Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to connect IPod to Cayenne?

Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 AM
thugn4reel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to connect IPod to Cayenne?

I just bought a new mini ipod, its really a great thing to have. I already filled it up with about 900 songs. I really want to listen to it in the car... so i went out and got the FM transmitter since we do njot have a tape player in the cayenne, however this thing sucks! All i can hear most of the time is static.... a complete waste of 40 dollars..... Just wanted to know if there is any way at all i can connect this thing to listen to in the car in good quality? Please anyone that has more information i would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by thugn4reel; 10-21-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:20 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael congrats on joining the iPod club.

You will need to fit a wired FM Modulator to the Cayenne to enable the Ipod to be played through the Bose.

www.kuda-phonebase.com for mounting parts

Antenna adapters from Circuit City (minature euro to full US)

My gallery has some pictures of the install on a PCMII fitted car, non PCMII is similar.

Works great, near CD quality, no interferance.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

I don't know if there are any for your particular head unit, but you can do better. In my Jeep and TA I was able to find devices that hook into the CD changer interface to give a nice clean RCA line in. These devices fool the head unit into thinking a CD changer is attached and will play your external device when you select the changer input.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with these particular head units can comment on availability of these devices.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a nutshell: http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...ode=IA_Porsche
Old 06-18-2004, 01:29 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

http://forums1.roadfly.org/porsche/f...5206259-1.html

Old 06-18-2004, 01:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thanks OZR.

People should research before speaking, please give us some credit. This aint no jeep. Everyone claims to have something but noone can deliver !
Old 06-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm glad people still care about real aux-in...

those bastards @ porsche and their crappy MOST bus...

of course that didn't stop me from ordering a 05 TT-S Cab... probably won't ever need the ipod in that beast.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Moogle

First of all we are dealing with a class car not a toy. Porsche are not bastards they are very smart people and the MOST bus is not crap its very good compared with previous effots in vehicles by any car manufacturer.

It would be nice to have the ability to plug into the system but its nothing to lose any sleep about.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:06 PM
thugn4reel
Track Day

Wow thanks alot guys, didnt have any idea about any of this stuff before.

I would love to do it.... but im also really scared.... is it hard taking of the PCMII ? I looks easy i the pictures... but i have an idea its going to be difficult withouth the right equipment. Is the removal of the unit hard or am i just paranoid?

Also once i have this installed.. does it interfere with the radio at all? can i still listen to normal fm and am station and also the ipod also... please forgive me if this is a very newbie question... i really dont understand how most of this stuff works.

Thanks for all the help,
Michael Ashikian
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

All you need is a dentist pick tool and a couple of torx bits. You can see the n shaped trim piece, use the pic tool to pull it out carefully. After thats its simple....no really it is.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally posted by mudman2
Thanks OZR.

People should research before speaking, please give us some credit. This aint no jeep. Everyone claims to have something but noone can deliver !
Sorry I tried to help. It sounds like the original poster didn't even know such devices exist. But obviously you are omniscient. Yet strangely enough, you suggested FM modulation.

Yeah, the Cayenne ain't no Jeep. Have fun jumping curbs and driving on lawns!

By the way Michael, here's how an FM modulator works.

Some of them actually broadcast a low power FM signal that any nearby radio can pick up. Avoid this kind.

Others, you plug your car antennae into the unit, and the lead from the unit into your radio. Everything works as normal with the modulator off. When you turn on your external device (iPod) the modulator will turn on and start broadcasting at a predetermined FM frequency. You tune your radio to that frequency, and you can listen to your external source.

FM modulation should only be used when there is no other option. Despite what mudman said, at best it is not "near CD quality". It is, by definition, FM radio quality. You are also likely to experience alternator whine and other interferences due to the nature of the beast; and last, if you live in an area where the radio dial is crowded, such as New York, it will be hard to find an open slot in the FM band that matches the limited choices the FM modulator will give you, if any. In that case your signal will be fighting a radio station already on that frequency, and/or you can suffer "bleed-over" from radio stations broadcasting at nearby frequencies.

Your best bet is to wait for a device that gives you RCA line-in, or wait for one of the SPDIF devices. The next problem is that iPods don't have SPDIF out.

But if you need a solution now, FM modulation is easy.

Last edited by Joe Anstett; 06-19-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:16 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's what happens when you don't switch out to your "Winter Tires" when driving a Cayenne

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyway to connect IPod to Cayenne?