Sponsored by:

CURT Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CURT Hitch Install

For those interested I have posted pictures of the install of this third party tow hitch on my S.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great Michael.. how long did it take you?
Also what is the load rating for it?

Here is the direct link for everyone to see the pics..

Link to Hitch Install
Old 04-26-2004, 08:18 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Hi Kevin

It took me about 2 hours. Now I have done it once and know all the tricks to disassembly, I could probably do it in an hour, but thats half the time, especially the tail lights, there is a trick to that.

Mike
Old 04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Very impressive.. and idea what the towing load is rated at?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

The hitch is rated at 6000lbs, which is way more that enough for me.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Larry Womack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much?

Great photos and installation. What's the approximate cost? Where did you obtain the hitch?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I bought it from www.drophitch.com, it was about $125, plus shipping = $141.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you have any problems with the wiring. We are picking up an 08 on Sat.

I heard you had a nice aftermarket setup.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Did you have any problems with the wiring..

Does your inbound Cayenne have option 1D8? If not, you will have to install the factory tow bar control unit (or other aftermarket direct wiring....which in all likelyhood will set off a "!" Check Trailer Lights). A couple of members have installed the tow bar control unit (lots of trim panel removing in the cargo compartment....makes for a long day's work)

What are you planning on towing?
That will determine whether or not you need an electric brake controller. There appears to be an "issue" with the removal/repositioning of the factory 4 pin electric brake connector from under the dash to outside the vehicle on top of the roof, making installing a brake controller a bit more 'challenging'.

We are picking up an 08 on Sat.
I heard you had a nice aftermarket setup.
Congratulations. I believe you win the award for digging up one the oldest posts in the Cayenne forum.
Also, thank you for using the 'Search' function to dig up old information.
Those who lived (and died....RIP Larry) thru the alpha/beta days appreciate your effort.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

My 08 doesn't have anything with regards to a tow package as far as I can tell. It sounds like I will need to start from scratch.

We are going to tow the boat occasionally (3500 pounds), and maybe the jet ski or motorcycle once in a while.

If we were building it, I would have specified the tow kit for sure. However, we're getting one off the lot and it doesn't have it.

Sounds like buying the factory unit and having it installed at an independent shop may be the way to go with probably far less headaches. I am really surprised at a what a pain in the *** it is to put a trailer hitch on there.

Any idea what the hitch kit from the dealer costs? I know it's a $600 option from the factory. However, my dealer quoted me around $1800 installed. $2K for a trailer hitch seems like a lot of money, but that appears to be the going rate from the dealers.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The dealer install price is negotiable, especially on a new vehicle purchase, as the majority of the cost is labor.

May I ask why not just order the vehicle with the options you prefer, thus prompting your dealer to make the install on the inventory vehicle a better price. Cayennes are not endangered, so there is never an issue ordering one the way you want.

You can buy the parts from Sunset Imports (Porsche parts at cost + 15%)....highly reputable guys. TheTSB is quite detailed on how to install, ~12 pages or so IIRC and the indy would possibly have to use a PIWIS to code the control unit (if not already done at the Westfalia factory).

It is expensive simply due to the parts involved (mechanical tow receiver + the electronics control module).

Best of luck....this message will self destruct in 5 seconds..........
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

We didn't order it because we needed it right away. Long story.... Anyway, this one was perfect other than the lack of a hitch. It's about exactly as we would have ordered it. I think the only thing we would have added would have been that keyless gimmick and the crests in the headrests. And the hitch of course.

I can't really beat the dealer up too much on the hitch, as they gave us a smoking deal on the truck. This dealer has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I'm buying my cars from them from here on out.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

$1800 installed is a decent price. As Lewis alluded to, installation as a dealer option is a royal PITA. Go ahead - ask me how I know. In fact, I was the North American pioneer for the dealer install on the CD Changer in the Beta Cayennes AND an early adopter for the dealer install of the towing package. Good thing I love dark colored shirts.... the blood oozing during both install and the payment cycles blended in well!

Oh, and do not ask about upgrading to Bi-Xenons aftter manufacture. I will go over the edge and join Larry!

Toby
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

We didn't order it because we needed it right away. Long story.... Anyway, this one was perfect other than the lack of a hitch. It's about exactly as we would have ordered it. I think the only thing we would have added would have been that keyless gimmick and the crests in the headrests. And the hitch of course..
Fair enough, sounds reasonable.

I can't really beat the dealer up too much on the hitch, as they gave us a smoking deal on the truck. This dealer has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I'm buying my cars from them from here on out.
Just as an FYI in case you haven't seen the PAG financial #'s lately.....the dealers are being force fed Cayennes by PCNA, so they didn't give you a smokin' deal because they were feeling generous, they did so in order to not become innundated with Cayenne inventory.
PAG has somewhat overextended itself financially with the VAG stake, upgrades to Leipzig to build Panameras......right when Cayenne sales took a larger than expected dip.
So, the dealers will be forced to carry the burden by "accepting" higher than desired inventory (Cayennes specifically) and thus be 'forced' to supply 'smokin' deals....for their own good.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
$1800 installed is a decent price. As Lewis alluded to, installation as a dealer option is a royal PITA. Go ahead - ask me how I know. In fact, I was the North American pioneer for the dealer install on the CD Changer in the Beta Cayennes AND an early adopter for the dealer install of the towing package. Good thing I love dark colored shirts.... the blood oozing during both install and the payment cycles blended in well!
You deserve to be the first nominee into the Cayenne Alpha/Beta Survivor Memorial.......of course we're still trying to organize the official forum T-shirt, so groundbreaking on the memorial may be delayed.....

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Oh, and do not ask about upgrading to Bi-Xenons aftter manufacture. I will go over the edge and join Larry!
Toby
I didn't mention BiXenons. BTW, I'm pretty sure where Larry is.....he has plenty of company.

Quick Reply: CURT Hitch Install