Notices

Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain_Slow
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL...not quite that breed of Unimog, but pretty close... Here we are, somewhere in Washington or Oregon, making our way back along the Columbia Gorge. Back then I was Captain SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW. 53 mph the whole way...the regulator on the engine would maintain a constant rpm (not speed), but it had the effect of being a bit like cruise control because on inclines rpms would drop and the regulator sent more fuel to the engine (even if my foot was already to the floor). Kinda strange to feel and hear the engine work harder without inputs from me, then back off when rpm went above the limit. So a more accurate way to describe our progress would be 2800 RPM, coast to coast
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The first engine rebuild I did was on an Audi while I was in college. After about 300 miles it literally came apart throwing a rod thru the block. Found the torque wrench I had been using was inlbs instead of ftlbs.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Avar928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Gary Knox
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 212 Posts

Guys,

I really appreciate all who shared their personal "Darwin award" moments. I have had so MANY of those, I really can't remember them! Really laughed at Kurt's experience with the radiator hose, as I KNOW I've not only HAD that experience, I've probably repeated it a few times!

Cheers, and HAPPY Christmas season.

Gary--
Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 85 RX-7 I was getting ready to replace the clutch on and decided to leave the engine in and just remove the transmission.

Laying on the garage floor under the car without a creeper I realized after pulling the drive shaft that I forgot to drain the gear lube. It leaked out faster than I could get out from under the car and got gear lube in my hair and clothes. After a few hours of the smell I shaved my head and burned the clothes.

Not one of my better moments.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by depami
I know a guy that changed the oil in his '79 Subaru 4WD wagon with flat 4 and 4sp manual.

Drove 20 miles to a buddies where I was at and told us he changed his oil and now it smoked, ran crappy and sounded funny.

We quickly determined that he drained the transmission and filled the oil.
A fellow rennlister sent me pictures of the underside of a Toyota truck from his dealership. Customer came in with complaints of poor running/driving. That's what this guy had done too - drained his trans and filled oil. I don't recall if there was permanent damage or not.

You'd think DIYers would get a color clue from trans fluid when they drained it, but apparently not.

Quick Reply: Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!