Panamera 2010-Current

Need longer charging cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:59 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need longer charging cable

The cable connects the car to the charger for the e-hybrid is 8’ in length, Porsche offers a longer cable, I believe it is roughly 25’ in length. Most Porsche thing ever... it’s $650. For the cable and connector.

In searching online I am finding a lot of different options, but almost all of them are UK-based and have a different connector. Has anyone sourced a longer cable for the car to charger for USA models? Would appreciate any pointers.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:34 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cables are expensive because they're designed to repeatedly carry a large amount of current safely, this is no regular extension cord that you plug your Christmas lights into. You can save about a $100 bucks if you order through suncoast. Personally I would not risk burning my house down with an inferior charging cable to save a few bucks.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by PTEC
The cables are expensive because they're designed to repeatedly carry a large amount of current safely, this is no regular extension cord that you plug your Christmas lights into. You can save about a $100 bucks if you order through suncoast. Personally I would not risk burning my house down with an inferior charging cable to save a few bucks.
you must work for PCNA

Other EV chargers seem to safely manage on cables that are half the price of Porsche. You can buy a complete ChargePoint home charger, with 25’ cable, for $750 and that includes the actual charging module that Porsche sells for $2,500.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 PM
PanEhybrid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This ^^^^. My Porsche cable is in a closet collecting dust because I wanted something cleaner installed on the wall. I purchased the Chargepoint solution from Amazon and have been happy ever since.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 PM
mllarson
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

+3 for the ChargePoint. We have a Telsa charger at home and put in a ChargePoint charger up at our cabin even though it was nearly the same price as the Tesla charger - it is nice to have the multiple car options up there. Both home and cabin are running on 40A, no problem (though that is the limit of the ChargePoint).
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 AM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by PTEC
FWIW, charging systems for EVs follow industry standards, which is why Porsche is interoperable with other chargers and vice versa. Level 2 charging is only sending 30 amps at 240v, about what your kitchen appliances use and yes you can safely send that through a 10 gauge extension cord, a bit overkill for Christmas lights but it works for that as well... we are not talking about 3 phase power. If you have the standard 3.2kW onboard charger, you are only taking 16 amps continuously. A moderately priced Christmas light extension cord is rated for 20 amps.

This is household sized power because that is where these systems are installed. Do not fool yourself into thinking Porsche invented some unique charging technology. We are paying the Porsche badge premium for industry standard technology, nothing more.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM
jnolan
Pro

I found an entire selection of level 2 EV extension cables on Amazon, A 25’ cable is running about $200. The quality of the connectors is high and the wire gauge of the cable itself is significant heavier than what Porsche ships. As an added bonus, I can run my Christmas lights on them this year!

Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JNolan- what brand extension cable did you get? Looks like it would solve my problems as the 8 foot cord is too short. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:50 AM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by Jmiran
JNolan- what brand extension cable did you get? Looks like it would solve my problems as the 8 foot cord is too short. Thanks.
Morec J1772 Extension Cable, 40Amp 20ft EV Extension Cord for EV Charging Stations
Amazon Amazon

works great
Old 01-25-2020, 02:58 AM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2021, 03:06 PM
MOZUSA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have written a unique question. I am very happy with your question and I will include some of your information in my blog.
I also have some information like you please read more at : MOZUSA.COM

Quick Reply: Need longer charging cable