Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Would you pay over 150K for a Panamera GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 12:14 AM
egamer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you pay over 150K for a Panamera GTS?

Hi All.

First time Porsche buyer/leaser here.

I feel like the Panamera GTS is within my price zone and has most of what I want.

I love the speed of the Turbo S, but it's basic package is out of my price range.

Most Panamera GTS' I want seem to be around the $150K price range.

Buddies of mine that own Porsche tell me to pay this much for this car isn't smart, doesn't hold the value well, etc.

They say if I am spending that much -- why not get a 911 or some of the higher end cars.

Hard to say if there is truly a right move if I love the car.

I do want a 4 door. I really don't want a 2 door car.

Am I overpaying for this? Just want to know your thoughts and anyone with experience with maybe other Manufacturers to see how it compares in the same range like Mercedez AMG GT53 or BMW M850i.

Thank you.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:12 AM
digs
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Panamera is a lot more usable than a 911 . May not have the cult value ? But at the end of the day which car suits your needs better ?

You may find with a 911 you will need a daily driver so you can park any where and not worry about it , factor that into the cost .

I have bought most of my Porsche cars used . All seem to take quite a hit if bought new and sold within a 5 year period ?

My 16 GTS had a 150k window sticker and they still seem to be that now . I bought my car at the covid peak so I paid a premium .

If I sell I will loose some money , if I keep the car 10 years I can put it out in the trash when I am done .

All cars drop approx 6k per year in value , maybe more .

A 911 purist will never tell you to get a Panamera ! I know I was one for a long time ! I found my GTS by accident ! I never gave a thought to Panamera as a vehicle !

Cars are not an investment , some make out after many years of ownership ? Most never got to really use the car , they just stored and cared for it ?
Old 08-01-2023, 08:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 625 Posts

Short and Long term the Panamera will depreciate significantly. Similar to what you see with a Cayenne or Macan. Nothing like what you see w/ the Porsche sports cars, which depreciate very little.
But it's much more useable by comparison.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in the same position as you, wanted a panny GTS...ended up with a 2017 CPO +1 Panamera Turbo. Saved 100k off original sticker and have just about every option. Not much difference in the model years at this point aside from the rear light bar. A lot to be saved picking up a CPO example with low miles.

The V8 sounds great with PSE and it's a looker!
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (08-13-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:27 AM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The Panamera GTS I ordered was $176k after I optioned it out. A year from now it'll be worth 120k or something and I don't give a crap cause I don't expect to sell it anytime soon.

I only drive about 5k miles per year so I didn't want to buy a used car and start out with even 10 or 20k miles on the odometer already.

I also wanted to customize the car exactly to my own preferences.

I did also configure a 911 Targa to see what that would cost me and it was like 209k if I added all the options that I added to my Panamera (PDCC, PTV, leather, burmester, etc). I did that because tbh I also thought "man I could just buy a 911 with this money..." but no I couldnt, at least not the 911 I'd want.
RED HORSE (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 453 Posts

150k doesn't get you much these days...
Nickshu (08-02-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 01:19 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

I am a long time 911 driver. I recently traded my 2019 Carrera GTS for a 23 Panny GTS. The difference is huge and I honestly don't know which I like better. 911's to me are the best sports car on the planet - but they are not nearly as functional as a big sedan. The Panny GTS is a phenomenal sedan - big powerful throaty V-8, all wheel drive, sport chrono, etc - but it's not a sports car. If I could afford it, I would have both. You need to decide what type of car works best for you and then go for it. $150K for a Panny GTS is certainly reasonable if that's what you want. For an old school guy like me, I've decided that I prefer a sports car with a manual transmission so I'm going back to a 911. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by onedae:
irv09 (08-01-2023), jhartog (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 07:29 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Purchased my first Porsche in 1971, a used 356c. Have had Boxster's, and 911's, and then reached a point where after a stroke at 65 and over 75 getting into and out of 911 was just too difficult. Traded for a Cayenne Turbo (4.8L) and it was great but had some air suspension problems (repaired under warranty). Visiting with the Sales Manager he said he had an authorization for a new Pano GTS but didn't know when it was coming. I put down a refundable deposit and when it came in it had 14 miles on it when I took it for a test drive.

You can't but the top down, but it is as near a 911 as you can get and at 80 it is a little difficult to get in and out of but I am very happy with the GTS. Is it perfect? No. Am I sorry I purchased it? Absolutely not. The plus is there is room for extra passengers, room for luggage, and the V-8 with the Sport Exhaust sounds great.
21forever (08-10-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:15 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

I was looking for a Turbo coming from a 4S and found my 18 Turbo 16 months old with 7500 miles CPO for $47K off sticker. Look around for a CPO low mile Turbo and keep looking or do what I did... get both and live happily ever after
The following 2 users liked this post by B Russ:
911C2R (08-02-2023), Norge911 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:07 AM
Chedman13
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a 2021+ Panamera Turbo S, you should be able to find one within that price range.

My suggestions:
1) 2021+ as it's the latest updates to engine/body.
2) Buy one with some of the factory warranty still remaining, then go to Porsche and buy a factory extended warranty.

I have a 2021 Panamera Turbo S Executive, and it's the perfect daily. MotorTrend in their tests states 0-60 in 2.6 seconds (21 Panamera Turbo S).

I really want a GT3 RS or 911 Turbo S, but being able to drive this minus trips to Home Depot make it much more usable.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

Originally Posted by egamer
Hi All.

First time Porsche buyer/leaser here.

I feel like the Panamera GTS is within my price zone and has most of what I want.

I love the speed of the Turbo S, but it's basic package is out of my price range.

Most Panamera GTS' I want seem to be around the $150K price range.

Buddies of mine that own Porsche tell me to pay this much for this car isn't smart, doesn't hold the value well, etc.

They say if I am spending that much -- why not get a 911 or some of the higher end cars.

Hard to say if there is truly a right move if I love the car.

I do want a 4 door. I really don't want a 2 door car.

Am I overpaying for this? Just want to know your thoughts and anyone with experience with maybe other Manufacturers to see how it compares in the same range like Mercedez AMG GT53 or BMW M850i.

Thank you.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:53 PM
CashBuyer
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by egamer

I agree with your buddies.

The Panamera will depreciate for a few reasons:

1. Higher interest rates impact the value of all assets by lowering demand - stocks, bonds, real-estate and even automobiles.
2. The new/used car price mania caused by supply chain shortages is working itself out increasing supply. (E.g., check out the huge discounts on the Mercedes EQS - They are piling up on dealer lots)
3. The Panamera doesn't have the cult following of the Porsche sports cars - Normal depreciation of high cost maintenance cars applies.
4. When the revised 2024 comes out the current Panamera will take a hit.

I also would like a Panamera to add to a Cayman & 911 garage but it might make sense to wait for a CPO.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:48 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

There are a bunch of variables but generally, if there is a significant price increase on the 2024 model, that will reduce the depreciation on used Panameras.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Zachary Smith
AutoX

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a 22 GTS with 12k, warranty until 2028 for 125k. List price new was 161k.

The Panamera is ****ing awesome. The 911 is cool too but the Panamera sounds better, long distances better, can fit an oversized Costco run in the truck easily.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:41 PM
egamer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CashBuyer
I agree with your buddies.

The Panamera will depreciate for a few reasons:

1. Higher interest rates impact the value of all assets by lowering demand - stocks, bonds, real-estate and even automobiles.
2. The new/used car price mania caused by supply chain shortages is working itself out increasing supply. (E.g., check out the huge discounts on the Mercedes EQS - They are piling up on dealer lots)
3. The Panamera doesn't have the cult following of the Porsche sports cars - Normal depreciation of high cost maintenance cars applies.
4. When the revised 2024 comes out the current Panamera will take a hit.

I also would like a Panamera to add to a Cayman & 911 garage but it might make sense to wait for a CPO.
Thats a good point. I guess it really depends on just getting the car I want and am happy with. If I am looking at it strictly from a value standpoint, it probably wont hold up as a great purchase.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:42 PM
egamer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by justabout
There are a bunch of variables but generally, if there is a significant price increase on the 2024 model, that will reduce the depreciation on used Panameras.
I am kind of worried I may not like the new Panamera, but then I guess I could look at the 2023 models if that happens.

I like the way the rear lights are currently.

Supposedly they will be thinner.

Quick Reply: Would you pay over 150K for a Panamera GTS?