Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Spikes Spiders 18” Low Profile Sport Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spikes Spiders 18” Low Profile Sport Snow Chains

Category: Wheels & Tires
Price (no $ sign please): $175
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 986, 987, 996, 997
Location (Region): NorCal
Item Condition: Brand New

To see a slideshow with many more pictures, click on the following link:
http://img192.imageshack.us/slidesho...=img4063kr.jpg

Items are sold on first come, first serve basis.

In order to raise money for an upcoming engine upgrade, I am selling a set of snow chains I bought for trips to the high country with my 996 C2. Fortunately I never had to use them. The chains are a perfect companion to the 18” turbo look Carrera wheels and winter tires I am selling. If you buy both the wheels and tires I’ll take $100 off the purchase of the chains.

Even though it looks like there are a lot of parts, they are actually quite easy to put on and fit nicely in the trunk of your car. Included is a set of “beater” lug nuts, because that is how they attach to your wheels. I recommend you practice installing them a few times at home before you install them for the real deal. Once you see how it works they are much easier to put on than standard tire chains or even the ones available from Porsche. The chains and hardware are all pre-assembled and ready to go onto a standard Carrera 18” rear wheel. No adjustments are necessary.

There is a good video on how to install the sport style wheels here:

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/videos

This sounds more difficult than it actually is, but I will briefly describe how it works. The metal plate secures onto the wheel lug nuts by use of a lug nut clamp and screw system. There are a total of 5 screws and clamps to install per side. The tool to install the nuts is included. Slide the clamps over the lug nuts and then tighten the hexagonal screw couplers into the clamp using the supplied tool. This will secure the clamp to the wheel bolt. Next screw the metal plate onto the hex couplers using the 5 screws (with plastic washers), again with the included tool. Once the metal plate is installed, you are ready to use the chains. There is a plastic cover that goes over the metal plate while you are driving without the chains installed. For example at this point you could drive the car around for the entire winter or to your destination should you think you might need chains on the way. Be sure to periodically check the screws for tightness.

Once you are ready to install the chains you simply twist the plastic cover off to the left (using the tool supplied), then wrap the chains around the tire. Next you take the special black disc locking plate, pull the red lock out, press the black disc into the metal plate through the center of the chains into the metal plate – and finally rotate the black disc to the right to secure it to the grooves in the plate and then release the red lock. Dis-assembly is the reverse, except to remove the lug clamps from the lug nuts you need to loosen off the hexagonal screw couplers a little before they will pull off.

Your purchase includes:

• The Spikes Spiders Sport tire chains, storage bag, and all hardware for rear 18” wheels. They retail for $550, not including shipping.

• A set of 10 old “beater” lug nuts that you can install if you want to keep the ones already on your car nice, since the clamps do put a fair amount of pressure on the lug nuts and could damage their finish.

$175 (firm) for the chains. They have never been used before, aside to verify proper fitment. If you drive in areas where you are required to carry chains, this is a great bargain versus the alternatives.

SHIPPING & HANDLING POLICY

FREE GROUND shipping and handling to ship this item via UPS or FedEx to lower 48 continental US addresses only.

For ALL other shipping methods or destinations you will need to pay the entire shipping cost, please inquire with your shipping address to get a shipping quote (example Hawaii, Alaska, or International) – in these cases you will be required to pay for the entire shipping cost. UPS Ground takes 2-7 business days in transit depending on your location. The chains will ship within 24 hours of full payment. A tracking number will be sent to you via email when the item ships. I ship extremely fast, sometimes within hours of having received payment. Please inquire about other shipping methods before bidding. I reserve the right to substitute shipping methods, for example FedEx or even hand carry if you live close enough.

International customers, please inquire with your mailing address if you are SERIOUSLY interested (please don’t spin my wheels unless you are really interested because it takes time and effort to work out the logistics). This is a heavy bulky item and it will very expensive to ship internationally. I will ship internationally if you pay for the shipping which varies drastically based on method and destination. Upon delivery you may also be responsible to pay duties, taxes, customs, or other fees which your country requires for import of used automotive parts.

RETURN/REFUND POLICY
All sales are final on this item. Item(s) are sold as pictured.

PAYMENT OPTIONS
To get your item shipped quickly, payment via paypal is highly preferred.

TAX
Since this is equivalent to a "garage sale" item, I do not collect tax, even for California sales. However you may be responsible to pay use tax depending on where you live.

Last edited by logray; 10-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Spikes Spiders 18” Low Profile Sport Snow Chains