Panamera 2010-Current

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:29 PM
Brando123b
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

I don't know who all these weirdos are that buy $100k cars without ACC, but boy...it seems like maybe 10% of Panameras have it. It's crazy.

Is there some big secret I'm not privvy to?
Old 10-18-2022, 11:29 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

It's dumb I know. Porsche likes to a-la-carte options that should be standard across the board. I looked for my Panamera for 9 months before finding it. Innodrive/adaptive cruise was one of the requirements.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:59 PM
Brando123b
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just found what would have been my car...has everything, but no ACC. So frustrating.

I have had it for so long on my current vehicle I can't even come up with an accurate assesment of how critical it is...I'm just used to it.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:02 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brando123b
I just found what would have been my car...has everything, but no ACC. So frustrating.

I have had it for so long on my current vehicle I can't even come up with an accurate assesment of how critical it is...I'm just used to it.
Yeah it's tough. I ended up finding one w/ all the options I wanted, less sports exhaust (which I had installed after getting the car), and I did compromise on interior color. You can order new if you can get an allocation, but the waits are long and these cars depreciate a lot so CPO is a good value if you can find what you are looking for.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:57 AM
cc16177
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue here. I can't decide if I would be willing to have a car without it. My freaking Honda Accord has it lol
Old 10-19-2022, 12:01 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

It's part of the Porsche tax. Features that are standard on even mid tier family sedans are all expensive options from Porsche.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:13 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amphicar770
It's part of the Porsche tax. Features that are standard on even mid tier family sedans are all expensive options from Porsche.
Agree. And if you read around Rennlist there are many people who don't want adaptive cruise and like that they don't have to pay for it if they don't want it, unlike other makes where they can't option it out.

To me this is resale suicide in this day and age but many people don't care b/c they will keep the car forever or they will just trade it in.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:56 PM
Bubba72
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "new to me" 2013 Panamera GTS has a massive spec list, of which ACC is one of the options. I used it just today for the first time on a stretch of busy commute highway. This is my first car with any kind of adaptive cruise, and I was super impressed. Intuitive operation, and was accurate as can be. If you're just running around town, it's not useful...but for longer highway stretches, I was really impressed!
Old 01-30-2023, 08:54 PM
Epeviston
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Believe it or not some people don't like it. Hard for me to believe. It is on my list of must haves because I have a long commute. I currently don't have it on my X5 and it's a pita.

I have discovered if you're not looking for a Turbo or Turbo S or an executive...it's somewhat hard to find. For instance the only pre-2017 4s models I could find with it were the execs. Haven't found a single pre-17 regular 4s with it. And most Turbos and Turbo S don't have it...but I finally found one with everything I want and need, including ACC, a 2015 Turbo.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:00 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't know who all these weirdos are that buy $100k cars without ACC, but boy...it seems like maybe 10% of Panameras have it. It's crazy.

Is there some big secret I'm not privvy to?
I suspect that many (most?) people who buy Panameras do not take them on long road trips and just use them locally. ACC is only really needed for long road trips.
I do fall into the latter category: numerous long road trips each year, and I do not hesitate to put tons of miles on my Porsches.
That said, it looks like Porsche is now putting ACC standard in their cars (at least those "higher" than a Macan), for MY2024. So finally Porsche will catch up to Toyota in making ACC standard. (Now, Toyota still makes blind-spot mirror monitors standard, so Porsche has a ways to go there.)

Last edited by cometguy; 02-06-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:32 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
I suspect that many (most?) people who buy Panameras do not take them on long road trips and just use them locally. ACC is only really needed for long road trips.
I do fall into the latter category: numerous long road trips each year, and I do not hesitate to put tons of miles on my Porsches.
That said, it looks like Porsche is now putting ACC standard in their cars (at least those "higher" than a Macan), for MY2024. So finally Porsche will catch up to Toyota in making ACC standard. (Now, Toyota still makes blind-spot mirror monitors standard, so Porsche has a ways to go there.)
Seriously one of the best things about the Panamera is loooong highway drives. It's made for it. Yes Macan got standard ACC starting in 2023.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:57 PM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having the same issues as posted here, actively trying to buy a 971 Panamera GTS and can't find one specced how I want with ACC...one was listed this week in WA and sold within a day before I could make an offer.

Prices keep falling, so waiting it out for the right car is ok.

The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (02-06-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:35 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Originally Posted by Nickshu
Seriously one of the best things about the Panamera is loooong highway drives. It's made for it. ...
Have to disagree with comet and agree with Nick, Panamera is ideal road trip car and my experience is that owners use them as such.
BertilDator (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:51 PM
Panuny
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have an order in for a 4S and was skipping the ACC until I read this thread. I typically don't let cars drive me, so looking for enlightenment from those who use it. I saw a Porsche video and it seemed like it could be fussy. I welcome any feedback on how it works and why you like it. Do the sensors work in winter, rain, mud splatter? Thanks.

Last edited by Panuny; 02-07-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:29 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Panuny
I have an order in for a 4S and was skipping the ACC until I read this thread. I typically don't let cars drive me, so looking for enlightenment from those who use it. I saw a Porsche video and it seemed like it could be fussy. I welcome any feedback on how it works and why you like it. Do the sensors work in winter, rain, mud splatter? Thanks.
I have owned several cars with ACC, including 2 Porsches. The system works in pretty much all conditions. I have never had rain or dirt or spray cause a malfunction. In heavy snow and ice it will error out with a "sensors blocked" message but this has only been in the most extreme conditions. It's not a perfect system, but nothing is. I also like to DRIVE my cars, but honestly sitting in stop and go city or highway traffic is NOT driving. ACC is absolute bliss in that situation.
Panuny (02-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control