Panamera 2010-Current

18 Panamera Turbo vs Turbo Sport Turismo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:11 AM
lstoker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 18 Panamera Turbo vs Turbo Sport Turismo

My apologies for what is about to be a bit lengthy post... I've spent time behind the wheel of both these and can't decide. A bit of background and what my intentions are for the car -

Looking to make this my daily driver, I've always had a weekend car as my side girl, but life has gotten in the way and I spend too much time traveling and away from home for it make sense any longer to have a weekend car. My crazy idea is to find a fun and sporty car to replace my daily driver. I've had multiple P cars in the past, Boxster S, Cayman GT4, 997.2 C4S, 991 GT3, and many other fun rides from other manufacturers, GEN5 Viper, E92 M3, M4, C63S, etc. Nothing super exotic, but I guess I've owned much of what's entertaining under the 200K USD mark which is making it difficult to find the 'right' car for this project. I live in Colorado so I need something with AWD, you never know when you'll fly back into the airport and there is snow on the ground unexpected with our weather so that pushed me to look for a new 991.2 C4S or Turbo, was going down that route pretty hard but was concerned that overall size of the frunk may limit much of my daily use so my dealer threw the keys to a Panamera at me yesterday...

I've never really been a fan to be fair, I was the 2 door coupe kind of guy. We don't have children and it's just the wife and I. Have to say though, I really liked the new Panamera... Love the interior and technology integration that has gone into it. It seems although it has the 4 door moniker, it's the right mix of daily driver, versatility, power, and still feels like a Porsche. I've read about some reliability issues, but they seem limited, hard to say based on the sample size though.

I like the Sport Turismo, I spend much time in Europe on business so I've always been exposed to high power wagons. I like the niche but my dealer was saying sales have been terrible and Porsche has already limited allocations moving forward based on a lack of interest in the US market. I could get a great deal on a Sport Turismo, but I'm concerned about future resale... I typically keep my cars 2-3 years and they have 30-35K miles on them when I trade. Normally that would be the perfect example of a lease opportunity, but the lease options on Porsche's aren't that great and the residuals on Turbo's are terrible.

Any recommendations or something I'm missing here???
Old 10-10-2018, 12:03 PM
TAG ceo
Advanced

A little off topic, but I have a 2018 sport turismo turbo with approx 6000 miles on it - it was pretty loaded ($205,000 msrp) that I'm considering selling. With a special needs son - i find myself driving our SUV most of the time. PM me if it's something you may be interested in. Prior to this one I had 3 panamera's and I enjoyed every one of them, the car truly is a mix of sport, luxury and practicality that cannot be matched by much.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
fkim119
AutoX

I believe the Sport Tourismo comes with a bench like seat in the back without the center tunnel that comes in the regular PTT. Although the center seat is rendered almost useless, it would be a 4 seater vs a 5seater.

Personally love the Sport Tourismo and the look. I would say go for it!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard the same about resale value with the Turismos. I personally am not a fan of wagons, but if you do like the wagon look, there is nothing better than a Pan Turismo period.

I have a 18 Pan Turbo sedan with 5K on clock, Car is great and way better than any BMW M car or Mercedes AMG I have owned (M6 GC and AMG S63) in terms of engineering, looks, and exclusivity. I personally prefer the sedan with the rear spoiler and 4 seat layout. When spoiler (which is the best spoiler in the automotive world right now) is up is really does get as close to as Stretched 911 turbo in terms of looks as you will get.

I did get to drive a 4S turismo as a loaner car and it drives the same as sedan, and surprisingly I had a lot of people outright compliment me with the car, people just walking down the street.

My advice to you, is pick what you like, but resale will be higher with the sedan. But then again, this level of car (175-210K) vehicle is going to depreciate pretty bad either way and you shouldn't really worry about that.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've previously owned two Panameras (as well as an RS7) and in March picked up my Turbo Sport Turismo. I also always have a sports car on the side, almost always a 911. I've gone from base Carrera all the way to GT3, and presently drive a 991.2 GTS.

I LOVE my wagon! I haul bicycles around with me, skis, and just the general crap of life. Single, no kids, so that's not an issue.

I just did an 800 mile drive to Rennsport in Monterey, with a bike in the back. I found some amazing back roads on the way, and of course Route 1 through Big Sur. Although it wasn't the same as driving a 911 on the same roads, it was still absolutely terrific. I had an absolute blast in the car. I strong recommend the optional rear wheel steering as that just adds a whole new level of feel and maneuverability to the car. ( I would describe my driving style as "spirited" -- I've been a PCA AX an autocross certified instructor for close to a decade.)

I think the Panamera is exactly what you're looking for, and I think the added versatility of the ST makes a great car even better. Personally, I think it looks better than the sedan, but I'll admit to a bias here.

What I can't address, though, is resale. Based on my observations at my local dealership, the ST's seem to sit for a while before sale. I can't say how much they're being discounted to help them move. I got a smoking deal on mine, but it was the very first one they got in (I'd ordered it 10 months earlier) and it's my 10th new car from them in a decade. I don't think you can conclude much from all of that.

With a car this expensive I can see how resale is a factor to consider. Then again, if cost is that great a concern - maybe it just isn't the right car.

But if you get one, you'll have a fantastic car!

DMoore
'18 Panamera Turbo ST
'18 991.2 GTS
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I am a big fan of the ST - in fact, if it were not for the ST, I would probably be driving a BMW :-)

If you are getting a good deal for a ST, then go for. If you can buy cheap, you can afford to sell cheap, that is how I see things in life :-)

Unlike most of the forum members here, this is my first and only Porsche. Life here in Europe is too expensive to own a weekend car (just road tax for a P is like 200€ per month, on top another 150€ for the insurance.. so 350€ and you have yet to drive a mile ). But having said that, I am impressed how planted the car is when driving through the alps. It maybe bcause of the air suspension, or the 21 wheels, or the rear wheel steering, or the wide rear axle... whatever it is, the package alloys you to cruise in the city (with the current tank of fuel, i have driving about 300 miles averaging 80mpg) and when needed throw the car in the curves and not feel the size and weight.

I do have some negative thoughts to the car: the boot is not hardly bigger compared to the normal panny.. but hey, you buy the ST for looks and not only for practicality reasons :-)

regading limited allocations - don't fall for this. Porsche had a general production stop of the majority of cars from 1st September because of the new WLTP emission control. Colleague of mine wanted to buy a cayenne and he was told he can only expect delivery something in March. Same applies for the Panamera. So please don't be surprised that there are not that many allocations available..
Old 10-13-2018, 06:44 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I may be mistaken but I had the impression that all the ST had 3 seats at the back (but there's still some kind of a center console : middle seat clearly ain't that convenient) but... That you could take the 3 seats in the back as an option even on a regular Panamera now.

What I don't like about the ST is that the trunk doesn't offer that much additional room : at least nothing really usable compared to a regular Panamera.

And you then miss what makes the Panamera unique : some kind of a 911 but with 4 doors. The ST looks like a big Audi. It's not ugly or anything but it's in my opinion a shape that's more common and not very "Panamera".
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Personally, I prefer the look of the wagon, and the marginal increase in practicality is beneficial too. I don’t anticipate any significant difference in residual value, and supply and demand are generally matched. If anything, the Sport Turisimo wagon may even command a premium when it’s older due to its rarity, similar to how older manual transmission sports cars command a premium over autos.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I personally prefer the hatch sedan to the full hatchback but if that’s want get it - don’t buy a car like this for resale! Panameras lose big in the first 3 years 😭
Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Give me the sedan... Nothing against the hatch but if you're a coupe guy at heart. The sedan will be true to your nature. The hatch is a little left. I'm afraid that after the novelty wears off you'll be looking to unload it.

Quick Reply: 18 Panamera Turbo vs Turbo Sport Turismo