Panamera 2010-Current

PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

2011 Panamera Base, today PCM started shutting off while car running. Display goes blank, then get Porsche splash screen, then liability screen. Stays on for about 2.5 minutes and "reboots" again. Drove home about 30 minutes and like clockwork every 2+ minutes. I input active navigation to my house just to see and it retains the active navigation upon reboot. An enigma wrapped in a riddle. 78K miles, latest PCM software and maps done in 2019. Nothing is connected (USB, phone, etc.).
Looked online and there are fresh reports today on other sites of this same activity. Here's one from 6 Speed online posted today.
"ATTENTION TO ALL!!
Talked to my dealership multiple time about PCM reboot that started yesterday evening.
Bob in Louisville (Nice guy in service) stated "XM Sat Radio put out an update that is causing ALL Porsche cars with PCM to have this reboot ever 2 min"!! I won't bore you with to many detail, but from what I know about how XM sends updates, I believe it!!!
My indi shop in Lex KY is also getting lots of calls... " and another owner same thread, "Happened to me today on the way home from work!!!!! This is crazy!!!!"
I'll see how it goes. Nut farm...

The following users liked this post:
ptcolombo (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:49 PM
dragan
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

happen to me this morning .after work I call porsche to make service appointment and answer was : it is problem that happens yesterday ALL Porsche vehicle whit XM are effected and update will cam thru satellite radio .
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dragan
happen to me this morning .after work I call porsche to make service appointment and answer was : it is problem that happens yesterday ALL Porsche vehicle whit XM are effected and update will cam thru satellite radio .
I was on the phone with Porsche NA because my local dealer just told me to call them with the sorry, we can't help you...attitude. They were trying to walk me through the Porsche Handover instructions but made no sense. In short, I was not able to get it done but for those of you who are savvier with the car, that's what they said to do.

Let me know if there are any You Tube videos out there on this.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Crom2k
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the handover routine. You lose all of your settings. Big Bummer and supposed to be a temporary fix.
LunnBeLurkin (05-25-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crom2k
I did the handover routine. You lose all of your settings. Big Bummer and supposed to be a temporary fix.
What do you mean by it being a temporary fix? Like it's gonna keep coming back? Thanks!

This is so bizarre....we had Xirius on our Lexus and we've never had an issue. This is baffling.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 PM
Crom2k
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of the impression I got from the service advisor. I guess we will know in a few days.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Max9889
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan S PCM is self rebooting

After Sirius XM signal activated, PCM reboots every 5 minute - seems as software glitch, calling a dealer in Houston, service guy stated you are probably #52 calling today about this problem, hope PORSCHE can look into this - as for this moment he stated NO idea what to do....
Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

This is what the dealer sent:
Here is the key instruction: "Please be aware this procedure will delete all presets, navigation destinations, telephones, etc., from the PCM. A PIWIS Tester II is not required to carry out the following procedure and it is also described in the PCM operator's manual under the heading "Resetting personal settings". This procedure can be carried out by the customer, the vehicle is not required to be in the workshop. - Press and hold the PCM >> Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots. - Immediately select the following from the PCM: CAR >> OPTION >>Set PCM System >>Reset PCM >> Vehicle Handover >> Yes >> Yes"

This is what Porsche NA sent:
Please perform a PCM handover (also known as a PCM hard reset):

Press and hold the PCM>>Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes

I am a total deuce because I only could get it to hard reboot with the 10 seconds but press Car button and then Option button did nothing - it just rebooted back to my radio stations!!

But if this helps anyone else - good luck!
ptcolombo (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crom2k
I'll take any fix for now. Drove me crazy on my drive to work today.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:46 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Does any one know if XM has even acknowledged the issue?
Shari Scoggin (06-11-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Dude! Weird. Mine just started this this morning. Did the handover thing and it appears to have rectified the problem
Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

I don’t know but is it really an XM issue? I resorted to drive my husband’s Lexus this morning to get radio and make calls. It had no problems.

I’m not a car person (even though I love them!) but it strikes me as odd that the issue is occurring with Cayenne and Panamera PCMs only. Per Porsche NA on that last bit of affected cars.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:21 PM
raythecanuck
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same with me - two Porsches with XM enabled.

The wife's 2010 Panamera 4s with XM enabled started doing the 2+ min. reboot two days ago - figured it was a PCM issue. Car was sitting a few weeks of I charged up the battery thinking it might be low. Same issue.

We also have a 2015 Macan Turbo with XM Radio enabled and it just started happening to it today. At least it seems like an XM update issue. I'll try the hard reset and report back.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Check the 991 threads for the solution. Involves reboot and then a download from Sirius. All Porsche products with Sirius suddenly having this problem.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:43 PM
pencarrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question deactivate XM radio

Is it possible to deactivate xm radio only ?

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?