Panamera 2010-Current

Changing Steering Wheels on a 970

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 01:24 PM
Pat_Opsahl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Steering Wheels on a 970

Bought a 2015 Panamera GTS this summer and it came with this steering wheel. See attachment: I have no controls on the steering wheel. I have a selector arm on the right side of steering wheel on the steering column. I would like to change to, what I call standard steering wheel with the controls on the wheel spokes.

Used steering wheels on line, (ebay, craigslist, salavage yard sites) have a varied price range, ($200 - $2000). If they are authentic Porsche steering wheels, why such a great price difference?

Will any steering wheel from a 970 fit? For example will a used 2010 Panamera 4 fit on my 2015 Panamera GTS? Will there be any connection challenges? I am assuming I will need PIWIS to get a different steering wheel coded to my Panamera...

I also wanted to ask if my air bag will fit all used 970 steering wheels?

Has anyone done this before? Who do you recommend I purchase a used steering wheel from?

Thank you,
Patrick
Old 03-17-2024, 01:27 PM
Pat_Opsahl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last month I took the Panamera into the dealer for a recall notice.
I ask the service manager if my steering wheel was original to the car. Yes it is the original steering wheel and it originally came with the right side stalk to operate/control all the dash functions that steering thumb wheels do.
I then ask if they could change my steering wheel to one that is heated and has the controls in the steering wheel spokes? He said no.
So, if I change the steering wheel to a used one from a salvage yard or to one from an aftermarket dealer, will I be able to change the controls wiring from the right side original stalk to the in the steering wheel controls? And add heated steering wheel function?
Thanks,
Patrick
Old 03-23-2024, 12:27 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat_Opsahl
Bought a 2015 Panamera GTS this summer and it came with this steering wheel. See attachment: I have no controls on the steering wheel. I have a selector arm on the right side of steering wheel on the steering column. I would like to change to, what I call standard steering wheel with the controls on the wheel spokes.

Used steering wheels on line, (ebay, craigslist, salavage yard sites) have a varied price range, ($200 - $2000). If they are authentic Porsche steering wheels, why such a great price difference?

Will any steering wheel from a 970 fit? For example will a used 2010 Panamera 4 fit on my 2015 Panamera GTS? Will there be any connection challenges? I am assuming I will need PIWIS to get a different steering wheel coded to my Panamera...

I also wanted to ask if my air bag will fit all used 970 steering wheels?

Has anyone done this before? Who do you recommend I purchase a used steering wheel from?

Thank you,
Patrick
Yes you can also use 911 Steering, 997.2 , 991 , 981 etc.. no programing needed if you get same option like Sport/sport plus indicator.. your steering have no multifunciton so I suggest just get same one....multifunction needs programming. .. so far my experience 09-15 works ...

Last edited by alex911s; 03-23-2024 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:26 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It is my understanding to add heat you need a new clock spring and obviously a heated steering wheel. It can be done. I believe this generation 970 is the same wheel as the Cayenne as well, so you can buy a Cayenne wheel also. Here is a Cayenne thread on how they do it to the updated wheel. I am looking at a 970 GTS right now that has the wheel you want, but unless I swapped out wheels to a newer version, I like the controls on the wheel as well. The difficult part for the newer wheel is finding a reasonably priced airbag...which is why I haven't swapped it in my Cayenne yet.

Quick Reply: Changing Steering Wheels on a 970