, especially the back seats. Buying as new as you are, you should be fine, but keeping it, make sure regular maint is done and I don't think you will have a problem.

We have a 2006 RR Sport that regularly comes to the shop, they do regular oil changed, I wouldn't say even regular maint, and except for an O2 sensor code, it runs quite well for 300,000km on it. That being said I have seen a few come in our shop that are electrical nightmares. but that is only a few that I have seen, and we usually only see vehicles when there is a problem.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

A friend picked up a white one last year with 15K miles on it. Quirks like not all the 6 cameras working Is annoying.

I like them but am afraid of owning one outside of warranty. There is just so much electronics jammed into cara today..

Wish they offer the diesel option stateside.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

A couple of my buddies have the new ones either last year or this year. They like them so much that their wives also have them. They went back and got the wives a new one too. I think one is the Sport Supercharged and the other is the normal sport. The other guys have the Range Rover full size one with every available option I think.

They arent as good on gas as they say. They are hard on brakes. But mostly they are good otherwise. The ride is somewhat firm in the RR and somewhat rolly bouncy in the Sport too me. When I drove his SC one it is FAST for a big truck. He was always syaing floor it Rider - floor it - you are a racer.

Lot of guys that have them wont hardly have anything else. In the two above , now they got two of them for his and hers.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6k pounds and not that reliable from what I have heard, plus I wasn't impressed with interior (vs my 05 S600).
For that price, I would get a E63 wagon - 4matic now.
PL
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

I would jump at a low mileage s550 4matic any day over a RR. The 2012 -13 s 550 is leaps and bounds better than your 05. MB really stepped up their game from model year 09 forward imho.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

+1 on newer S550.
although many newer cars have terrible interior(unless Designo), the chassis feels 100x better than the the older ones...amazing what new computers are able to do on car designs for better balancing the ride for sport/comfort. my S600's V12TT is amazing, and the transmission is still pretty good even with 5sp (vs many newer cars' 7-8 speeds). however, it's painfully obvious when i go over bumps and/or poor roads, that the newer chassis has improved tremendously.
good luck.
Patrick
03 C4S
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

the late model 221s certainly do drive better than my 05, no question. That stated, I'm not in love with the looks, and especially not the plasticky interior. A 12/13 s550 designo will run me at least $70k, and I don't feel that they are $55k better than my current car, especially given that i don't love the looks.

The range, from my research, has too many reliability concerns.

So, I think I'm gonna keep my 05 for a while. I think its a gorgeous car inside and out and the designo package really is amazing. There are some things I don't love (the 4matic ride is a bit too rough for me, and the engine is a bit short on power), but all in all, I still really much enjoy it.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Good call on passing on the Range.

My experience with Range Rover, being in the car biz, is that they're unreliable...

If it were my money and I wanted a Range, I would lease instead of purchase. Keeps it under warranty and you don't have any exposure to any repair nightmares down the road. They're also famous for depreciating quickly.

That being said, they have good fit and finish, look nice and feel like tanks on the road.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: Range Rover Sport HSE, 2011-2012