Panamera 2010-Current

PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by eric jackson
Yes and no. When I do the hard reboot, it resets within three minutes. Today the dealer in Fremont Ca. said it cannot be rebooted, and I had to pay for a new one my self for $3100 and the PCM’s are out of stock for the next few months. I just emailed Porsche USA to see what they say.
You should not have taken their word for it and I'd advise you to get your money back. I called XM and sat on the phone with them until they confirmed that they'd stopped sending a signal to my car, and that they would remove the tuner from their database. Car has been 100% ever since.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:44 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eric jackson
Yes and no. When I do the hard reboot, it resets within three minutes. Today the dealer in Fremont Ca. said it cannot be rebooted, and I had to pay for a new one my self for $3100 and the PCM’s are out of stock for the next few months. I just emailed Porsche USA to see what they say.
it could be your hard drive for fried during the update. There is a fix for this. It involves replacing the hard drive with an sSd. The older models with 3.4 software have an ide drive so an ide to sata adapter is needed. The newer ones using 4.3 software are sata now. The thread covers how to replace the drive and get it running. Not really very difficult. On many older PCMS the hard drive fails and you get a constatant rebooting because the firmware can’t get the hard drive to boot. Search for this thread.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Peter Anjorin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viclovin
I also have a 2010 Panamera 4s with PCM 3.1 v1.35 the Milwaukee Porsche dealer tried the procedure on mine and it didn't work, he tried telling me that I needed a new PCM I told him he was out of his mind, this just happened with the XM stupid update, my pcm was flawless before that.
I also have a 2010, with the same pcm software version. The vehicle handover test does not work. Just left local dealer who is also trying to tell me I need a new PCM. Any luck getting yours fixed?
Old 07-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Took my 2010 to the dealer this week and they said nothing can be done, other than replace the PCM for $3500. They suggested getting something aftermarket for that price or much less. Said the only guidance Porsche gave them in this kind of situation is to not offer the customer a radio.

Porsche and Sirius should be ashamed for abandoning customers like this. If there was a hardware failure on all of these radios, it certainly seems like this update was related to it, possibly the repeated resets corrupting or damaging the HDD.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Took my 2010 to the dealer this week and they said nothing can be done, other than replace the PCM for $3500. They suggested getting something aftermarket for that price or much less. Said the only guidance Porsche gave them in this kind of situation is to not offer the customer a radio.

Porsche and Sirius should be ashamed for abandoning customers like this. If there was a hardware failure on all of these radios, it certainly seems like this update was related to it, possibly the repeated resets corrupting or damaging the HDD.
This is a fixable problem. The XM update clearly tried to write to a damaged section of the Hard disk. Dealers don’t repair the PCM but they can be repaired. Many have suffered the same rebooting issue even without the XM update, when they examined the hard drive they all found bad sectors. The older pcms like mine and yours are a little tougher fix because they are IDE hard drives and not available anymore. PCMS with the 4.3 software are SATA hard drives and can simple replace them with SSD’s directly. In our case we can get an IDE to msata adapter and a msata ssd drive. Then you need to follow the instructions in the post for creating the file structure. finally the update disk will restore the operating system. Problem solved and future issues prevented due to the SSd being better suited for a moving vehicle. Amazon sells both the ide to msata adapter and the msata drives. You can configure the drive on a pc or laptop then stick it in the PCM.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Here is the link to the detailed instructions to fixing the PCM https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...date-loop.html

Old 07-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Beastmd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
This is a fixable problem. The XM update clearly tried to write to a damaged section of the Hard disk.
This doesn't make sense. Hard drives rarely get damaged in the same place for multiple devices. I seriously doubt the hard drive will fix the XM update causing the failure.

2010 PTT owner with 1.35 here. Mine was doing same thing. Tried everything and did handover, reset hundreds of times. Canceling my service and waiting 2 weeks fixed the issue. I left the fuse out and every few days plugged it back in for a drive. Eventually i left it plugged in overnight and it removed the service and battery didn't die overnight. Then the 1st week of july has free XM service and it was working perfectly with XM for the whole time. Today I re-enabled my service and back to the rebooting. I'm 99.99% positive a lineup change caused this issue. Likely they added something like channel 1000 which is more numbers than the radio can handle. Also makes sense because the free service has limited channels so might not have this channel. Also I noticed that there are multiple XM packages so i'm wondering if some users who have them working are on a smaller package (85 channels) and others have all the channels. I see "refreshing channel list" on my radio all the time when its restarting which would explain the issue with unable to add channel. The radio freezes and becomes unresponsive before it reboots which indicates a software issue and not hardware. I'm almost positive it has a update from XM its trying to load which takes 1-2 minutes then can't update the package to the radio firmware so radio locks up and if unresponsive for X seconds the bios reboot it (typical auto firmware failsafe).

From my research this is only affecting the older PCMs around 2010-2011 and newer ones can do the handover to fix it. Its astonishing that neither Porsche or Sirius XM have a fix or even acknowledged this is an issue.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

I agree that it is suspicious that so many early Panameras are seeing the exact same behavior and failure. Hard to believe they all had the same vulnerability that was exposed with this OTA update.

Originally Posted by Beastmd
Canceling my service and waiting 2 weeks fixed the issue. I left the fuse out and every few days plugged it back in for a drive.
I have not been successful in fixing the issue as you have described.Canceled my service, and still receive all channels. Was told that was because of the free trial ending July 6th when I called (many, many times). It's now past the free trial and am still getting all channels. Tried the handover many times and pulled the fuse overnight (while parked in the garage). Only thing I can think that I haven't tried is pulling the fuse and leaving the car outside overnight, but I can't imagine that having a clear view of the sky would make a difference if there is no power to the radio.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:39 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
I agree that it is suspicious that so many early Panameras are seeing the exact same behavior and failure. Hard to believe they all had the same vulnerability that was exposed with this OTA update.

I have not been successful in fixing the issue as you have described. Canceled my service, and still receive all channels. Was told that was because of the free trial ending July 6th when I called (many, many times). It's now past the free trial and am still getting all channels. Tried the handover many times and pulled the fuse overnight (while parked in the garage). Only thing I can think that I haven't tried is pulling the fuse and leaving the car outside overnight, but I can't imagine that having a clear view of the sky would make a difference if there is no power to the radio.
It can take few weeks or more to disconnect the service. Your car needs to be outside, radio running to receive the signal. Then the signal needs to be sent during the time it is outside. Cancellation signals are not sent continuously. They are rotate through all the cancellations and feed them when they are not sending activations. As far as multiple hard drives failing at the same place, read the thread about radios rebooting. The early PCM's used IDE drives where as 2013 and beyond use SATA drives and those IDE drives are now 10 years old. Its not surprising that they might have a few bad sectors. It is possible,(i don't know this for a fact) that the update from XM required more HD space than the original, likely since they would verify an update before deleting the original in case of corruption during download. It's entirely possible that during that file download and writing to a new place on the disk, the place had bad sectors and caused the rebooting issue. Given that it is the same problem as people who have verified bad hard disks, before I would spend $3100 on a new PCM, I would buy a IDE SSD(the brand specified in the thread) and download the update file onto a USB drive then update the swap the drive. You don't even need to disconnect the PCM to do this, merely unscrew it and pull it out to access the HD hatch. That's a $80 total investment that 1, may solve your problem and 2, provides a more reliable HD for the future
Old 07-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Musjiwani
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to this

Hi guys, thank you all for posting and sharing your stories. I am looking to buy a porsche cayenne s 2011. I went to the dealership yesterday and the screen kept rebooting. The dealer suggested to upgrade to a "tesla style" screen....Just wondering if any of you can comment on if this a legit option, or if there are any risk..or any success stories with aftermarket screen. Thanks!
MJ
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Musjiwani
Hi guys, thank you all for posting and sharing your stories. I am looking to buy a porsche cayenne s 2011. I went to the dealership yesterday and the screen kept rebooting. The dealer suggested to upgrade to a "tesla style" screen....Just wondering if any of you can comment on if this a legit option, or if there are any risk..or any success stories with aftermarket screen. Thanks!
MJ
No such upgrade. The backup camera is tied to the PCM, So is the small screen next to the speedo. If you remove the PCM, you will have errors all the time, Dealers don't know anything about how to replace the hardrive. Negotiate a $3100 reduction for the PCM then fix it yourself
The following users liked this post:
Musjiwani (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Update: Another hour wasted with SXM support > Tech Support > Escalated ticket filed. Still receiving all SXM channels over ONE MONTH after canceling service. They are absolutely no help. Mouth breathers. Not asking them to solve the reboot loop issue, just cut off the service so we can check off that box in troubleshooting. Wanted to charge me to re-activate and then try de-activating (my suggestion, they had no ideas whatsoever). I hung up.

Took matters in my hands. Yanked the PCM. Disconnected the SXM antenna. Vehicle handover procedure, pulled the fuse, let it set. Fired back up... and... still reboot loop.

Pulled HDD from PCM, and... reboot loop stopped. Ok. That's something we can work with.

Now digging through the long threads on how to replace the HDD. There is a lot of noise on those threads - things tried, then failed. Not yet clear to me which exact HDD replacement model works in the 3.1. Will keep digging, but at least a step closer. No thanks to SXM or Porsche. Rennlist to the rescue.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike Murcia:
Dominic Wells (07-13-2020), Musjiwani (07-10-2020), Panamera4205 (10-03-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Beastmd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to update radio rebooted on full package. Downgraded to cheap package (85 channels) and still rebooted after a few days. Service was changed almost instantly but didn't fix issue. Just cancelled service again so we'll see how long until it fixes.

I own a tech company and don't see how a HDD would affect this and if it did then why would a handover fix newer ones? Just because a drive is old doesn't mean it had bad blocks or any issues. We have plenty of 30 year old spinning disks in production. Sure the drive isn't in ideal conditions (moving, extreme temp changes) but still shouldn't be an issue.
Regardless if mine isn't fixed in a day or so I'll swap the drive and even test the drive to see.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:45 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I’ve suggested this before on a joyeauto thread but why don’t you just remove the daughter board? Got to be worth a try.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:05 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stringbag
I’ve suggested this before on a joyeauto thread but why don’t you just remove the daughter board? Got to be worth a try.
This works. I did it today and no more rebooting.

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?