Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy is it to change the oil in the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:27 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to change the oil in the Cayenne?

I have 20K miles and need to bring the Cayenne in for service. Was thinking of doing the oil change myself. Has anyone done their own oil change and is it fairly straighforward? I assume the bottom panel needs to be removed.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

There is a DIY either here or at renntech.org. Yes, the bottom panel needs to come off and there are TWO drain plugs. I haven't done it but plan on it before the first dealer service. I don't believe in going that long between oil changes. Don't think it will be as easy as the GT3 but at least they both use the same oil type!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:20 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

I'm gonna look into doing that myself also, I just took my car for the first oil change, Jesus Christ $350.00, ridiculous, I think that's a rip off.

Anyone know where to get some OEM oil filters ???

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:29 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

I've gotten some euro parts like clear corners, etc for both 911 and Cayenne from Suncoast Porsche, www.suncoastporsche.com, I' m sure they'll be glad to send you filters, etc...
Old 09-30-2004, 07:35 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC Cayenne
Anyone know where to get some OEM oil filters ???
The dealer? Don't forget two new oil drain plug gaskets.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:04 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ry_Code=POMIOF
Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's an oil change procedure that I lifted way back from one of the boards:

Yup. It requires 2 drain pans, an 8mm allen bit for the TWO drain plugs, and a filter-can wrench. I got my filter wrench at AutoZone; it's a type "B". I STRONGLY suggest you NOT try to remove the filter can with pliers, etc.

You'll need to remove the skid plate (yours may be plastic) and the next-rearward undertray. You'll need a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm hex driver; I use an electric drilldriver for these.

Eight (not 9) quarts of oil is plenty; I use M1 0W-40 and Porsche-brand filters.

Good luck. BTW, for this 1-hour effort you should save a couple-hundred dollars. And save your oil-and-filter-purchase receipts for possible warranty purposes.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:27 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The part number, on the link is: 99610722552, but when I purchased this at the dealership the part number was: 996-107-225-53 and the cost was $21.87.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:06 PM
cayenneman
Advanced

NY How many miles do you have? And how often is suggested?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:18 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by cayenneman
NY How many miles do you have? And how often is suggested?
I got 5200 k right now,
I have't read that part yet on the manual on how often should I change, but, the dealer sent me a letter that at 5.700 miles I was due for oil change.

I beleive that's pretty much correct, I'll change it even more often if is neccesary,., dealer NO WAY, 350 bux, that's rediculous.

John Gazivoda.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:53 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
Here's an oil change procedure that I lifted way back from one of the boards:

Yup. It requires 2 drain pans, an 8mm allen bit for the TWO drain plugs, and a filter-can wrench. I got my filter wrench at AutoZone; it's a type "B". I STRONGLY suggest you NOT try to remove the filter can with pliers, etc.

You'll need to remove the skid plate (yours may be plastic) and the next-rearward undertray. You'll need a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm hex driver; I use an electric drilldriver for these.

Eight (not 9) quarts of oil is plenty; I use M1 0W-40 and Porsche-brand filters.

Good luck. BTW, for this 1-hour effort you should save a couple-hundred dollars. And save your oil-and-filter-purchase receipts for possible warranty purposes.
Thanks! I've done the oil changes on my 996 so I already have most of the tools. Do I really need 2 oil drain pans? Can't I drain 1 plug at a time?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:28 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenLee
Thanks! I've done the oil changes on my 996 so I already have most of the tools. Do I really need 2 oil drain pans? Can't I drain 1 plug at a time?
I have 10K mi on mine after about 18 months of use, so I'm thinking of doing this myself. I would think you could use just one pan draining one at a time.

BTW, some of you guys are getting ripped off -- royal. I just received a price list from Stevens Creek Porsche (San Jose, CA) with the following specifically for the Cayenne:

Oil & Filter Change with Mobile 1, Filter, O-Ring: $118.88
2 Year / 20Kmi Service: $233.00
'S' 4Year / 40Kmi Service: $445.45
'Turbo' 4 Year / 40Kmi Service: $646.35
Brake Fluid Change (Every 2 Years): $99.95
Wheel Alignment: $144

They call this Reduced Maintenance Pricing for '03-04 Cayenne S & Turbo. It says, "We want to keep our Porsche customers coming back to our dealership for all their vehicle needs. By bringing your Porsche to Stevens Creek Porsche, you will guarantee that you receive genuine Porsche parts, approved lubricants, and expert care, all at value pricing. Each of the services includes a complimentary wash & vacuum. We also have Enterprise Rent-A-Car on site for your convenience."
Old 10-02-2004, 12:51 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by philg3
BTW, some of you guys are getting ripped off -- royal.
You are right, I found only two dealers resonable professional in NYC tri state area with about 15 dealerships...

...lazy cheating animals! ...they are attempting to keep monopoly...

...never had similar cheating situation with BMW dealer network in the area.

Last edited by ozr; 10-02-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
...never had similar cheating situation with BMW dealer network in the area.

No the local NJ BMW dealerships don't overcharge they just charge you for 6 oil changes and never actually replace the filter. That happened to me. When I sold the car I brought it to an independent and he showed me the filter that said original factory installed filter right on it.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:20 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
No the local NJ BMW dealerships don't overcharge they just charge you for 6 oil changes and never actually replace the filter. That happened to me. When I sold the car I brought it to an independent and he showed me the filter that said original factory installed filter right on it.
Good point -- you never know. Who knows if they actually use Mobil 1? That's why I do as much as I can myself, because I can vouch for my work. Similarly, I fired my gardener after he kept slacking off. Bottom line: If you want the work done right, do it yourself. There's always a bright side -- Aren't you glad some of these guys became car mechanics instead of aircraft mechanics or surgeons?

Quick Reply: How easy is it to change the oil in the Cayenne?