Notices

Breaking in new "rebuilt" engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:27 AM
zarman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in new "rebuilt" engine

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum.

Well I'm trying to do some research on how to properly break in a new engine. It's a very controvertial topic and many different opinions are given.
I wanted to hear from you guys what you think about it.

Basically there are 2 schools of thought. The first is to take it easy for the first little while which means no hard full throttle runs for the first 500mile or so. Keep the RPMs low. After that you can start to open it up.

The second school of thought is to immediately put some hard loads on the engine right from the start. Perhaps you have seen this article, http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
It says that the break in period occurs in the first 20 miles! If left too late the piston rings will never form a nice seal.

Any opinions on the matter is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Zarman:

Everyone has an opinion on this subject, but I'd offer mine as I've been doing this sort of thing for many many years,....

New engines are comprised of LOTS of new parts that do not fit each other precisely,.....yet. The main goal during the break-in period is to assist all these parts to conform to each other while containing the heat and friction associated with the process.

For street engines with a long-life expectancy, I am gentle to the engine in its first 1000 miles and do not exceed 5000 RPM. I change the oil at 500 miles and 1000 miles before I begin the normal oil change regime.

The key thing is to never get the engine hot during this time by overrevving or by lugging. To assist the rings in seating, one should not operate the engine at constant RPM's for periods of time; one should be accelerating and coasting down again most of the time during the first 3000 miles so that the rings will seat properly. You'll know that this has occurred as oil consumption will stabilize.

Ring seating is aided by part-to-full throttle acceleration from 2500 to 4500 RPM in the higher gears. When the throttle is opened up at low RPM, the rings are forced outward by gas pressure against the cylinder wall and will burnish themselves and conform very precisely to that surface. When you back off the throttle at higher RPM, oil is drawn up, the rings relax tension against the walls and cools the rings and cylinder walls off.

Repeating this process is what is important during break-in so that engine develops best compression & ring sealing.

This has always worked very well for me when someone expects the engine to go another 100K+ miles.

Now,....Race engines must perform at peak HP immediately with little regard for long-term life, therefore these are broken-in on the engine dyno for 8 hours of running and then installed into the racecar for immediate use.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-30-2003, 11:28 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Having broken headstuds changed out right now, while motor is open new valve guides,rings and bearings going in. When I asked wrench what break in procedure to follow he said "drive, its good to go right out of the box". now i'm scared
Tom
Old 11-30-2003, 08:42 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Tom,....there is no reason to be scared,...

Just be nice to it for a 1000 miles and don't get it hot. Then, you can have fun,.....
Old 11-30-2003, 08:47 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Steve,
I'll break it in your way, I think my mech. was reliving his old racing days
Tom
Old 12-03-2003, 12:02 PM
D
Instructor

Curious... when an engine is "broken in" outside the car on a stand is it run under varying loads and how?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:07 PM
RL Technical Advisor

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when we start a new engine & seat the rings on our engine dyno, the loads and RPM's vary widely for 8 hours before we do any power pulls.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 12-03-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
D
Instructor

So when breaking in an engine "in the car" is it best to accelerate gently for the first 500miles (ie equivalent of 8hrs at ~63mph)? And not overload the engine.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:57 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,

Do you install rings with a light coat of oil or dry ?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:46 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi David:

I always oil the rings with regular motor oil,.....never, ever dry,....

D:

I'm just nice to it during the first 500 miles and do not take the RPM over 4500. Above all, do not get it hot!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 AM
Howard
Racer

Steve,
Can you elaborate on the process of oiling the rings? On the first engine I rebuilt I oiled the cylinders and rings, (lightly) and the rings never actually seated. On the next engine I oiled the rings, on the thickness only, and seating was not a problem. So, on the 3rd engine I oiled the rings, cylinders dry, and just a drop on the piston skirts to aid in sliding the cylinders on, seating seems to be fine. Is this the correct method?
Thanks for your input !
Old 12-10-2003, 02:52 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Howard:

I oil the rings, wet the skirts a bit on assembly and leave the cylinders dry.

That's worked very well for over 35 years,.....

Quick Reply: Breaking in new "rebuilt" engine