PHC Unavailable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PHC Unavailable?

Have '06 Tit.S which I took to dealer on Tuesday for 20K maintenance and warranty "rattles". When dropped off, I commented that "PHC Unavailable" comes on from time to time. I meant to look up the code in the manual but alas it was in the car and wondered aloud to service writer if related to 20K cabin filter or 20K service indicator, etc.. Searched threads and no info other than from droptop problem which claimed was related to MANUAL transmission (Porsche Hill Control? Porsche Drive Off Asst.?)

Go to pick up Tit.S on Wed. afternoon and service writer explains couldn't duplicate rattle in moon roof, hiss/rattle in speaker is due to "unauthorized CDC gadget" in the rear and that transient "PHC unavailable" was due to "iPod thingee" not liking the system and sending false signals. I declared "Bravo Sierra" but no techs available and turkey trip would be delayed. Pull out of dealer.. almost stall at stop sign and ENGINE light comes on (misfire). So, today, about to go pick up and decide to call (22 miles roundtrip) and service writer says misfire code cleared.. asked why did it misfire? no answer. also, tell him after thinking about it, I don't agree with PHC light from iPod.. system is exactly same input as CDC.. so figure it out and I'll bring loaner back on Monday.

So, thoughts on mObridge unit at CDC tripping codes and causing "PHC unavailable"?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aftermarket cdc = voided warrenty on anything hooked to the most bus, thats the dealer covering themselves, porsche would love to send a mystery shopper with aftermarket stuff and a problem and have the dealer ignore it and fix it anyway and submit the claim to warrenty.....

phc unavailabe, im going to go with probaly not related to the radio stuff , not definatly not but probaly not. I have seen it once and it was the strangest thing.........tiptronic cayenne, and it didnt store any faults.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
aftermarket cdc = voided warrenty on anything hooked to the most bus, thats the dealer covering themselves, porsche would love to send a mystery shopper with aftermarket stuff and a problem and have the dealer ignore it and fix it anyway and submit the claim to warrenty.....

phc unavailabe, im going to go with probaly not related to the radio stuff , not definatly not but probaly not. I have seen it once and it was the strangest thing.........tiptronic cayenne, and it didnt store any faults.
Yes, I figure they're saying non OEM equipment for CYA.... but we both know that MOST interface via the CDC connector and emulating the CDC is NOT the problem.. PHC appears to be a "glitch" then based on your experience.... Larry and I are "principle" guys.. I'll leave the legal aspects of refusing to service some other MOST component to the "if" it happens.. "if" it does, I will be the second guy to go to heaven and having to deny ever owning a "pig".... as principle is almost always ahead of $$$!!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, fellow forum member 'droptop' is the resident expert on PHC.....we should defer comment until he has a chance to visit his archival database....unless of course it's been burned.

IIRC2, PHC isn't mentioned in the Cayenne S/****/Turbo owner's manual.

If Larry (R.I.P. ) were here, I'm sure he'd be a bit skeptical regarding a correlation between PHC and the infotainment bus; their only common element is the MOST-CAN gateway.......but he's dead (R.I.P. ), so we'll never know for sure.

MadFox, would you like me to open the bar for you?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, fellow forum member 'droptop' is the resident expert on PHC.....we should defer comment until he has a chance to visit his archival database....unless of course it's been burned.

IIRC2, PHC isn't mentioned in the Cayenne S/****/Turbo owner's manual.

If Larry (R.I.P. ) were here, I'm sure he'd be a bit skeptical regarding a correlation between PHC and the infotainment bus; their only common element is the MOST-CAN gateway.......but he's dead (R.I.P. ), so we'll never know for sure.

MadFox, would you like me to open the bar for you?
Open the bar??? I "are" the bar! If the PCM craps out at 49,999 miles that'll be when I may need Larry to be resurrected for legal wrangling?!

Yes, saw the threads with Droptop.. but he never really said what it was besides that it should only be with manual transmissions... in fact, the dealer said there was no PHC failure (unavailable) code on a Cayenne

Pass the adult kool-aid please..............
Old 11-23-2007, 11:19 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to admit the phc car I had was baffeling, no faults in any control unit and we could never duplicate it in the shop. It was pretty shocking after 60+ miles of driving it low and behold PHC unavalable. scaned it before shutting it off and found a unrelated fault, that cleared when the car was shut off and would return intermitently. FWIW Im pretty confident there are no faults related to phc whatsoever

The most stuff, I dont trust any of them, for the amount i see with "extras" over 50% have something that doesntg work due to the "extras". I have gotten screamed at many times when explaing their new ipod link is why their radio freezes. How its not possible that the antenna splitter used for the link
could casue their radio to do that..................... untill I unplug the antenna splitter and the radio works fine in front of them.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brad is that the Stick Shift tranmission error
Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water....

well, lessee, havin de old "PHC Unavailable" error are we?

i have GOT to work on my Vincent Price laugh...

i had various excuses/explanations for the phc error. the one that made the most sense actually came from my regular mechanic, who does alot of porsche work, but doesn't work FOR porsche. he said he had seen a similar error in a Range Rover, when the system was flashed with the wrong firmware, and thought it had a manual (and active suspension).

the excuse that the porsche techrep had was that it had to do with a bug/feature in the annunciator system, that had since been fixed and that there was a technical bulletin out now and that it had been solved in the '06's anyway and wouldn't i like to give them one more chance.... as you could tell if he was lying by whether or not his lips were moving, i doubt any of that was true. since he was trying to weasel out of the second lemon law hearing i REALLY doubt that any of that was true.

mine started up when they flashed my transmission controller (at least thats what they said they did). i always suspected they may have flashed more than that. the techrep did say that the input line for that error wasn't used in the automatics, here again, his lips were moving....

i suppose it's possible that the "Ipod thingy" could have sent some garbage into the buss that found a backdoor into the system and changed a few configuration bits. i did notice mine seemed to be related to temperature, so i had already decided it had SOMETHING to do with an external sensor, probably on the transmission. OTOH, it wasn't long after that when the entire PCM system started failing.

BTW, my FX45 is still doing fine.....

Quick Reply: PHC Unavailable?