Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
(IMO)Chalk and Cheese!
With regard to performance? That was what I mentioned in the previous post.

Which one is the chalk and which one is the cheese? You think the Panamera S is better in performance than the M5 or M3?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ze_shark
I had the opportunity to drive the S, 4S & Turbo both on a handling course and on open roads. The chassis of the S & 4S impressed me but the N/A V8 lacks torque, especially on the longer upper ratios of the PDK gearbox. I therefore had high expectations for the Turbo and it was a complete disappointment: marginally more meat on a straight line, but way too nose heavy in twisty stuff. Stunning to see how 240lbs in the nose can ruin the balance compared to a 4S.

I looked on the Porsche website and couldn't find anything about the weight distribution front to rear. Any guesses on what it is?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

53/47
Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Where did you find the info ? The 60+ pages press pack does not say a word about weight balance, they just give the DIN claims for each model and boast the pride of being under two tons.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I saw the car for the first time today. And i have to say it is Beautiful. It is a true Porsche in every sense and they came through yet again. Anyone got 159,000 dollars i can "borrow" i want that turbo!!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a grown ups car....not for people toting kids around. The buyer is looking for a car he/she can take a couple out and other than that he/she is looking for a 911 type drive but have luxury as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
With regard to performance? That was what I mentioned in the previous post.

Which one is the chalk and which one is the cheese? You think the Panamera S is better in performance than the M5 or M3?
I would compare it to the M5, not the M3. I personally compared it to my former M6, which was much heavier and more sluggish and less performance in IMO.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I would compare it to the M5, not the M3. I personally compared it to my former M6, which was much heavier and more sluggish and less performance in IMO.
Ok so you're inclined to say the Panamera S has better performance figures than all 3 models - the M3, M5, and M6.

Actually the Panamera S is HEAVIER than the M6, and is short 100 hp as well.

Panamera S - 3968 lbs. 400hp
BMW M6- 3909 lbs. 500hp
BMW M3- 3726 lbs. 414hp

I'll wager a beer that it's the other way around.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Ok so you're inclined to say the Panamera S has better performance figures than all 3 models - the M3, M5, and M6.

Actually the Panamera S is HEAVIER than the M6, and is short 100 hp as well.

Panamera S - 3968 lbs. 400hp
BMW M6- 3909 lbs. 500hp
BMW M3- 3726 lbs. 414hp

I'll wager a beer that it's the other way around.
the panamera s will not outperform an m5 or an m6-you know, after i think this all out, the best choice and deal that you can make if you are interested in this type of a porsche is to get a cayenne turbo s-there are a bunch of 09 leftovers in the dealers showrooms and they are going nuts to get rid of them-buying one at invoice would not be a problem, so a large discount on a car with the same or similar engine as the panamera turbo with great performance, great build quality and luxory, awd and transportation for 5 with the ability to take a bunch of luggage, etc-i would say get an 09 cayenne turbo s at a deep discounted price. for those of you who say that you are getting a sedan with a 911 ride/handling-you are fooling yourselves. these drive like high quality sports sedans. a panamera s, to me, feels like a bmw 550i. an 4s feels a bit better than a mercedes e550 awd. a turbo similar to a mercedes e63, not as hard edged as an m5-maybe like an m6. but nothing like a 911 or 911 turbo. i think after time these panameras will be used as a personal luxory and performance sedan for those wanting a "porsche varient of a 5 series bmw". maybe even a masseratti sedan. i just hope that it doesn't hurt the dealers by loading them up with cars that they will have trouble selling-the cayenne has been their bread and butter. better they spend their money and time making hi performance cayenne hibrid cars, with the porsche feel and build quality.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know the m6 had more power, but the Panamera handled better to me. It was definately more nimble and felt much more planted than the M6. Of course, the real test would be in spatanburg on the course at BMW and do a side by side. what kind of beer do you like???
Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

... PanameraS is a little slower, than M5, M3.

Panamera4S is a "sleeper", it will leave current M5, M3 in the dust on any road geometry, especially after 100 mi/h, but not in a radical manner as PanameraTT will...

...the major Panamera advantage beyond engine is it's wide chassis and it's low center of gravity...

...wider and much lower car, than M5, M3...

...as much, as I hate it's looks, especially from the rear, I love it's driving dynamics as a sports sedan...

...one needs to take a test drive of a Pan4S to start feeling this, not PanS...

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 10-22-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Ape
Advanced

I drove all three today extensively.......The 4S seems to be the perfect balance. I should have one in my garage by tomorrow night.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Turbo is my choice, after playing at Candlestick Park today. Initially, I thought I would go for the 4S.

My wife still likes the driving position of the Cayenne Turbo, and since it is going to be her car I have to wait until she changes her mind..or until the new Cayenne arrives.

But anyone with an ounce of driving ability will recognize in a heartbeat that the Panamera is an absolutely fantastic driving machine.

Congrats!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I drove a 4s yesterday too:

When the Cayenne came out in 2003, I was ready to burn Porsche at the stake. What an ugly POS - my initial impression. I was unforgiving and relentless in branding the leadership in Stuttgart as crazy and suicidal. Fast forward 5 years and I have an 08 CTT in the driveway which I love, but I have been highly skeptical of the Panamera. Once again, Porsche has out-uglied the Cayenne IMHO. In this economy and with other beautiful options - Maserati, Aston, Fisker hybrib - they seemed to be on another suicide trip.

Well, that all changed yesterday. I went by a local dealer and checked out a Pan Turbo and a 4s. The car is so large that you cannot see all the ugliness in one view. Standing next to one you can only appreciate the smooth arcing lines of the body which appear quite muscular. The frown on my face evaporates once I got in the car. The interior is fantastic - it makes the full leather interior of my CTT look like a Chrysler rental. The effect is nicer than any Audi A8, and comparable to the Maserati with a more German tone.

The frown changes to a wide-eyed smile as I drive this "abomination" - really feels like a 4 seat sports car! The 4s I drove was Grey with a light interior and Sport Chrono. The PDK is perfect for the car, and it pulls as hard as the CTT but without any lag. The exhaust note replicates my old high school friend's family 6.9l Mercedes beast - so deep, so subtle and perfect! I don't care how ugly it is anymore, I gotta have one in the garage! The CTT lease comes up in 18 months - I know exactly what will replace it.
Bring it out to TWS when you get it!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

what i could not believe was that you had to shift to 3RD GEAR by about 45 mph - my GTS will do something like 65 in 2nd. - same engine

basically i found 1st and 2nd to be useless on 4 lane city streets in Ottawa - you were in 3rd gear and too low in the RPM range for fun so it was just frustrating

i was going to go this weekend to try the turbo but couldn't get time

Quick Reply: I Drove The 4S Today