Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

971.1 Turbo S e-hybrid issues???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 07:19 PM
twist-a-grip
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 971.1 Turbo S e-hybrid issues???

I hate to start a thread when this has surely been covered, but I searched the forum and read every "turbo e-hybrid" thread I found and saw nothing glaring concerning reliability. Just drove a low mileage (<10k), but non-CPO 2018 and it's awesome - the exact car I need for long road trips in the Rockies - a punishing mileage eater that might even get better than normal mpg. I hate electric/hybrid cars in general, but this car was a blast to drive and the e-hybrid gimmick could make it more fun when I drive it while on vacation!!

I understand the e-hybrid system has 8 year warranty (til early 27), but that's my biggest concern. I know the hybrid bits could get expensive in a hurry and I need a car that's ready to go on arrival with no issues and no dealer time (closest P car dealer is 3 hours away). Any issues with the ICE motor and PDK? Will I be kicking myself for not spending another $40-50 on the 971.2 (likely just the non-e-hybrid Turbo S)?

Old 06-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by twist-a-grip
I hate to start a thread when this has surely been covered, but I searched the forum and read every "turbo e-hybrid" thread I found and saw nothing glaring concerning reliability. Just drove a low mileage (<10k), but non-CPO 2018 and it's awesome - the exact car I need for long road trips in the Rockies - a punishing mileage eater that might even get better than normal mpg. I hate electric/hybrid cars in general, but this car was a blast to drive and the e-hybrid gimmick could make it more fun when I drive it while on vacation!!

I understand the e-hybrid system has 8 year warranty (til early 27), but that's my biggest concern. I know the hybrid bits could get expensive in a hurry and I need a car that's ready to go on arrival with no issues and no dealer time (closest P car dealer is 3 hours away). Any issues with the ICE motor and PDK? Will I be kicking myself for not spending another $40-50 on the 971.2 (likely just the non-e-hybrid Turbo S)?

I have about 52k on my ehybird and so far so good
Old 06-25-2023, 04:20 PM
scurvy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have a 2018 TSEH and it's generally been very reliable. The only thing I've had "worked on" outside of normal maintenance or recalls were various front-end bushings. Stabilizer bar bushings and sway bar end link bushings were worn out and replaced this year under warranty. Since you're not CPO I'd suggest finding a good local independent mechanic to handle service. Minor and major Porsche services are overpriced at dealers. It's a great car, have fun!
Old 06-25-2023, 05:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I also have a 2018 TSEH and have been happy. If you’re that worried and the mileage is that low, buy a Fidelity warranty and call it a day.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:37 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I also have a 2018 TSEH and have been happy. If you’re that worried and the mileage is that low, buy a Fidelity warranty and call it a day.
When it comes to the HV battery, there are numerous loopholes in the Fidelity warranty with exclusions for normal degradation, normal wear and tear, etc. At the end of 8-10 years they could deny a claim based on those clauses.

I am not saying they will not replace your $25k+ HV battery. Perhaps they will. However, I did look long and hard on this and other brand forums and have not found any instances where that actually happened. What the sales people tell you is irrelevant, it all comes down to the contract so do read it carefully.

Last edited by amphicar770; 06-25-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:26 PM
twist-a-grip
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input. Probably just gonna focus my search on a CPO 971.2 Turbo S

Quick Reply: 971.1 Turbo S e-hybrid issues???