Panamera 2010-Current

Switched from Pirelli to Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Switched from Pirelli to Michelin

Gents- Had a quick question for anyone that switched from the OEM 20" Pirelli P-zeros to the Michelin PSS.

I have a '13 GTS that came with the Pirelli's. While I did not like them initially, after a few thousand miles they really settled in, and I found that at 40 cold front and rear, the handling was pretty darn good. Anyway, once I burned through them, I switched to the Michelin PSS. Only had them a few hundred miles so far, and still getting used to them, but having a hard time dialing in a tire pressure that seems to be working. I think that my alignment needs to also be re-adjusted, but taking the car in Monday to have that addressed.

Anyone that made the switch on a GTS have anything to offer? Much thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
PP4sCape town
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also changed about 300 miles ago. To be honest I think the Pirelli’s was better. Not as quite but definitely felt more solid with better handling. The MPSS feels too soft and does not inspire confidence. Maybe it’s a pressure thing or need more time to run in. It might also be the extreme heat we had the last few days. Will let you know when I did a little more testing.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the reply...I feel exact same way about it. Based on all that I have read, however, it just makes no sense, as everyone seems to indicate that the PSS is just a far superior tire. Curious, what cold pressures have you been running thus far?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM
PP4sCape town
5th Gear

I tried a few times between 33 to 40 psi without a big difference.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:55 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Cole;

Wow, you have really burned through those tires! Glad to see you are using your car. Despite the fact that I have 17k miles on my gts, I haven't had to change the tires yet because over 1/2 of those are on my winter wheel set. I will be interested to hear your thoughts, especially since my came with Michelins!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:59 AM
PP4sCape town
5th Gear

My First set of Pirellis lasted 8000 miles the second set only 6000. I hope the Michelin's lasts longer as they cost almost $2700 here in SA. But the Pirellis was superior at high speed cruising. I do a trip up country twice a month (2000 miles) and that meant the last set only lasted for two months. The Michelins feels nervous with some movement above 150 miles an hour where the Pirellis was stable and gave more confidence.

This is also where you notice the difference between Porsche and my other cars Like the AMG's Jag XFR and M cars. You can run the Porsche at 150+ miles a hour for 8 to 9 hours without funny noises or losing plastic bits and bumpers. Just top up the oil and turn around and drive back.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Hey Dis....how's life? yes, driving it as a DD everyday, I enjoy my spirited driving! I actually was excited that I got 10K miles from the set. As I mentioned, thus far, have not been all that happy with the Michelin's...I really hope its simply an alignment issue. I guess I will know Monday when I take it back in.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Cole,

Once again glad the car is as great as anticipated. Things are great with mine as well. I love the Platinum Silver, the car is always clean! Plus it looks kinda classy. That color looks amazing in early mornings/evenings and under the lights at night. Mine has its snow shoes on for the winter, it actually does great, only when it gets really deep do I avoid driving it. One sad note, I had to get rid of my Cayenne diesel. I have 3 kids, they finally reached an age where I couldnt fit them comfortably in the Cayenne, so had to get a massive 3 row SUV, quite honestly I dont like it -- Escalade ESV, but the kids are comfy and happy. They can't hit each other anymore since they are spread out so its nice. Plus it carries a ton of stuff so it has been useful. At least my wife still has a Cayenne Diesel, so i drive that alot when we dont need to take kids places. The 991 Cab is mothballed, waiting for nice weather -- its been a horrible winter.

Please give me your thoughts on the tire issue; mine will need to be replaced this summer, so need to decide what brand to get. I bought a set of Pirellis for my Cayenne before I sold it, I thought they did well, especially for 21's.

Take Care
Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Hey Dis...congrats on the new boat, er, I mean SUV haha! safety first man

Quick update: as I suspected, since I really know my car, the alignment post tire install was completely jacked. Not sure what happened (i.e., newer tech, machine out of calibration etc), but I brought in back yesterday to my local indie shop and they re-aligned the car, for no charge of course. They were super apologetic, so I suspect they had their machine re-calibrated this past week and realized their errors.

Wow...like a brand new car again. So, now I need to play wit the tire pressures a tad this week to dial in something I like, but even at the staggered set up they left them at today, its night and day from last week. So, as expected, and as I read about extensively., it clearly was not the Michelin rubber that was affecting the ride. I'll report more after I get a few hundred miles on them.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad to hear your car is back in line with your expectations! Amazing what a difference an alignment can make!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Morning...oh yeah....MUCH better for me at this point. I am running 40 cold front and rear, and so far, the car is handing nicely. I'll play with them a tad moreover the weekend to continue to dial in what I like (I, like many P-car owners, am very **** retentive about tire pressure)

Since I only have around 450 miles on these new tires, I assume they are still "Settling in" and that some of the high tread needs to be scrubbed off to really get the enhanced performance.

One thing that is noticeable, is that there seems to be heavier rolling resistance on these as compared to the pirellis'...maybe I am forgetting how the Pirellis handled initially or perhaps these are a heavier tire. Either way, noticeable that I need to deploy heavier throttle pressure...which I am of course happy to do!!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
thereader
Cruisin'

Check out recent Motor Trend road test comparison btwn Panny Turbo, Merc CLS AMG, and Audi RS7. Panamera outhandled the other two by a wide margin. They loved the handling dynamics of the car. The car was riding on Mich PSS... On another note, how could swapping out tires screw up the alignment? That has me concerned since I change tires seasonally also on my 4s.. Should I check out alignment after swapping out tires... never thought this was necessary..
Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

no....every time you get all four new tires, you are supposed to get an alignment. I don't believe an alignment necessary if only replacing fronts or rears, for example.

Quick Reply: Switched from Pirelli to Michelin