Panamera 2010-Current

They got this one right methinks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default They got this one right methinks.

In my not so humble opinion, Porsche got this one right for a change:
Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Fogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur. That is a LOT better looking rear third than the Panamera.

I like a 30km electric range, too.

But one of my first thoughts was they're terrified of admitting, to Americans, that it's a hatchback. I'd wager the euro campaign will emphasize the "shooting brake" aspect.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Renn_Thrills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I submit its a fail because they’ve done nothing to move this forward in the two years since the design has debuted to rave reviews. It will be an absolute winner if they do release it, especially if its available with the v8 gts motor
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Good looking ride. Panamera is just way too big for my tastes. If they stuck it in a drier on hot and it shrank by 10 or 15% it would be the right size...
Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 AM
NoVector
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Like the display
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@NoVector, I'm not sure. Are those supposed to be mirrors in there? I think that makes you keep your head down too long while driving. Interesting idea, but there are enough distracted drivers out there with sphincter marks on their necks and people looking through the steering wheel while driving. Giving them another reason to keep their head focused inside rather than up and moving around doesn't seem like a good idea. Just my .02.

@Dave C: I agree. I know it's for safety reasons but cars keep getting bigger and bigger and having smaller windows relative to the door height. Used to be you could drive with one hand on the window sill and have your fingers on the roof. Can't do that with many new cars.

Makes me laugh at the fact that the Porsche purists said the 928 was too big and fat when it came out. My car is dwarfed by 99% of the cars I'm sitting next to at any light. They're all so BIIG.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

This may be a variation of the 2nd generation Panamera, which should come in 2015 as a 2016 model.

But to be honest, when looking at that video I'd take the house over the car any day.

PS: I should add that I'm a strong opponent of using cameras to replace rear view mirrors. Tesla is asking for permission to implement this as well. I think that there is something to be said about true vision, when it comes to monitoring your surroundings. With the displays, people would not just stop looking towards the side, they would likely stop looking over their shoulders altogether. It would only be a matter of time when they change lane and hit someone.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Landshark87
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Frye
I think that makes you keep your head down too long while driving. Interesting idea, but there are enough distracted drivers out there ...
the 928's stereo and climate controls are located by your ankles - your argument is invalid.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:25 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 513 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn_Thrills
I submit its a fail because they’ve done nothing to move this forward in the two years since the design has debuted to rave reviews. It will be an absolute winner if they do release it, especially if its available with the v8 gts motor
The 928-4 made for Ferry's 75th birthday was made in 1984. The styling was clearly the same as the S4 launched two years later.

The Panamericana made for Ferry's 80th birthday in 1989 was also clearly related to the 993 introduced in 1993.

I still hope this car will replace the current Panamera. It is so much more nice!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole
... using cameras to replace rear view mirrors. Tesla is asking for permission to implement this as well. I think that there is something to be said about true vision, when it comes to monitoring your surroundings. With the displays, people would not just stop looking towards the side....
I have noticed a number of new car models where the sideview mirrors do not have enough yaw range to enable them to be adjusted to look into the side blind spots. Apparently The Law requires them to exist but does not require them to function properly.

Getting ride of the side mirrors will reduce weight and lower Cd.

I don't think sideview cameras will make a noticeable difference in driver distraction. The system should send a text to the driver when the blind spot is filled...
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM
tv
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Although it has some nice interior details there is not a tube of lipstick in the world large enough to make this pig look good. I like the VOSS water bottle product placement, goes with the house. Porsche has losers running their design dept.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
atb
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The side accents detract from the organic look of the car. If they were functional and bled off high pressure from the front arches then it would make sense. As is I think it cheapens the cars appearance, there is no function following the form of that design decision.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
<snip>The system should send a text to the driver when the blind spot is filled...

Too true
Old 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM
tv
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice morning at whole foods, a yellow murciealago blasting around and then this. First one i have seen up close, like our 928's the beautiful shape does not translate to photo's very well. Such a great design in person, so much better than the panamera or any other sedan for that matter. The only competitors would have been the copycat fisker and the what if Lotus Eterne.

Last edited by tv; 10-16-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tv
Nice morning at whole foods, a yellow murciealago blasting around and then this. First one i have seen up close, like our 928's the beautiful shape does not translate to photo's very well. Such a great design in person, so much better than the panamera or any other sedan for that matter.
I consider the Model S to be as innovative and future-oriented as the 928 was in its time. Only that the 928 was more radical in its look while the Tesla is more radical in technology.

Quick Reply: They got this one right methinks.