Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Excellent!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Peter Anjorin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
This works. I did it today and no more rebooting.
Does the PCM still function without the daughter board? Please can you post a pic of what the daughter board looks like and where to find it.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Anjorin
Does the PCM still function without the daughter board? Please can you post a pic of what the daughter board looks like and where to find it.
PCM functions great without it. XM Automatically drops off the menu as an option in the PCM with the card removed. I didn’t take a picture of it specifically, but you can see the Heat sink fins of it in this photo I took when installing the CarPlay upgrade.

Inside of PCM with XM radio card below the CarPlay card.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Anjorin (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Peter Anjorin
5th Gear

PCM functions great without it. XM Automatically drops off the menu as an option in the PCM with the card removed. I didn’t take a picture of it specifically, but you can see the Heat sink fins of it in this photo I took when installing the CarPlay upgrade.

ok thanks! I’ll give this a try.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Peter Anjorin
5th Gear

Mike! This works! Thanks! I just pulled out the daughter board and no more rebooting!
I also wanted to ask what apple car play system did you install? Does it work well? Thinking it may be worth installing this before I button up everything. Thanks again, this is a huge help, and I’ve been driving around for 2 months with a radio that reboots every 2 minutes!

Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Search for Joyeauto Peter. Quite a few threads on here and other Porsche forums.
Almost universally positive reports - I think it’s brilliant.
It consists of a daughter board and an external interface box about the size of a wallet and that’s it. Keep your PCM, Loose no functionality at all. Wired and wireless CarPlay. And android equivalent.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Peter Anjorin
5th Gear

ok thanks!

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Search for Joyeauto Peter. Quite a few threads on here and other Porsche forums.
Almost universally positive reports - I think it’s brilliant.
It consists of a daughter board and an external interface box about the size of a wallet and that’s it. Keep your PCM, Loose no functionality at all. Wired and wireless CarPlay. And android equivalent.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Interestingly, I had the same issues on my 991, but after the 2nd reboot, haven't had issues since (Knock on wood) and still have serious service. I didn't have to go to the extremes of having to remove PCM etc....

I had Fremont work on the previous Panny that I bought from them, also they had to replace the PCM before from non-stop reboot a couple of years ago. I personally wouldn't send any of my vehicles over there to fix. Just my.02 The young service guys were cool, but I just don't know the mechanics that worked on my previous car that had it going back to dealership literally for 8 weeks straight for issue weekly.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 AM
Panamera4205
4th Gear

Default PCM Rebooting.

Update: Another hour wasted with SXM support > Tech Support > Escalated ticket filed. Still receiving all SXM channels over ONE MONTH after canceling service. They are absolutely no help. Mouth breathers. Not asking them to solve the reboot loop issue, just cut off the service so we can check off that box in troubleshooting. Wanted to charge me to re-activate and then try de-activating (my suggestion, they had no ideas whatsoever). I hung up.

Took matters in my hands. Yanked the PCM. Disconnected the SXM antenna. Vehicle handover procedure, pulled the fuse, let it set. Fired back up... and... still reboot loop.

Pulled HDD from PCM, and... reboot loop stopped. Ok. That's something we can work with.

Now digging through the long threads on how to replace the HDD. There is a lot of noise on those threads - things tried, then failed. Not yet clear to me which exact HDD replacement model works in the 3.1. Will keep digging, but at least a step closer. No thanks to SXM or Porsche. Rennlist to the rescue.
Thanks will try. What exactly is HDD totally new to this. Thanks again
Old 10-03-2020, 10:40 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Panamera4205
Thanks will try. What exactly is HDD totally new to this. Thanks again
HDD is Hard disk drive. The XM radio uses a Hard drive to store it's programming information. During the last update, for those that have existing service, the update writes to an area of the disk not actively used by the XM radio. People with older units have had issues where that section of drive was damaged and the update would not write over the existing software and cause non stop rebooting. Some were successful shutting down the service which caused the update to write to the active disk area and that worked. Others were not able to do this. The issue is that this hard disk is failing in time on these devices, Porsche does not service them. However they are just commercial hard drives that can be replaced. Complicating the issue is that the PCM uses two types of hard drives. The older models 2010 to 2013 use an IDE hard drive which is difficult but not impossible to replace. The newer ones use SATA hard drives which are readily available. Some people have been successful using a IDE to SATA adapter available on amazon then a mini SATA hard drive. (need mini to fit both in the space available) Your software version can tell you if you have a SATA or a IDE drive so no need to open. Version 3.* are IDE and 4.* are SATA. If your drive is functioning, you can remove it, clone it on a pc using free software to a SSD which would extend the life and lower the power usage. Threads are available on how to do this or you can pay people here to do it for you. If your drive is non functional, its a little more complicated, you need to format your new drive and partition it correctly, then load the base software on it. The update disk seems to have this software. Again there are threads that go through this procedure.

Hopefully this helps you and everyone else on what is happening and why, and how it is fixable.
The following users liked this post:
Panamera4205 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 02:40 AM
Panamera4205
4th Gear

Default PCM Rebooting

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
HDD is Hard disk drive. The XM radio uses a Hard drive to store it's programming information. During the last update, for those that have existing service, the update writes to an area of the disk not actively used by the XM radio. People with older units have had issues where that section of drive was damaged and the update would not write over the existing software and cause non stop rebooting. Some were successful shutting down the service which caused the update to write to the active disk area and that worked. Others were not able to do this. The issue is that this hard disk is failing in time on these devices, Porsche does not service them. However they are just commercial hard drives that can be replaced. Complicating the issue is that the PCM uses two types of hard drives. The older models 2010 to 2013 use an IDE hard drive which is difficult but not impossible to replace. The newer ones use SATA hard drives which are readily available. Some people have been successful using a IDE to SATA adapter available on amazon then a mini SATA hard drive. (need mini to fit both in the space available) Your software version can tell you if you have a SATA or a IDE drive so no need to open. Version 3.* are IDE and 4.* are SATA. If your drive is functioning, you can remove it, clone it on a pc using free software to a SSD which would extend the life and lower the power usage. Threads are available on how to do this or you can pay people here to do it for you. If your drive is non functional, its a little more complicated, you need to format your new drive and partition it correctly, then load the base software on it. The update disk seems to have this software. Again there are threads that go through this procedure.

Hopefully this helps you and everyone else on what is happening and why, and how it is fixable.
Thanks again!
How do I pull the HDD? Do I need to open unit, I have already removed the unit what do discount. What works still after removing.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:31 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

There is a small door on the top of the unit held by one screw and marked by a void warranty if opened sticker. Remove the screw and the HD is exposed. Based on other users experience, I believe if you remove the HD, the only thing that doesn't work is XM radio. I cannot confirm this as I haven't tried it.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:30 PM
Panamera4205
4th Gear

Default Panamera PCM Rebooting

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
There is a small door on the top of the unit held by one screw and marked by a void warranty if opened sticker. Remove the screw and the HD is exposed. Based on other users experience, I believe if you remove the HD, the only thing that doesn't work is XM radio. I cannot confirm this as I haven't tried it.

Is this the HDD?

Is this the HDD? I removed and my XM is still working. My maps are not.

Last edited by Panamera4205; 10-04-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Navigation does not work when I removed
Old 10-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the HDD. Removing it will only disable the Maps and jukebox if you have it. XM is managed by the receiver deeper within the PCM.

Originally Posted by Panamera4205

Is this the HDD?

Is this the HDD? I removed and my XM is still working. My maps are not.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:01 AM
Panamera4205
4th Gear

Default Panamera PCM Rebooting

That is the HDD. Removing it will only disable the Maps and jukebox if you have it. XM is managed by the receiver deeper within the PCM.
Removing the HDD seems to have worked. I drove the car for about 30 minutes then turned off waited like 30 minutes restarted and left running for 15 minutes and no rebooting.
No more Navigation, but I really don’t care. Will keep you posted if something changes. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?