Panamera 2010-Current

GTS Options to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default GTS Options to look for

I'm thinking of replacing my 535xi wagon for a used GTS to sit next to my 981 Spyder. I feel like I know the sports car end of Porsche well, but I don't know much about the Panamera except that I rode in one and fell in love.

I live in NorCal with bumpy roads, so I know I want some kind of air suspension, and I would put a lot of miles on it so radar cruise control would be very nice. Other than that, are there major desirable options or packages I should look for in the used marker?
-lights?
-stereo?
-interior packages?

Thanks for the info.. I'll keep researching also.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27 PM
yuanshiang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm the OP of the 4S vs GTS thread... i ultimately went with a 2013 PGTS. AFAIK, the PGTS comes with air suspension standard and i didn't see or test drive a single PGTS w/out it. also standard on the GTS variant is the sports exhaust.

the options i was debating were non-performance things keyless entry and blind-spot assist... both were nice-to-haves and ended up finding one with those included.

one performance option that my car has is PDCC w/ PTV... it's a MSRP $5k option and while i read up on what it does i can't really tell you if it makes a huge difference... my guess is for casual driving it's not necessary.

i don't think adaptive CC was available yet on the 2013 so i can't speak to that.

not sure if this is what you were looking for but those were some of the things i was deciding on a couple months back.

good luck.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm thinking of replacing my 535xi wagon for a used GTS to sit next to my 981 Spyder. I feel like I know the sports car end of Porsche well, but I don't know much about the Panamera except that I rode in one and fell in love.

I live in NorCal with bumpy roads, so I know I want some kind of air suspension, and I would put a lot of miles on it so radar cruise control would be very nice. Other than that, are there major desirable options or packages I should look for in the used marker?
-lights?
-stereo?
-interior packages?

Thanks for the info.. I'll keep researching also.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Yea thanks... The adaptive cruise is kind of important to me for long trips, so I'll check on that a bit more. Is there a big difference between nose and burmeister on this car?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out this thread.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adaptive cruise control is an awesome option - I didn't realize how much I would like it.

In terms of Bose vs Burmester - I don't have a direct comparison, but I have Burmester and I am not 'blown away' by the system. My biggest gripe about it is that it doesn't have an equalizer that allows me to fine tune the sound settings. I think the B&O system in my BMW 5-series sounded far better (after making some adjustments to the equalizer). The Burmester does have the standard treble/bass settings and also has a few sound filters/environments, but this is not enough for me.

I don't have a GTS, but one of the characteristics of the GTS that I really like is the alcantara seating (this is what comes standard), but I have seen a bunch of GTSs that have leather seating (perhaps to get seat ventilation, which I have and it is a nice option during warmer weather).

I believe GTSs come standard with the sports steering wheel, but again you may see some optioned with the multifunction steering wheel. I like the sports steering wheel a lot more primarily because of the shift paddles.

I personally would look for a 2014+ model as the exterior lighting package is current with the other Porsche lines and will allow for the Panamera to look more 'modern' for future years. However, 2014+ Panameras are more expensive (likely for other reasons too).

The GTS is fairly loaded to begin with, but there are a lot of customization options, so the rest is up to you. GLWS
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Preeble
I don't have a GTS, but one of the characteristics of the GTS that I really like is the alcantara seating (this is what comes standard), but I have seen a bunch of GTSs that have leather seating (perhaps to get seat ventilation, which I have and it is a nice option during warmer weather).

I believe GTSs come standard with the sports steering wheel, but again you may see some optioned with the multifunction steering wheel. I like the sports steering wheel a lot more primarily because of the shift paddles.
I think that regarding the seats, the alcantara is only available on the 18-way, and a some people don't find those comfortable and have to go with the 14-way.

The GTS does come standard with the sport wheel, but the multifunction is a no-cost option and a lot of people like having the steering wheel controls. However for me, this was a deal breaker as the shift button on the right side of the wheel work oppositely from intuitive.

For me, the must-have option on the GTS is PDCC - mine has it and I haven't driven one without it, but from reading all the comments about how much better it lets the car corner as well as how much more smooth it is in a straight line, I think it's one of the most worthwhile options.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Thank you, I'll go read more on PDCC.. It's like a torque vectoring and suspension setup right??
Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Skidmarkz
Intermediate

Thank you, I'll go read more on PDCC.. It's like a torque vectoring and suspension setup right??
PDCC is hydraulically activated roll bars. They let the car act like the left and right suspensions are disconnected when driving in a straight line making the ride smoother. Then in corners it acts like a very stiff roll bar.

PTV+ (which comes with PDCC on Panameras) is the torque vectoring.
I forgot to mention that to me LCA is also a must have on the Panny.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default my MUST-HAVE PTS OPTION LIST

Originally Posted by Skidmarkz
PDCC is hydraulically activated roll bars. They let the car act like the left and right suspensions are disconnected when driving in a straight line making the ride smoother. Then in corners it acts like a very stiff roll bar.

PTV+ (which comes with PDCC on Panameras) is the torque vectoring.
I forgot to mention that to me LCA is also a must have on the Panny.
sounds like for the terrible norcal roads we have, that PDCC is a must-have option.

ok, this is what I've learned and will look for.

MY MUST-HAVE GTS OPTION LIST
-burmeister no need.. bose enough
-rader cruise control and LCA
-pdcc
-18 way seats
-front and rear sensors but no need for the surround camera
-if I can find a car with PCCB I'll get it.. having learned what a motherfcuker the porsche brake dust is, and how expensive replacements are, the idea of lifetime brakes with no dust (no track use) is very attractive to me.

Now I start my search.. thank you all for great expertise shared as always.. if I've missed any "must-haves" on my list feel free to add them.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the surround camera is extremely helpful when parking - if I were going to buy another Panamera, I would definitely get the surround camera.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few thoughts...( I currently have a 2012 turbo S as my daily driver)
I never thought of getting the Burmester in my 911, but always figured I would get it if I bought a Panamera. Glad I have it. Granted, I didn't buy new.

PCCB always sound appealing too. Bad idea if you plan to go to the track though, in terms of longevity. And keep in mind although it is unlikely you will ever have to replace the rotors in normal use, if you do it's going to be something like $13k per axle.

I loved the sport wheel in my 911, but was initially disappointed to have the multi- function in my Panamera. I like it now though, and realize I wouldn't be using the paddles much in this car. Ultimately, Porsche engineers can consistently shift better than I can.

I looked hard for a GTS, but ended up with a deal I could not refuse for my PTTS.

Good luck with the search, whatever you end up with, you will not be disappointed!

Happy motoring!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:44 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bose vs Burmester and other option preferences

Yea thanks... The adaptive cruise is kind of important to me for long trips, so I'll check on that a bit more. Is there a big difference between nose and burmeister on this car?
Strangely enough, the Bose setup in the PGTS is quite good IMO. I spec'd a Burmester in my '15 991 TTS and although a very good system, never blew me away.
I had the sport steering wheel in my '13 PGTS and loved the appearance, but actually find the multifunction on my '16 PGTS far more functional. The up/downshift buttons are more easily accessible than the paddles and the ability to control volume and other functions on the wheel just plain work better than the sport wheel.

PDCC on the 991 TTS made a noticeable difference cornering and was not necessary for highway cruising. The PGTS is a far heavier car, so although I did not have it on my '13 or do not have it on my '16 PGTS, would appreciate the added stiffness in corners. Make no mistake though, the PGTS corners beautifully and the lean allows one to feel its limits more easily that what I suspect would be the case with PDCC.

Lane warning is a very good feature and I think part of a premium package along with keyless feature, or whatever Porsche calls it. Light design unnecessary, as i found the auto high beam feature a bit much.

The PGTS is be far the most versatile, fun to drive car I have had. A four place track monster, a civilized highway cruiser and with enough space to fit lots of stuff. Also, uncommon and edgy. Speaking of common, funny, but yesterday a white P90D was hoping for a run on the highway, but neither did I want to try to, nor did I think that I would prevail up to go-to-jail speeds. I knew that if we were on a track the Tesla might be ahead on the first lap, but the PGTS would prevail over a 20 minute session if only because the Tesla would be in limp mode after maybe a few laps. My further guess is that on the Autobahn, the Tesla would not stay with a PGTS over 150, despite its parlor-game 0-60 acceleration. And lest we forget, below 40 degrees the AWD PGTS with winter tires is unbeatable for safe transport

Quick Reply: GTS Options to look for