My first Porsche…

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 05:27 PM
Mav Rick
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My first Porsche…

….and I couldn’t be happier.

My previous car was a W218 CLS63 AMG. I loved that car with my whole heart but, while she ran like a top, she still was an AMG with 100k miles and out of warranty. The possibility of becoming a 4500lb paperweight loomed large every time I drove her spiritedly. So…I decided it was time to start looking.

My initial idea was a GT63s. No offense, but nothing on the road sounds like an angry AMG V8. But a funny thing happened at the car dealership…the GT63 wasn’t a very good example but there WAS a Panamera Turbo on the lot. Now, I’d never really thought much about the Panny. I mean, it was cool and all but just didn’t do much for me. Turns out that the example at the dealership was an ST. Interesting as I ADORE fast wagons. So I took it for a test drive and was hooked. I’d found my muse!!!

My wife knew it, too. We went to lunch, afterwards, and all I could talk about was that car. She looked at me and asked ‘you’re going back to get it, aren’t you?’ Close…but I’m not quite that impulsive. Also…turns out that the dealership only deals in buybacks/lemon law’d cars. They’ve actually had 3-4 different Turbo ST’s since I checked it out in October. All buybacks.

But the search was on. Which lead to me to Porsche Norwell and a CPO’d Chalk turbo wagon that they had in inventory. In doing my research…and dreaming…I found a thread where the previous owner was on this forum. So I reached out to @Hams911 and he was gracious enough to tell me all about it. It’s been flawlessly taken care of (all services on time, full PPF, ceramic coating, Akrapovic exhaust) so I pulled the trigger.

She was delivered to me on Tuesday and I can’t stop smiling. The first thing I noticed is that this is a pretty big car. Longer and wider than the AMG so I have to take a bit more care parking her in our townhouse garage. She’s also wickedly quick. While rated similarly power-wise…this thing sits-n-gets off the line. AWD helps but it’s also nice to not have to wait until 4th gear to have full boost unlike the AMG biturbo V8’s. And it rides incredibly well. The CLS had pretty hard suspension that’s made even more noticeable by comparison.

There’s still a lot to learn. One of the downfalls of buying cars over the interwebs is no one shows you how to work the damn thing. For instance…why doesn’t my preset for the seating position hold when I lock the door? I have reached out to the local Porsche dealership to get some time for them to show me the important stuff. I’ve also got some things on the way to make the car a bit more ‘mine’. I’ve been modding cars since the early 90’s so there’s no use in stopping now.

Long post but I’m happy to be a part of the club and hope to be able to contribute!!!

Gone but not forgotten

Picked the car up on Monday afternoon in Boston...delivered 24hrs later in Atlanta

Unbelievably clean. Even after 1k miles on an uncovered trailer

Last edited by Mav Rick; 12-01-2023 at 05:33 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Mav Rick:
911C2R (12-01-2023), chassis (12-01-2023), FNTSTK 4 (12-22-2023), healthnut76 (12-02-2023), MKC91 (12-27-2023), Norge911 (12-01-2023), SuperG$ (12-04-2023), Val996 (12-02-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2023, 05:59 PM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Man Great Find. You won't be disappointed. I've had my ST for 3 months and its been great.. I wish mine had the screens in the back like yours but it had everything else. The PPF is a big bonus.

Here is mine in my town house garage.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 06:23 PM
Mav Rick
AutoX

Originally Posted by chaos2984
Man Great Find. You won't be disappointed. I've had my ST for 3 months and its been great.. I wish mine had the screens in the back like yours but it had everything else. The PPF is a big bonus.

Here is mine in my town house garage.
Thanx for the welcome and very nice lift!!! And great taste in colors, obviously!

I've thought about installing a Bendpak but our garage ceilings arent high enough. I have a modded GTI that is my wife's daily (really my 'toy'...but dont tell her) that has to stay outside under a tree in the driveway, so I have to get it washed a couple times a week to get rid of all the sap. Would love to park it under her M4. Do you work on your TST? I have lowering links and spacers on the way (thanx to @healthnut76 ) and plan on tackling the job, myself.

And speaking of the rear screens....don't know how to work those, either. Havent really tried, actually. Pretty sure my Pyredoodle isn't going to be impressed by Netflix on his rides to the park. hahahaha

Last edited by Mav Rick; 12-01-2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:38 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

Regarding seat, program the setting for you, ie SET 1, then SET the key button. This will program the seat and all settings (temp, interior light, etc) with that key.

however, when you stop and get out, the seat moves to rear position for easy ingress and egress and steering wheel moves up. It does not always move back to your programmed setting. Just push the 1 button to get back.

rear screens, continue pull up on rear window up button. If up, push down once and screen goes down, hold down and window goes down.

rear hatch, rear most button on door opens hatch, next to it closes the hatch.

when you lift car for your mods, make sure you set air suspension in jack mode, done through the screen. If you start or move car after set, it cancel so make sure it is the last thing you do before raising car.

cool thing, while driving, pull both paddles back at same time and car goes in neutral, push gear up on right to re-engage.

enjoy your car. Looks fantastic.

Last edited by Norge911; 12-01-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:10 PM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mav Rick
Thanx for the welcome and very nice lift!!! And great taste in colors, obviously!

I've thought about installing a Bendpak but our garage ceilings arent high enough. I have a modded GTI that is my wife's daily (really my 'toy'...but dont tell her) that has to stay outside under a tree in the driveway, so I have to get it washed a couple times a week to get rid of all the sap. Would love to park it under her M4. Do you work on your TST? I have lowering links and spacers on the way (thanx to @healthnut76 ) and plan on tackling the job, myself.

And speaking of the rear screens....don't know how to work those, either. Havent really tried, actually. Pretty sure my Pyredoodle isn't going to be impressed by Netflix on his rides to the park. hahahaha
Thanks.
Yes I work on my TST. I work on all my cars. I have a trust issue when it comes have others work on my car for fixing issues or doing service to it.
Check out GTMachine on YT. That is my channel. I do mainly maintenance and repair video's on my Porsches.

How tall is your ceiling in your garage. mine is 9.8ft in the highest area. I just had to put a jack shaft opener on the door and raised up the door up a bit to help out.

One word to the wise with the car. It will get super angry when the voltage is low since its has ton's of electronic whistles in it.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:51 PM
Mav Rick
AutoX

Originally Posted by Norge911
Regarding seat, program the setting for you, ie SET 1, then SET the key button. This will program the seat and all settings (temp, interior light, etc) with that key.

however, when you stop and get out, the seat moves to rear position for easy ingress and egress and steering wheel moves up. It does not always move back to your programmed setting. Just push the 1 button to get back.

rear screens, continue pull up on rear window up button. If up, push down once and screen goes down, hold down and window goes down.

rear hatch, rear most button on door opens hatch, next to it closes the hatch.

when you lift car for your mods, make sure you set air suspension in jack mode, done through the screen. If you start or move car after set, it cancel so make sure it is the last thing you do before raising car.

cool thing, while driving, pull both paddles back at same time and car goes in neutral, push gear up on right to re-engage.

enjoy your car. Looks fantastic.
Thanx so much!!!!
Old 12-02-2023, 08:24 AM
digs
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice choice ! Looks sharp !
Old 12-02-2023, 10:17 AM
healthnut76
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Great backstory, Rick! Good to have you with us.

I know we're going to be talking more about the links, but quickly about setting the presets, the trick is that you have to press AND HOLD the set button while pressing the preset (1, 2, key). And always set the key after making a change to your settings (1, 2). I had the same trouble you're reporting, but ever since using the hold method, I've never had a problem with everything automatically going back to their preset positions/settings (you should NOT have to press your setting button to get everything back in place).
Old 12-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Mav Rick
AutoX

In an effort to make the car ‘mine’…I’ve done some tinkering. I got a Magic Box for wireless CarPlay and….ehhh. However, I bought the spacers from @healthnut76 and some lowering links, so now she’s sitting just like I like it. May actually bring the front up a bit. Next up…changing the color on the calipers. The obsession continues…

The following 4 users liked this post by Mav Rick:
chaos2984 (12-21-2023), digs (12-21-2023), healthnut76 (12-21-2023), MKC91 (12-27-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Kelmac
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car looks great and the stance is now perfect! Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
911C2R (12-27-2023)
Old 01-09-2024, 03:58 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Beautiful ST!

Quick Reply: My first Porsche…