Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Well it's 2014 degrees here in Phoenix AC just stopped blowing cold suddenly, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Well it's 2014 degrees here in Phoenix AC just stopped blowing cold suddenly, HELP

Hey all,
So today driving through town the AC system seemed to burp a quick burst of hot air and then stopped blowing cold. It was cool then warmed up with nothing but hot air now. All lights were working and it was on max AC. Fans still blows but hot. Have not dug around yet waiting on the sun to go down. Any thoughts on what to check or is there a common failure. Not much posted out there so I welcome all comments and snide remarks. Never serviced to AC and have no records from previous owner.

Cheers, Mike
Old 08-06-2021, 04:02 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Bump in hope of some wisdom
Old 08-07-2021, 12:57 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Potentially got rock in front ac radiator and lost Freon. Happened to me, after fixed I put mesh guard to protect it.
The following users liked this post:
C4SJOHN (08-21-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 06:27 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Potentially got rock in front ac radiator and lost Freon. Happened to me, after fixed I put mesh guard to protect it.
Thank you, I'll check that. Found it odd no one has had AC issues so thank you for the reply.
Cheers, Mike
Old 08-16-2021, 09:42 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You probably lost refrigerant. Take it to the dealer to have it recharged and checked for leaks.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:56 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Well not so good news, Recharged the refrigerant and still nothing. not dealer but good shop. No leaks found. It seems to me like the compressor kicks in but have a question.
With the AC off does the clutch still pin or on these cars does it not rotate?
If it always rotates may be the compressor or some kind of sensor. Any ideas guys or how does your compressor act?

as always - all help appreciated - Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 09-10-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:32 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 453 Posts

It could be the actuator stuck that switches from hot to cold
Old 09-11-2021, 04:17 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Thank you, please tell me I can find it without taking the dash out. Is it electrically activated? Not intimate with this car yet since nothing has broken before.

cheers mike
Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
Thank you, please tell me I can find it without taking the dash out. Is it electrically activated? Not intimate with this car yet since nothing has broken before.

cheers mike
I'm honestly not sure. I'm new to mine as well lol. There's tons of threads on it though. People have issues with the A/C's on the Panny's
Old 12-31-2021, 07:15 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? My AC just stopped blowing cold so I'm looking for ideas of where to start.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:58 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

As an aside, not directly related. Got my wife a new Audi Q5 Sept 2017. 2-3 weeks in, no A/C. This was one of the first models Audi had in the US with the new refrigerant, think it's R1234, more or less propane with antiflamatories in it. They had it a week or so, call, no update, still working. Said they needed a $50k machine from Audi-Germany to properly diagnose. They get the machine, claim the condensor (from radiator in AC) was leaking, get the part, we're a few weeks in, didn't fix it.
I'm an engineer. I have a loaner, no big impact, but I'm kinda goading them with "your a large, multi-brand dealer, get your best AC guy from whatever brand. I know I could fix this, bet he can; All AC works the same way as your heat pump, your refrigerator, etc? They say , "no, has to be Audi trained", and all that. I'm nearly laughing at them now, 3 or 4 weeks in. I ask, "do you have a sniffer to detect the leak chemically". Svc Advisor didn't know; comes back on the phone, "we need to get one of those, another $10k machine from Germany". I was ready for this and told her, "you can go to Grainger and get one of these for under $800 today". More BS about it has to be Audi. Next they say it's compressor, significant front end disassembly, asked me if I wanted a new part from Germany with a couple weeks lead time or "take one off another new car". I said, "do that, this is taking a loooong time for an AC leak". They do so, didn't fix it. Svc Advisor says, "we're going to keep working this but suggest you call Audi US customer svc. We're going to replace the evaporator, and unfortunately we have to remove the dash AND the windshield because there are some 4" long bolts vertically in the dash that won't clear." I did that, a week to investigate, etc, it's November, they've had the car way more days than my wife and I. I finally got a bit perturbed and they suggested I speak with "customer retention". Did that, they said "main person is out this week, will call next week (this is on a Thursday). I told them "this has gone on long enough, if I don't get a call tomorrow by somebody in retention, I'm calling Germany. They called Friday, asked for a couple days to review. Called me back Monday or Tuesday. I was loaded for bear with solutions I expected. Before I could say anything, first words were "Mr X, we'd like to get you a new car"! There wasn't one in the US with light gray interior and tow package so they had to build it. So I drove their loaner until late January!

tldr; they lemoned the car because they couldn't fix the AC!
I was glad, told them they've had the whole AC and major parts of car apart, leaks and/or rattles were only a matter of time.
The end!
Old 07-08-2023, 08:15 PM
brianm1962
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - sign me up

Not sure I've actually needed A/C in 9,000 km. Usually top down. But needed it today. Just warm air. 😩
Old 07-11-2023, 09:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Here is what I found after becoming more educated on our cars... Just my 2C complaining.

To all, ITS FIXED !!!!!!! thank you all for your help. Here is the final analysis.
970 Compressor diagnosis results When monitoring A/C compressor current and load we were unable to get an accurate current reading as when the compressor load value reaches 0.130A the compressor is turned off as a fault is automatically detected in the system (img1 and img2). Next the refrigerant pressure sensor (P/N 955-613-137-03) was monitored and its output matched pressures that were manually monitored with A/C system Gauges (img3 and img4), due to these results the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor is working properly. When monitoring the AC refrigerant pressure sensor, noticed pressures that were above normal(img4) with the vehicle not running. This led to believe that the system may be overcharged on refrigerant. Recovered 662 grams from the AC system(img5) the system was leak tested and then recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant, 580 grams, oppps. After recharging noted normal pressures in the AC system(img6) Retested the A/C compressor after recharging and observed no difference. Next in diagnosis retrieved fault codes from the AC system and found it had a fault present, 008140 – Air-conditioning compressor control valve/ refrigerant circuit shut-off valve – electrical fault. First the ground circuit for the AC compressor was tested and found to be fault free. The A/C control unit was then removed to test the integrity of the PWM signal wire going to the compressor control valve. This wire was found to have 1.1ohms of resistance which is normal. Due to all the results of testing, determine that the new A/C compressor control valve is internally faulty. The compressor control valve is not available separately from the AC compressor, so a new AC compressor was installed

The A/C compressor installed on the vehicle is known as a variable displacement compressor. This style of compressor differs from conventional styles as there is no compressor clutch to control the flow of refrigerant in the system as in the 971. This system works on a PWM (pulse with modulated) signal. The signal is a binary on and off signal that is sent to the compressor at a consistent but variable rate (ex 0-100Hz) the rate at which this signal is sent determines how much the compressor control valve will open. By applying 12 volts directly to the compressor during troubleshooting I caused damage to the component as it is not designed to operate on an analog voltage signal and is only designed to operate on a digital PWM signal.

After installing another new compressor sent in 4 days from Gaudin Porsche in Vegas all is well and the fiasco is over. Good thing summer is ending, it’s been broke since April as I refused to not find the problem. Call me stubborn. Hope this helps anyone out there searching for AC problems. Snide remarks or comedic replies welcomed.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 07-11-2023 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ericson38 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 09:56 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adsingl
As an aside, not directly related. Got my wife a new Audi Q5 Sept 2017. 2-3 weeks in, no A/C. This was one of the first models Audi had in the US with the new refrigerant, think it's R1234, more or less propane with antiflamatories in it. They had it a week or so, call, no update, still working. Said they needed a $50k machine from Audi-Germany to properly diagnose. They get the machine, claim the condensor (from radiator in AC) was leaking, get the part, we're a few weeks in, didn't fix it.
I'm an engineer. I have a loaner, no big impact, but I'm kinda goading them with "your a large, multi-brand dealer, get your best AC guy from whatever brand. I know I could fix this, bet he can; All AC works the same way as your heat pump, your refrigerator, etc? They say , "no, has to be Audi trained", and all that. I'm nearly laughing at them now, 3 or 4 weeks in. I ask, "do you have a sniffer to detect the leak chemically". Svc Advisor didn't know; comes back on the phone, "we need to get one of those, another $10k machine from Germany". I was ready for this and told her, "you can go to Grainger and get one of these for under $800 today". More BS about it has to be Audi. Next they say it's compressor, significant front end disassembly, asked me if I wanted a new part from Germany with a couple weeks lead time or "take one off another new car". I said, "do that, this is taking a loooong time for an AC leak". They do so, didn't fix it. Svc Advisor says, "we're going to keep working this but suggest you call Audi US customer svc. We're going to replace the evaporator, and unfortunately we have to remove the dash AND the windshield because there are some 4" long bolts vertically in the dash that won't clear." I did that, a week to investigate, etc, it's November, they've had the car way more days than my wife and I. I finally got a bit perturbed and they suggested I speak with "customer retention". Did that, they said "main person is out this week, will call next week (this is on a Thursday). I told them "this has gone on long enough, if I don't get a call tomorrow by somebody in retention, I'm calling Germany. They called Friday, asked for a couple days to review. Called me back Monday or Tuesday. I was loaded for bear with solutions I expected. Before I could say anything, first words were "Mr X, we'd like to get you a new car"! There wasn't one in the US with light gray interior and tow package so they had to build it. So I drove their loaner until late January!

tldr; they lemoned the car because they couldn't fix the AC!
I was glad, told them they've had the whole AC and major parts of car apart, leaks and/or rattles were only a matter of time.
The end!
forgot to respond to you MrX but holy S$%T. So glad they got you a new car. I think with more birthing of EVs, smart highways, self driving cars we are heading toward just throwing the vehicle out when it needs an OS update. Kind of like my cell phone LOL - gun to my own head happy face. (not sure they make an emoji for that yet)
Cheers, and hope your enjoying the new Audi !!
Mike
Old 07-12-2023, 05:36 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Congratulations on getting it fixed! So was it a $2k repair bill?

Quick Reply: Well it's 2014 degrees here in Phoenix AC just stopped blowing cold suddenly, HELP