Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 03:45 PM
Thelegazy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 Panamera GTS - Reliability

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm currently looking for my next DD and while most of my focus has been on a 981/997.2, a local '13 Panamera GTS has caught my eye. It has 70k miles has a robust service history in the Carfax at Porsche dealers. It was just at the local Porsche dealer to have the VCG replaced. It's not a CPO, but they're offering a 60 day/3k mile warranty. I'm going to try and have them extend that.

I've found a TON of threads on the 981/997.2 reliability, but not as much for '13 Panamera GTS. I've read a couple of the threads highlighting the air suspension (and the sticky) and some callouts on the PDK. I haven't heard many issues with the PDK related to the 981/997.2s, is it something specific with the Panamera?

Outside of those two, is there something I should be looking out for? Any thoughts on the mileage even with the good service history?

It will need tires and brakes soon as well.

Last edited by Thelegazy; 02-17-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Just adding more context.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:01 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2014 GTS (49K) and it has been reliable over the 4&1/2 years I've owned it. You listed air suspension and that will have to be dealt with when it eventually does fail. A PDK failure is generally not something every Panamera owner will encounter, especially if it is not abused and you follow the service interval guideline for fluid change. If you receive a PDK error code (yellow or red), follow the reset procedure to enable your ability to drive the car and have a full diagnostic performed to identify the exact error codes for what has failed. The third item on your list should be the high and low pressure fuel pumps. The high pressure pump will eventually fail and need to be replaced. Long crank times, occasionally in conjunction with a "reduced engine power" error code is one indication of a failing pump. You'll hear about upper and lower control arms and suspension bushings, which are wear items, but for the most part, the Panamera is a reliable and rewarding car to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Iticip (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:57 AM
Epeviston
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I think another issue might be a glued on coolant pipe on the back of the engine that requires pulling the engine to change. I've heard of some people re-gluing another pipe in place without pulling the engine but if you want to update to the new/updated bolt-on/clamp part the engine must be pulled. 4.8s came from the factory with the updated part right around 2013 I think. But might need to check serial # to be sure. there are also coolant breather pipes in the valley of the engine that eventually (near the age and mileage of the car you're looking at) need replacement. ​​​​​​​the exploding intake manifolds might be exclusive to the turbo 4.8? Have not yet heard of this on the NA 4.8s. ​​​​​​​this info is just from reading these forums. I just got my 2015 Turbo a month ago. So still very new to me.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Evilci
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had my 2014 turbo for about 8 months now and it has needed tires, power steering pump, front control arms upper and lower, thermostat, thermostat housing, suspension compressor, both front bags, one strut, water pump, and very soon motor mounts.

Just be aware that around 70k miles things start to wear out. Mine started at 72k.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:06 AM
Epeviston
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

And that right there is why I bought an extended warranty that gets me 7 years and up to 90k miles on the clock. Advice I got from this forum. The car I bought had less than 20k miles on it so I thought the warranty purchase price was pretty reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
Evilci (02-18-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 11:23 PM
almogbila
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkelly1
I have a 2014 GTS (49K) and it has been reliable over the 4&1/2 years I've owned it. You listed air suspension and that will have to be dealt with when it eventually does fail. A PDK failure is generally not something every Panamera owner will encounter, especially if it is not abused and you follow the service interval guideline for fluid change. If you receive a PDK error code (yellow or red), follow the reset procedure to enable your ability to drive the car and have a full diagnostic performed to identify the exact error codes for what has failed. The third item on your list should be the high and low pressure fuel pumps. The high pressure pump will eventually fail and need to be replaced. Long crank times, occasionally in conjunction with a "reduced engine power" error code is one indication of a failing pump. You'll hear about upper and lower control arms and suspension bushings, which are wear items, but for the most part, the Panamera is a reliable and rewarding car to drive.
Dear sir, if you would kindly spare me some of your valuable time to review my thread titled;

“2012 Panamera S V8 PDK 4.8L natural aspirated (970-120-12)”

if possible and would be much appreciated,
I believe that you might/will have some quality answers which and could lead to my long awaited unfixed issue based on your experience.

hope to hear from you as well from others who come across this .

Much love.
Your Panamera Brother

Quick Reply: 2013 Panamera GTS - Reliability