Notices

quicker steering rack for 987?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default quicker steering rack for 987?

Posted this in 987 forum, received crickets chirping, figure there may be some valuable knowledge here

I just got my base 987.2 earlier this year, been streeting and tracking it and for the most part *love* it! But for me, the steering rack is too slow, and also has a nonlinear feel at around 45-60 degrees of steering wheel angle. I would LOVE to have a quicker linear steering rack. Is such available from Porsche or the aftermarket?
TIA
Old 08-25-2019, 12:30 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

First of all, I have no idea. Only suggestions.

If any 987 got a quicker rack it would have been the Interseries cars. I would ask the shops that did the original builds for the Interseries cars to see if they installed a quicker rack. I forget who built them - Napleton dealer organized most of it IIRC.

Does a 997 rack fit? (I don't know). Then you could look at the 997 GT3, GT3 Cup, GT3 R, and GT3 RSR models to see if they use a different rack. The rack ratio is a standard specification on production cars, you should be able to find it easily. To get the rack ratio on the Cup, R, and RSR you'd have to ask someone who knows or call Porsche Motorsport.

Its pretty rare that aftermarket racks (with a different ratio) are available for any car. Custom ratio racks are going to be pricey. Quaife does them, as do others.

The people who would know are the people who have dedicated track 987s!
Old 08-25-2019, 12:38 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I'll keep researchin...
So far not finding anything encouraging regarding quicker racks for any 9X7 cars, and seems like the old 9X6 linear racks were all around 17:1 anyway. Too, damn, slow...

Not even lying, this could be the difference between keeping the BRZ vs. keeping the Cayman.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:41 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A smaller steering wheel might be an easier solution, with similar effects.
As far as the BRZ, that was a cheap date for me. Fun for a bit, but not the one you marry.

Quick Reply: quicker steering rack for 987?