Panamera 2010-Current

Parking your Panamera in tight spaces / car parks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 06:52 AM
mohius
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking your Panamera in tight spaces / car parks

Hi, wanted to get some thoughts on how people approach taking their Panamera into tight car parks and width restricted roads etc.

I just recently got a Panamera and had a altercation in a tight multistory car park due to the the sheer length and width of the vehicle which meant I had to go at a snails pace to try and avoid the curbs and the circular bends etc. with just a few cms of play around each wheel.

Having to double think about where I take the car now specially in London where car parks are tight and width restricted.

For example was looking at going to Heathrow T4 Short Stay car park and wasn't even sure if it would fit through there!

How are people approaching this?
Old 07-04-2023, 07:37 AM
sp3000
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to a big car in a busy city. I'm in Sydney, can only park the Panamera in places I know are large, basically means the Audi SQ2 is the daily and the Panamera is reserved for out and back trips or road trips.. It's a bummer.
Some people don't care though, expensive big car with dents and scratches all over, they just buy a new one every 3 years😂 Even if the finances allowed that, it's just not in my personality to not care about nice things.
The following 2 users liked this post by sp3000:
mohius (07-04-2023), numbskull (07-10-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 08:00 AM
mohius
5th Gear

Yeah I'm finding myself being very selective about where to take the car! Not at the stage yet where I'd not cringe If I scraped the rims or paintwork! :-)
Old 07-04-2023, 08:35 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here, So I also run a Vauxhall Insignia 2014 (Cost £2k and £60 a year in tax and insurance) that I use for those sorts of things lol
The following users liked this post:
mohius (07-04-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 12:15 AM
TRITONE
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Similar problems for me, but worse! I live on an island; only way off is by state-run ferry system. Lanes on the boat are edged with 1/2" thick diamond plate steel, very unforgiving to alloy wheels....and did I mention that the boats are 50 years old!!! Designed in a time when cars were 12" narrower, and taller, with bigger windows, and you could see the front corners clearly? I'm shopping for a "surround-view" camera from a newer car......

To say nothing of pedestrians walking along between the rows of cars, backpacks, purses, and luggage banging along the sides of the cars...."dude, it's only a car, get over it".....
Going back to my 25 year old Land Rover soon......
The following 2 users liked this post by TRITONE:
mohius (07-05-2023), sp3000 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:53 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in a coastal community in the United States and there are many places where I will not drive my 4ST. I try to plan my trips and take our Macan if we are going places with tight confines.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:58 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Being in the US, I am hoping/assuming my incoming Panamera will be fine. Plenty of people driving way bigger cars.
I did get the rear wheel steering just in case though, especially being in NYC where sometimes I have no choice but to do street parking.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:02 PM
mohius
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Being in the US, I am hoping/assuming my incoming Panamera will be fine. Plenty of people driving way bigger cars.
I did get the rear wheel steering just in case though, especially being in NYC where sometimes I have no choice but to do street parking.
I was wondering how big a difference rear wheel steering might have made…
Old 07-05-2023, 02:17 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Originally Posted by mohius
I was wondering how big a difference rear wheel steering might have made…
I was doing some research on this before I finalized my order. Seemed like everyone thought it was a necessity for being in a city. One article I found said it reduces turning radius by 60cm (about 2ft).
If you were making a left turn in that parking garage around a wall/column and found that the left side of your car would scrape the wall, RWS would have helped. I cant say if it would have helped enough though.
Old 07-06-2023, 04:52 AM
mohius
5th Gear

I was doing some research on this before I finalized my order. Seemed like everyone thought it was a necessity for being in a city. One article I found said it reduces turning radius by 60cm (about 2ft).
If you were making a left turn in that parking garage around a wall/column and found that the left side of your car would scrape the wall, RWS would have helped. I cant say if it would have helped enough though.
Yes 2 feet does seem significant, I had the Porsche Cayenne previously and thought there wouldn't be much difference between that and the Panamera, but you do feel the extra cm's in length of the Panamera.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:52 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 2018 EHST 4 without RWS and have just transitioned to the 2023 version, new car. Driving the two one after another is like stately to sporty. RWS should be standard for all. It GREATLY helps parking (so does the surround view camera) but the car drives at speed much more lightly too. I am a complete believer!
The following users liked this post:
scurvy (07-07-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:58 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 158 Posts

I Still have PTSD from renting a Panamera in Munich and going into one of those circular ramp city garages in Bologna. Three inches from the right front and a few more from the back rear to the rails for multiple 360 degree turns - NEVER in my life have I made so many small steering inputs, including air refueling a fighter. SHIVER. Strategy? Have a wife who is well versed in parking management stand outside and watch all the corners. Hope the guy in the TRABANT next to you has a little respect.
The following 2 users liked this post by orca15:
mohius (07-08-2023), TRITONE (09-22-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 02:23 PM
mohius
5th Gear

Originally Posted by orca15
I Still have PTSD from renting a Panamera in Munich and going into one of those circular ramp city garages in Bologna. Three inches from the right front and a few more from the back rear to the rails for multiple 360 degree turns - NEVER in my life have I made so many small steering inputs, including air refueling a fighter. SHIVER. Strategy? Have a wife who is well versed in parking management stand outside and watch all the corners. Hope the guy in the TRABANT next to you has a little respect.
This!!!!
Old 07-08-2023, 03:32 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Originally Posted by orca15
Circular ramps give me stress even in NYC with my little two door BRZ. I hate those things. Cant imagine doing that with the 205" of Panamera.

Quick Reply: Parking your Panamera in tight spaces / car parks