Refill Coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 04:27 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Refill Coolant system

Hi everyone

The coolant reservoir on my 2011 Panamera 4S cracked, it took me some time to find the leak meaning I had to top the system up a few times.
I replaced the tank / reservoir and drained the radiator but according to capacity there must still be a few liters of coolant in the system.

Is it possible to drain the hole system and refill it without a vacuum pump?
Old 05-14-2023, 08:25 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Hi everyone

The coolant reservoir on my 2011 Panamera 4S cracked, it took me some time to find the leak meaning I had to top the system up a few times.
I replaced the tank / reservoir and drained the radiator but according to capacity there must still be a few liters of coolant in the system.

Is it possible to drain the hole system and refill it without a vacuum pump?
I used a shop vac suction side attached to the vapor hose at the top of the radiator that goes towards the reservoir. This removed the remainder of the air.

I believe there are plugs on the block that should be removed to do a full drain. I wouldn’t bother with that. They claim the coolant is lifetime. The solution to pollution is dilution. You will have a significant amount of new coolant from a radiator drain and refill.

Last edited by justabout; 05-14-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: More info
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:41 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
I used a shop vac suction side attached to the vapor hose at the top of the radiator that goes towards the reservoir. This removed the remainder of the air.

I believe there are plugs on the block that should be removed to do a full drain. I wouldn’t bother with that. They claim the coolant is lifetime. The solution to pollution is dilution. You will have a significant amount of new coolant from a radiator drain and refill.
Great workaround with the shop vac. I agree that the solution is dilution. I haven't heard that (practical) phrase in a while!
Old 05-15-2023, 12:59 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I'm going to try that same Vac in reverse setting to try and blow out the remaining coolant.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Refill Coolant system