Panamera 2010-Current

No more Panamera Sport Turismo.. Crying in my beer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Kurtis500
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No more Panamera Sport Turismo.. Crying in my beer

So I think this is the most beautiful car Porsche has out right now. I have a Cayenne and love it and we are (finally) hunting for one after the first of the year.

Someone break it to me... Is the car ugly to most people? Are station wagons a 'stigma'? Why did it sell poorly and get discontinued? I love the looks of the car but not really the Taycan ST though. Is my taste all in my mouth?

Last question, does this make the used ST's more valuable or are more people going to off load a discontinued model? Or no influence at all?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:09 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtis500
So I think this is the most beautiful car Porsche has out right now. I have a Cayenne and love it and we are (finally) hunting for one after the first of the year.

Someone break it to me... Is the car ugly to most people? Are station wagons a 'stigma'? Why did it sell poorly and get discontinued? I love the looks of the car but not really the Taycan ST though. Is my taste all in my mouth?

Last question, does this make the used ST's more valuable or are more people going to off load a discontinued model? Or no influence at all?
Wagons haven’t sold well in the U.S. in 30 years. No new news.

Porsche axed a low volume body style. Nothing surprising.

ST values out of warranty will drop like a stone as usual. They will never be 911s and are expensive to maintain. And the reason why they are low volume sellers is they people don’t want wagons, they want SUVs, trucks and minivans. As the STs age and deferred maintenance increases they will fade from the scene.

And they are cool and on my list as a CPO in a couple of years.

The following 3 users liked this post by chassis:
Bearrun21 (12-02-2023), Kurtis500 (12-02-2023), MKC91 (12-04-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 10:03 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Buy what you like.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chimuel:
chassis (11-30-2023), Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 03:41 PM
L39E
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 128 Posts

OP I agree with you 100%. Had our Turbo S e-Hybrid ST since early 2020. Our CPO warranty is over in the next year and we were hoping to order a new one and go to Germany for Euro delivery. Not interested in a sedan or a Taycan ST so we will either keep it, trade for a newer CPO or move to another brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by L39E:
chassis (11-30-2023), Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 11:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I have been waiting for the new Panamera launch and the ST would have been my choice. It’s a shame that they discontinued it, but I understand the reasons.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis C:
Bearrun21 (12-02-2023), Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 01:33 AM
gersar928
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't know but to me the lines of the sport turismo just didn't seem quite right,didn't match the rest of the car.
Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 08:43 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Have you noticed industry designers are reducing the heights of SUVs? They are looking more like station wagons to me but they are still selling well.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:49 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by gersar928
I don't know but to me the lines of the sport turismo just didn't seem quite right,didn't match the rest of the car.
+1

No offense to those who like it, but the OP asked specifically...

I get the wagon thing for like a Mazda 3 hatchback, but on the Panny, even if if it was my only car, no thanks. The extra space is marginal and the lines of the car are just not up my alley. So yes, I think they are ugly. Again, no offense to those that like them, personal opinion. I certainly don't see a stigma and in Europe, you won't see anything but wagons in most parking lots.

Last edited by orca15; 12-01-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:03 AM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 337 Likes on 155 Posts

Just affirming the OP. I'm terribly disappointed the ST is discontinued. I was very checked-out on the MY23 end timing, and was more frustrated that I had decided the right combination was a Panamera 4 (base) ST, that I was going to do in PTS. And the opportunity is GONE forever.

As others have mentioned, I'll console myself with the chase of a CPO one at some point in the coming 12 months...which will come with a substantial price discount from the original MSRP.
Kurtis500 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:27 AM
Kurtis500
Intermediate

Can someone give me some direction on the best approach when picking up a CPO? Is there a timeframe within the cars manufacturerd year thats its best to buy? Any advice or a link to anything I can read that will give me some strategies to think about will help.

I agree that the lines of the car make or break it. I dont like the Mercedes or Audi wagons at all but love the ST.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:49 AM
bpossel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurtis500,

From my experience, usually the models discontinued offer a greater resale. The only downside is that is will take many years before you will see an uptick in value/resale. My opinion...
Bob
Old 12-02-2023, 12:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 908 Posts

Can someone give me some direction on the best approach when picking up a CPO? Is there a timeframe within the cars manufacturerd year thats its best to buy? Any advice or a link to anything I can read that will give me some strategies to think about will help.

I agree that the lines of the car make or break it. I dont like the Mercedes or Audi wagons at all but love the ST.
I bought a MY20 CPO, early 2020 build, in late 2022 with 24k miles. It had manufacturer's warranty until early 2024, plus 2 CPO years of warranty coverage. This gave me 3.5 years of warranty coverage, starting from when I purchased it.

If you buy a CPO car less than 2 calendar years old from build (more accurately, warranty start) date, it means you have more warranty coverage than if you had purchase it new. Pricing of the vehicle will reflect the significant warranty coverage.

A car that is older than 2 years from start of warranty, means the maximum warranty coverage is 4 years, and decreases from there. Why the emphasis on warranty? These cars are eye-wateringly expensive to repair, unless you DIY. Warranty coverage mitigates out of pocket repair expense. I think you can buy additional warranty coverage from companies like Fidelity, who seems to get better reviews than other companies. Aftermarket warranties are not bulletproof, there are always grey areas and potential for denied coverage depending on the details of the situation. I have no experience with these add-on warranties so have no advice.

I use a rule of thumb of 10% annual depreciation vs window sticker, and ~10k-12k miles per year, to estimate "average" market price. Use cargurus listings and finder.porsche.com to source candidate vehicles. I found my car on finder.porsche.com, and it was also listed on cargurus and the dealer website.

I emailed several dealers on several units. One dealer in the Philadelphia metro was scummy. Most of the others were tolerable to deal with. I bought my car sight unseen from a dealer 2400 miles away - a big part of the reason, besides the car spec and price, is that I trusted the salesperson. Cesar Caceres at Burlingame Audi/Porsche in NorCal was great to work with.

The car was transported to me by Montway montway.com They did a good job, good communication, reasonable price and no problems.

My car had new front and rear brakes and 2 new front tires. They must not have met minimum specs, because it's easy to read posts that people have different experience with CPO units regarding brakes and tires.

Last edited by chassis; 12-02-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The ST is my favorite body style. The Panamera ST would have been ordered by me long ago if they permitted selection of a trailer hitch option.

Too bad. My butt will remain planted in the seats of my current vehicles.
chassis (12-02-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 05:55 PM
Amge63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

SUVs getting lower and wagons getting taller. We were going to get a new Mercedes wagon (It would have been our 3rd Merc Wagon) but they only come in the lifted version. Nope. Then we put a deposit down on the '24 Panamera Sport Tourismo only to have the rug pull out from under us at the announcement. Settled for a 2023. I was told there were only seven 2023 non-hybrid ST remaining in the U.S. in November. We got one close to the spec we wanted. This is our 5th wagon. I'll be one of the last holdouts for wagons - at least until they come back into vogue again.
The following 3 users liked this post by Amge63:
Bearrun21 (01-15-2024), chassis (12-18-2023), L39E (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM
Kurtis500
Intermediate

I would have been really upset to have that deposit down and get it cancelled. Glad you found a replacement.

I always liked the old 1980's Volve station wagons. I wonder if thats where I get the like for the wagon from. My mom had a 1983 chevy caprice station wagon but it was so big i cant compare it to the smaller wagons. The backwards facing seat was fun though.

Quick Reply: No more Panamera Sport Turismo.. Crying in my beer