Panamera 2010-Current

Final Sport Turismo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 12:54 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Final Sport Turismo

Took delivery of to my knowledge one of the very last Sport Turismo’s today. It is more or less the same spec as I had before with some additions. I happen to ❤️ the ST shape. 🙂

noteworthy items is that the steering column is not electrified adjustment, which was a surprise to me and not communicated. Also the rear screen for rear passengers when choosing 4 seat configuration is basic in the sense I was under the impression it would show Media, Nav and Climate but alas it does not add anything in comparison to the capabilities compared to a five seater, ie just Climate.

otherwise it is the same 🙂🙂🙂

can post some pics tomorrow, if anyone wants to see.
The following 8 users liked this post by Black_on_black:
chaos2984 (01-19-2024), chassis (01-20-2024), earlyapex (01-30-2024), healthnut76 (01-20-2024), L39E (01-22-2024), MKC91 (01-19-2024), TRITONE (01-22-2024), wingless (01-20-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations! Hold on to this! Let's see some pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by earlyapex:
Chaos (01-19-2024), chassis (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 06:59 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

It’s a little wintry here … but here are some pics. I notice now in daylight the two radar detectors in the front used to be dull, but are now glossy, and the license plate holder is more integrated which is nice.

People with sharp eyes will notice the 21” wheels are custom, they are a set of GTS wheels, normally painted black with a polished rim. I had them repainted in the same satin grey that the original Platinum Edition package wheels are, since up here in the north we have separate sets winter and summer, and I wanted a more uniform look over the seasons. Also, because of this, the rear wheels are actually 11,5” wide, versus what Porsche sells as “winter” wheels which are 1” narrower, which looks a little less aggressive, despite having the same type dimensions at the rear, 315.

The following 4 users liked this post by Black_on_black:
chassis (01-20-2024), earlyapex (01-30-2024), TRITONE (01-22-2024), wingless (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:07 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

In the interior, much is the same as I had before, highlight is the heated Alcantara steering wheel which is simply wonderful.

in the rear I opted for the two seat configuration as my children are more or less full size and we travel long distances across Europe a few times a year. This gives a more reclined backrest than with the five seat, as the seats are just slightly further inboard, as well as the possibility to set lumbar, not possible with the regular three seat rear combination. I had also hoped for a larger screen in the back able to display maps and so on but not even the dealer knew what precisely would come. It’s not like I had any choice so it is what it is.

A little surprise interior wise is the lack of electric steering wheel adjustment, this seems to be deleted on a large swath of the range recently, as I checked Cayennes also and they were manual. Cost savings by Porsche no doubt.

The following 7 users liked this post by Black_on_black:
911C2R (01-20-2024), chaos2984 (01-20-2024), chassis (01-20-2024), earlyapex (01-30-2024), MKC91 (01-30-2024), TRITONE (01-22-2024), wingless (01-20-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:51 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 908 Posts

Beautiful! Congratulations. Love Dolomite Silver!
The following users liked this post:
Black_on_black (01-20-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 07:35 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 454 Posts

So sad to see such a beautiful trim come to an end. It was always so under rated...
L39E (02-05-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 08:31 PM
deejott
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Dolomite Silver ST here, too

Great looking ST!
Before they are gone for good, I picked myself up a second one in a row and went from BLACK to DOLOMITE SILVER, just like yours
earlyapex (01-30-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 08:33 PM
deejott
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ST shape

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I happen to ❤️ the ST shape. 🙂
Same here...too bad there are not enough buyers out there to keep that wagon with ICE engine alive.
The following 3 users liked this post by deejott:
BertilDator (01-28-2024), Black_on_black (01-22-2024), TRITONE (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 01:06 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts

The "missing" electric steering column could very well be parts shortages. The chip shortage was big news a year or so ago in OEM manufacturing, but it's definitely still a thing (my job is OEM manufacturing/engineering). Only now it's not only chips, it's parts of all sorts unavailable - seat leather, a particular high strength steel for the B-pillar, a unique connector for the EFI ECU, literally anything)

FWIW, "cost cutting" is VERY much a thing, but not in the way of removing features - features drive profitability increases. What (the negative side of) cost cutting actually looks like is substituting materials that are "good enough", or reducing the QC criteria from 800hrs of salt spray testing to 400hrs, that type of thing.

On a different note: I'm going to guess you either work or have hobbies dealing with graphics/images - your picture composition is good, not just "random dude random snapshot"

Black_on_black (01-22-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Originally Posted by sac02
The "missing" electric steering column could very well be parts shortages. The chip shortage was big news a year or so ago in OEM manufacturing, but it's definitely still a thing (my job is OEM manufacturing/engineering). Only now it's not only chips, it's parts of all sorts unavailable - seat leather, a particular high strength steel for the B-pillar, a unique connector for the EFI ECU, literally anything)

FWIW, "cost cutting" is VERY much a thing, but not in the way of removing features - features drive profitability increases. What (the negative side of) cost cutting actually looks like is substituting materials that are "good enough", or reducing the QC criteria from 800hrs of salt spray testing to 400hrs, that type of thing.

On a different note: I'm going to guess you either work or have hobbies dealing with graphics/images - your picture composition is good, not just "random dude random snapshot"
Thanks, I have a pretty good eye for angles and creating depth in photos. Much cred however needs to go to Apple, these photos were just iPhone 14 Pro.

Interesting re cost cutting. Good to know. I am in a good mind to challenge the dealer actually and nicely demand a retrofit whenever the parts are made available, or even swap to my older car the motorised steering column, if that is even reasonably possible given potentially different cabling.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:57 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Yea definitely a supply chain issue. Many Porsches built during/immediately after COVID were missing stuff like the electronic steering column.
I thought they fixed those issues though, cause my '23 GTS that was ordered in April and delivered in August has no missing features.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

My first Sport Turismo delivered towards the end of Covid, I think at about the time of the outbreak of the Russian invasion had no missing parts either so probably a lot of variation in the supply chain. Am just surprised manufacturers have not built better resilience to not have to pass off issues to the customers. Awhile I guess the customers can adapt but in harder business climates that will hurt customers and brand value.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:30 PM
PandaSPUR
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
My first Sport Turismo delivered towards the end of Covid, I think at about the time of the outbreak of the Russian invasion had no missing parts either so probably a lot of variation in the supply chain. Am just surprised manufacturers have not built better resilience to not have to pass off issues to the customers. Awhile I guess the customers can adapt but in harder business climates that will hurt customers and brand value.
The way it works now is the preferred modern approach for efficiency/cost: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/j/jit.asp. So companies profit more and theoretically we get stuff cheaper + faster.
But yea, COVID plus war has really shown the weaknesses of this approach.
Black_on_black (01-25-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 07:49 AM
VikingPorsche
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I love the Sport Turismo, have a '18 E-Hybrid ST myself and I am always looking for a new car but I always fell back to a newer 971.2 as the only real possible replacement..

Regarding manual steering wheel adjustment I've seen this on almost all 2023 models and some 2022 models of the Hybrids, but most if now all V8s have this so Porsche may have prioritized the top end builds for these parts. I don't believe electrical adjustable steering wheel is even mentioned anywhere as stanrard equipment?

Interesting with the rear screen. I know there have been some delivery issues with 4-zone climate control in addition to the electrical adjustable steering columnn, but you seem to have 4-zone climate - just not the large screen that I was sure was what you got if you ordered 4-zone climate on a 4-seater? I've actually not seen that solution before, is this something new they have made for the 2022+ models?

Love the 11.5" rear rims! I have 10.5" rear myself as you could not get wider rear rims on winter directly from Porsche as you said yourself. Do you think this is because of higher risk of stone chips etc? The paint on my E-Hybrid has a lot of stone chips behind the front wheel and low on the wheel arch right before the rear wheel.

Last edited by VikingPorsche; 01-30-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:15 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

They use the narrower wheels for winter tires to allow low profile cable chains. If you use the wider wheel, you don't have clearance.

Quick Reply: Final Sport Turismo