Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 AM
Arin@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

What's the general consensus on this forum and platform when it comes to tuning? Have you tuned your engine and/or transmission? If you did, why did you do it, and if you didn't, what's holding you back?

We've been tuning Porsches for over 20 years at APR. You can see a list of Porsche Models we tune here. It's not all of them, but a good chunk of models. The software we have is also on sale until the end of October right now.

When it comes to some of the other brands we tune, some of the more high end models, like the Audi RS6 and the Audi RS3 are heavily tuned. On the RS3 front it's hard to find one that isn't tuned. We see the same on some Porsche models, but on others it seems some are hesitant.

So, what's your take on tuning?

GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Old 09-15-2023, 12:16 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a GTS and your responses to one rennlist user's transmission fault codes after an APR tune were not confidence inspiring: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post18791264

I probably won't get a tune for my GTS for several years or ever really because these cars are expensive to fix and I don't want to give dealerships any reason to deny a warranty claim
The following users liked this post:
pannyGTS (09-24-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 03:59 PM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Will echo the above comments, my Turbo is CPO for another 2 years and don't want any reason for a warranty claim to be dismissed, any issue is a high dollar fix on these cars. I know APR sells a package to retain factory warranty, but why would someone have to buy that- it says you don't stand behind your product. Also nearly 600hp is a good amount for the street. I've explored options and am in wait and see mode, I enjoy the car and dont want for more power, but of course I'd probably want it after having 700+HP .

Separately, I had a 2011 APR tuned Audi S4 that motor failed. An injector failed and the the cylinder was scored beyond repair. I thought engine management software would identify that and put it into limp mode. That was one of the most fun cars I've had and wasn't a good way to say goodbye to it.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:53 PM
Arin@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Meinbeast
I know APR sells a package to retain factory warranty, but why would someone have to buy that- it says you don't stand behind your product.
The most common thing we replaced under APR Plus was a water pump that's completely unrelated to the tune. Thing happen, so that's why it's there.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:44 PM
skylolow
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I think on the Panamera's you got a lot of owners who lease and a lot still under warranty. As the 971 versions age I think you'll see more and more people tuning. Your dealing with some pretty pricey cars new(north of 150K in any of the turbo or turbo S or gts) and most daily their Panamera's compared to other models that are looked upon as more of a weekend car/toy. Plus when Porsche owners have problems we get the luxury all too often of dealing with Porsche tax for repairs. So I think many owners rather not risk a potential hurdle or blame game if something happens. Lot easier to justify tuning and dealing with any issues when your dealing with a 40K used car opposed to six figure car.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:51 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a 2010 PTT w/ a tune and I absolutely love it! The car is more powerful, more responsive and most importantly the dreaded and dangerous turbo lag is gone! Single best mod for these cars IMO.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:31 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

I’m in similar positions as others. I want a tune on my Turbo but there have been some issues with transmission fault for Turbo model.
where we are missing info is related to PDK clutch preload and is it different from the S, 4S, GTS, Turbo and Turbo S. Obviously the Turbo S have more torque and hp and if you could help clarify which model have the same PDK spec as the Turbo S and how much torque can be managed by each model that would be helpful.

thank you

also, if I tune, should I upgrade diverter valves?
do you have a catch can for turbo models?
had these on my 991 Carrera T
Ericson38 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 03:57 AM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Tuned mine , absolutely love it . Now pondering turbos and pdk tune , but will that open up a can of worms in an already old car with over 80k miles .. who knows .
Old 09-16-2023, 07:41 AM
Rushey
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine tuned. I think its worth it if your out of warranty and your car is a base model, as its essentially already de-tuned. Mine is a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. So with the tune I went from 456bhp to just over 600bhp. I don't think I would get a tune on anything that was 550bhp+ stock without considering upgrading other engine/transmission components also.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:17 AM
tolkino
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushey
I got mine tuned. I think its worth it if your out of warranty and your car is a base model, as its essentially already de-tuned. Mine is a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. So with the tune I went from 456bhp to just over 600bhp. I don't think I would get a tune on anything that was 550bhp+ stock without considering upgrading other engine/transmission components also.
Where did you get yours tuned?

I would like a tune for my Base 2.9 twin turbo 325 hp engine (2021-onwards) but no one has an available product on the market yet.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:26 PM
DasYeoman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arin@APR
What's the general consensus on this forum and platform when it comes to tuning? Have you tuned your engine and/or transmission? If you did, why did you do it, and if you didn't, what's holding you back?

We've been tuning Porsches for over 20 years at APR. You can see a list of Porsche Models we tune here. It's not all of them, but a good chunk of models. The software we have is also on sale until the end of October right now.

When it comes to some of the other brands we tune, some of the more high end models, like the Audi RS6 and the Audi RS3 are heavily tuned. On the RS3 front it's hard to find one that isn't tuned. We see the same on some Porsche models, but on others it seems some are hesitant.

So, what's your take on tuning?

I'd love your tune on my 2017 Panamera Turbo but last I checked it wasn't available, after I waited 2 months for NGP to get back to me.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:28 PM
DasYeoman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Norge911
I’m in similar positions as others. I want a tune on my Turbo but there have been some issues with transmission fault for Turbo model.
where we are missing info is related to PDK clutch preload and is it different from the S, 4S, GTS, Turbo and Turbo S. Obviously the Turbo S have more torque and hp and if you could help clarify which model have the same PDK spec as the Turbo S and how much torque can be managed by each model that would be helpful.

thank you

also, if I tune, should I upgrade diverter valves?
do you have a catch can for turbo models?
had these on my 991 Carrera T
The transmission fault has been limited to GTS models, not the Turbo/Turbo S which use a different PDK version.
Norge911 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:42 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

Did the FVD/Brombacher package of turbos, downpipes and tuning for both ECU and transmission computer. Fantastic results.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:08 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

@Arin@APR do you have feedback on these comments?
Old 09-22-2023, 10:25 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not tuned my 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo, but I did tune its predecessor, a 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. The tune was a big improvement (strictly software change). On the Panamera, in sport plus the performance is all I need, so no interest in a tune (at least not yet).

Quick Reply: Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)