Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2012 Pana4 blower not spinning... On road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Pana4 blower not spinning... On road trip!

Hey all. On a road trip for work and today the AC stopped working. Actually the fan doesn't spin anymore. Heat or AC, doesn't matter. I will be driving home (700miles) on Friday and have all my stuff (durametric) back there. Quick question. Can I bypass the blower? Or is there a fuse? Or something more...? Again, don't have availability for much more than a bandaid till my return home. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Was it making any sounds indicating the blower was on its last leg, or did it just quit? I had the death squeal on my 2010 before the blower seized. If this is the case with yours, a temporary fix is the lubricate the blower. It can be found in the passenger footwell. Need to pull the kickpanel below the glovebox to get to it.
The following users liked this post:
levdeb (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

seems to be a day for that kind of thing, my fan was on (you could hear it) but no air was coming out (I only had to drive 170 miles )
The following users liked this post:
levdeb (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI there was a recall on the fan blower, it might be covered. Water could infiltrate and cause failure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil_PPTT:
levdeb (06-18-2020), roddylennox (06-26-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 04:56 PM
RSBIII
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blower motor + regulator are easy to access and to check/replace. Similar to changing cabin filter. Perhaps your blower motor is not as far gone as mine was but I would recommend NOT trying to refabricate/reuse your existing one as I did. After about 2 weeks or so, the plastic fan blades in mine shattered - dont ask what cleanup was like. The regulator or whatever the piece next to the blower motor is called may have to be replaced as well - I am still waiting on mine as its on backorder. Blower motor did the trick though, bought it and installed it myself in about 30-45 min for 1/10 of what dealer would have charged.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:57 PM
levdeb
Instructor

I'll dig under there in the morning in the hotel parking lot. Would LOVE to have it work even a little bit for the trip home! Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:55 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Default Got home... But....

So pulled the blower off and it was crunchy. Was able to get it to spin, and sprayed the heck out of it with wd-40 (all the shop had). But it back together and worked just fine! So we hit the road. I left the screws loose enough so my son could reach down and "free" it up again if it stopped. Instead of heat, we got crazy rain. And here's my question. Rain was pouring in to the footwell from around the blower. We just had the recall done 6 months ago. Wasn't that to fix the water leak?? I am going to order a new blower and then deal with the dealership next week. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. While AC wasn't needed, the defrost was thanks to the rain for 500 of the 700 miles!!

Old 06-26-2020, 03:24 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

There was a recall on the blower regulator. That is the control that varies the speed of the fan. Your footwell leak is likely due to plugged drain near hood hinge. Porsche uses these crazy rubber boots that seem to plug easily. The dealer clears the drains and then cuts the bottom half of the boot off to allow it not to clog as easily. It's not easy to get at from the top but it is readily accessible from underneath with the rear portion of the front wheel liner removed.

Quick Reply: 2012 Pana4 blower not spinning... On road trip!