Panamera 2010-Current

Where are the new car owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 12:58 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Where are the new car owners?

Rennlist used to be full of discussions about new cars and how to make the various systems work to the owners personal desire. What happened to that Rennlist.

Now 99% of discussions are by those who couldn't afford a new vehicle and/or wanting to make unnecessary modifications to their cars.

I miss the old Rennlist.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 02:56 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Rennlist used to be full of discussions about new cars and how to make the various systems work to the owners personal desire. What happened to that Rennlist.

Now 99% of discussions are by those who couldn't afford a new vehicle and/or wanting to make unnecessary modifications to their cars.

I miss the old Rennlist.
There are 290 million cars on the road in the U.S., and 16 million new cars sold per year. So nearly 20x "preowned" vehicle operators in relation to "new car" operators.

Are you proposing to create sub-fora on Rennlist where only new-car operators are allowed to post? What is the duration for the "new-car" designation? 1 day? 1 month? 1 year?

Or do you mean current production platform, for example 971 Panamera, 992 911 and 9Y0 Cayenne?

Please provide more information.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:19 PM
TheAv1ator
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The 992 section still seems to be just that. But for the Panamera forum:
- The 971 has been out for 7 years now with minimal change. There’s not much to figure out that hasn’t already been posted at length.
- We’re getting a new Panamera, but it’s more like a (IMO worse) facelift. Again, not much new to figure or get excited about. The updated suspension is the biggest real change, but I barely ever see posts complaining about the current 3 chamber air suspension.
- Panamera's depreciate like falling bricks and make for great value when used. Just about everyone knows this by now, so there tends to be much more discussion on used ones over new ones.
- While I love mine and many others do, it’s definitely Porsche’s least popular model.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheAv1ator:
chassis (01-06-2024), PandaSPUR (01-08-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 06:34 PM
digs
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think Panamera's are underwhelming in any way , Its just not an enthusiast cult car like a 911 ? New car owners enjoy them with out engine mods and the intercooler of the week ? Therefore there is less forum discussion unless a member has an issue , then they ask what to do ?

I never looked at Panamera as a potential car for me . Then I drove one and was impressed beyond belief ! I am more of a second owner clean used type of buyer , like many Porsche enthusiasts here .

I recently got a 997 C4S Cabrio and its by no measure a Panamera ! But still an awesome car with a massive cult following . So both are awaiting spring in the north east !
Old 01-06-2024, 07:02 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 247 Posts

I have 4 cars, the Panamera is my daily and hardly ever needs attention! I'm constantly tweaking my 911 as time permits (and updating my thread) and my e30 is always in a state of "what the F is wrong now??"

I could talk all day about working on my 911 or e30 but the Panamera is already a perfect car it seems...

Old 01-06-2024, 07:33 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 453 Posts

I don't really think thats fair to say. It's not like we couldn't "afford" new cars. People just keep these cars longer then they used to....
The following 3 users liked this post by Shuga:
Aubergine 73 (01-07-2024), e30rapidic (01-06-2024), N3DXT (01-09-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:44 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

And what is there to talk about a new car? Oh, it smells so good, the new leather. Or that one feels like a million bucks driving a brand new car. For the most part, people join the forum becuase they are looking for something, some answers/solutions to their mods or issues. Or share what they have done on their cars for others to learn. There is a thread in the 718 GT4/Spdyer forum that talks about people waiting for their new cars. The enthusiasm is different when you are waiting for a GT4/Spyder vs a Panny. I think that’s why there isn’t much new car talk in this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by E39Nutz:
cboxell (01-07-2024), chassis (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 03:54 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Change your car !
chassis (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 01:50 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
And what is there to talk about a new car? Oh, it smells so good, the new leather. Or that one feels like a million bucks driving a brand new car. For the most part, people join the forum becuase they are looking for something, some answers/solutions to their mods or issues. Or share what they have done on their cars for others to learn. There is a thread in the 718 GT4/Spdyer forum that talks about people waiting for their new cars. The enthusiasm is different when you are waiting for a GT4/Spyder vs a Panny. I think that’s why there isn’t much new car talk in this forum.
I think people would talk about their new Panny's if there was people waiting for new Panny's. I don't think they sell very well at all...
Aubergine 73 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 03:44 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
I think people would talk about their new Panny's if there was people waiting for new Panny's. I don't think they sell very well at all...
In the past would walk in to the dealer and order. No waiting for allocations for models above the base. So either Porsche is stingy or the demand increased. It’s very difficult to get a GTS allocation or higher from Pittsburgh area dealers so I’ve given up.
RED HORSE (01-09-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 07:28 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justabout
In the past would walk in to the dealer and order. No waiting for allocations for models above the base. So either Porsche is stingy or the demand increased. It’s very difficult to get a GTS allocation or higher from Pittsburgh area dealers so I’ve given up.
If you tired recently they aren't making the GTS anymore at the moment since the redesign is coming out. I personally feel they are stingy with them. I think they're getting easing out, the panamera. I could be wrong. However I find it very strange and disheartening that when they announced the redesign of the Panamera they haven't included the 4s. Now the GTS typically comes later. However if we look at the "New" Cayenne that just came out, as they typically share the same drivetrain. They released the base, S, and Turbo models all at the same time. The big change for the Cayenne was that the S now goes back to a V8. I personally was expecting the Panamera 4S to go back to the V8 as well. But we didn't even get an announcement of the 4S....

I mean think about it, what about the typical Porsche buyer who want's something in between the base and the Turbo? They've just cut them out... It's a huge jump, power wise and price wise. But I don't see the 4S coming back. I think they want to focus on the Taycan. They can't go fully electric with the Panamera. It wouldn't make sense the Taycan is to close. Even though it's slightly smaller....
Old 01-08-2024, 11:41 AM
Mav Rick
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE

I miss the old Rennlist.
'old Rennlist' sounds boring....and based on your last sentence....kinda prickish, too.

of course....im one of the ones 'who couldnt afford a new vehicle' and ADORE making 'unnecessary modifications' to my cars. so what do i know?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mav Rick:
digs (01-08-2024), N3DXT (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 01:18 PM
SuperG$
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
It's not like we couldn't "afford" new cars.
I couldn't afford a new Panny. I can afford a new Mazda, but that doesn't get me excited to go for a drive.* I like seeing posts from second & third owners celebrating their new-to-them ride. Modding isn't my thing anymore but I appreciate seeing people personalize their cars. I like seeing owner reports of higher-mileage cars taking long road trips and falling in love again with their ride.

*Maybe the ND Miata is exciting? But it won't hold my family on a cross-country road trip...

Quick Reply: Where are the new car owners?