Panamera 2010-Current

Tesla Model S Plaid Price Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 03:15 AM
lionzer26125
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tesla Model S Plaid Price Drop

They recently just dropped the Tesla model s plaid price to 90k. I am tempted to buy one. Anybody else considering getting a plaid? I honestly feel like as a daily everyday car it destroys all trim levels of the panamera. I know this forum is gonna be biased.

Just want to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:17 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 709 Likes on 389 Posts

For the money you can’t beat it. Agreed.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:49 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

It's certainly a decent value proposition at the new price. I've tried their products before, just not for me.
The following users liked this post:
earlyapex (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 12:09 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I love my Panamera for all the things that a Tesla does have.

Last edited by earlyapex; 09-03-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: wording
Chimuel (09-05-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

I had a week long trip to Napa/Sonoma in August, staying with a friend who has a dual motor Tesla Model S. I rented a Tesla Model 3. I alternated driving between the Model 3 and the Model S each day for a half our commute, each direction. I had never driven any Tesla before. They are nothing like a Panamera, both in a good way and in a bad way. I am not dying to get out of my analog, high horsepower (750) sedan, and was not in the market. That said, these things are compelling. The simultaneous delivery of torque, acceleration, reasonably good handling, great navigation, HVAC, and total quiet while playing music over a pretty good audio system was quite compelling. The total software/OS environment was impressive. I could see a Tesla Model S-like EV replacing the Panamera some day. Not quite yet.

Last edited by Scott O'Connor; 09-04-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:12 PM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

The tesla plaid is nice but I feel Tesla is how apple is. It has a cult following. I would never own a tesla even though its the fastest thing out there. I don't like the styling or the over simplification of the car. It makes it cumbersome to do the basic items of the car where technology works against you. From what I've seen I feel the Ford Mach E and the Porsche Taycan are the best overall EV's currently. I have no need to own an EV currently but if I had to it would be either the Porsche or Ford Mach E.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:00 AM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I've always had 0 interest in Tesla cars, different story for their stock.
After coming across this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/ I now have negative interest in Tesla cars.

Anyway, EVs still don't make sense for me in NYC. Apartment living and my parking garage charges an additional $120/mo for charging. There's also less than a handful of superchargers in each borough. My friends have seen people running extension cords from their windows to the street to charge EVs, ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:45 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 158 Posts

If your world revolves around acceleration, go for it. For me, the handling has no comparison between the two, and that's far more important. Plus, have you sat in one? Yuk.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:16 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

in reference to the taycan, on my recent trip to the dealership, when i asked about the cost to replace the pseh hv battery (~$20K), the service manage relayed that the taycan hv battery replacement cost ~$90k...! gag.
Scott O'Connor (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 05:05 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbwinters01
in reference to the taycan, on my recent trip to the dealership, when i asked about the cost to replace the pseh hv battery (~$20K), the service manage relayed that the taycan hv battery replacement cost ~$90k...! gag.
The Taycan starts at $90,900... that doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:12 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 709 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by chaos2984
It has a cult following.
This is fact. I think many cars do however Tesla is in a whole new level. They think they are the greatest car ever. If you ask a simple question about a problem you are having, forget about it. The flame anyone and everybody that even thinks negatively about the car. We own a MYP and we are almost opposite of most owners. We could give 2 shots about the “EV” mantra of saving the world. Don’t care about trying to be that person that gets the best wh/mpg or whatever they all track. For us it was a fun a$$ 0-60 suv appliance that my wife enjoys the acceleration and the tech and she never has to get gas and we fill up at home as she only has a 20 minute commute.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:39 PM
TheAv1ator
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
The Taycan starts at $90,900... that doesnt make any sense to me.
The more cars you build, the cheaper each individual unit costs to make. But a 1-off car done outside the production line will cost far more.

Someone posted the battery cost on the Taycan forum back in January. It’s about $45k without tax and shipping (not like the dealer keeps these in stock, so it’s coming from Germany). Then the removal and re-install will be done at dealer rates, which are $250+/hr. It won’t be much less than the base MSRP by the time it’s done.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:58 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Anyway, EVs still don't make sense for me in NYC. Apartment living and my parking garage charges an additional $120/mo for charging. There's also less than a handful of superchargers in each borough. My friends have seen people running extension cords from their windows to the street to charge EVs, ridiculous.
You bring up a point that is going to be another issue for people living in buildings where there is a basement garage. Lithium battery fires are extremely difficult to put out. People living upstairs from one of these fires are in danger.

I live in a single family home. I don't own an EV, but if I did, I would charge it outside well away from the house. Certainly not in an attached garage.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:52 AM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAv1ator
The more cars you build, the cheaper each individual unit costs to make. But a 1-off car done outside the production line will cost far more.

Someone posted the battery cost on the Taycan forum back in January. It’s about $45k without tax and shipping (not like the dealer keeps these in stock, so it’s coming from Germany). Then the removal and re-install will be done at dealer rates, which are $250+/hr. It won’t be much less than the base MSRP by the time it’s done.
At 250/hr that would be 180 hours of labor lmao.
I googled it a bit, I did find the post showing $45k for a new battery from Porsche, but I also see others saying actual BOM cost is around $15k.
$45k for the battery alone with no labor would still be nuts. Even on an assembly line, do we really think that the rest of a Taycan can be sourced and put together for less than $45k and still leave Porsche room for profit?

$15k with another $5k in labor sounds more reasonable to me. Still a hefty price though.

Originally Posted by knowspin
You bring up a point that is going to be another issue for people living in buildings where there is a basement garage. Lithium battery fires are extremely difficult to put out. People living upstairs from one of these fires are in danger.

I live in a single family home. I don't own an EV, but if I did, I would charge it outside well away from the house. Certainly not in an attached garage.
Thats a good point.. Not sure how a city like NYC would deal with that since the local gov't tends to legislate anything that has a hint of danger associated with it. On the bright side, at least no such tragedy has occurred yet (as far as I know). We've already had plenty of e-bike charging related fires but not EVs.

Last edited by PandaSPUR; 09-05-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:02 AM
augmented
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lionzer26125
They recently just dropped the Tesla model s plaid price to 90k. I am tempted to buy one. Anybody else considering getting a plaid? I honestly feel like as a daily everyday car it destroys all trim levels of the panamera. I know this forum is gonna be biased.

Just want to hear your thoughts.
I used to have a 22 Plaid (for about 15 months and a Model X for 5+ yeas prior) but now have a Turbo S Panamera (23), fully loaded. I do miss the following from the Tesla:

1) Initial acceleration
2) FSD (some times)
3) Auto-garage door opening (I am trying to replicate this with the Porsche).
4) not having to get gas every 2 or so weeks
5) Walk away (auto) locking
6) Being able to have a 5th passenger
7) Being able to cool down the car remotely (the Panamera e-Hybrid does this)

Here is why I am happy with the Panamera:
  • It is a car that is simply quite enjoyable to drive , daily
  • Interior is so much better
  • I really missed having a sunroof and now have one with the Panamera
  • Native Android Auto wireless integration
  • The Porsche APIs actually work well (I developed software for both the Tesla and now Porsche). I was pleasantly surprised to be able to share an Google Maps address to the Porsche (it works better than the Tesla version)
  • Interacting with Porsche Service/Parts is so much better than Tesla
  • Night vision, heads-up display, 360 view, interior LED illumination, auto spoiler simply do not exist on the Tesla
  • Cup holder is better (trivial but important when commuting)
  • Of course the sport exhaust is unbeatable
  • I added on a blackvue dashcam with LTE and battery so I don't really miss Sentry mode
  • Subjective but the Burmester audio is awesome
My plan is to get the new Panamera with e-Hybrid Turbo S which should be out late next year.
911C2R (09-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid Price Drop