Sponsored by:

Tire chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire chains

We're heading to the Lake Tahoe area this year for Christmas in our 2008 Cayenne S, 275/45-19 tires, air suspension. The current (original) Continentals are getting near the end of their life at 24+K miles, so probably no good for snow use, and I have new Michelin Latitudes (M+S) on order and plan to have them installed before we head up to the mountains.

The Porsche wheel and tire TSB says to use a 3.5mm link chain on the rear, lists the Porsche chains, but they are many, many hundreds of dollars. I found one old post here to rudchain.com, but they said they don't have anything that will properly fit a Cayenne with 19" wheels. Both VW and Audi say not to use chains on 19" tires on their similar SUVs, so no chance there of finding less expensive equivalents. I haven't found anything with the small chain links, only cable chains and bigger links, including Thule.

What do people here do for snow driving in Cayennes with 19" tires? Carry cable chains on the off chance they are needed? Specific snow tires? Just use M+S rated tires without chains and they work just fine?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use snow flake 18's for snow. Are M & S types accepted by the CHP when chains are required?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I use snow flake 18's for snow. Are M & S types accepted by the CHP when chains are required?
Yes - M+S tires are recognized by the CHP as snow tires. See http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departme...ireschains.htm for details

My original Continentals are down to about 5/32" tread depth, but not quite to the wear bars. Americas Tire (same as Discount Tire everywhere else) figured I'd get another 1-5K miles out of them, and I expect to put another 2K on them in the next month. 25+K miles on Cayenne tires is pretty good wear from what I've heard, especially for lots of not-so-slow canyon driving, so no complaints in the wear department

What are snow flake 18s??
Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 06 S with same size tires. I plan on getting the Pirelli Ice & Snow when my summer tires (also conti) are worn out. Even though I live in Los Angeles and the Cayenne will only see snow few times a year. From the reviews I have read on the Pirelli Ice & Snow, I think it will be just fine for year round use. The problem I have with all season tires in the past is they can be still quite slippery without chains in the snow and I always ended up putting chains on.

I wasn't aware of Thule chains not clearing. Thanks for pointing that out. I was going to order it but I guess not anymore. Just get a set of cables and good enough for R2. Roads are usually closed before R3 anyways.

Lastly, beware of tirechains.com, I had problems with them in the past and they have zero customer service. As in you email them multiple times and no reply whatsoever. I have heard many good things about vulcantire.com so that's where I plan on ordering my chains from. But I am afraid it will be next year for me as my 06 only has 11k miles so far.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Geoff, the snowflake symbol is on the side of the tire with the M&S. I think the police look for the flake if they are checking for compliance when the white stuff is on the road.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Geoff, the snowflake symbol is on the side of the tire with the M&S. I think the police look for the flake if they are checking for compliance when the white stuff is on the road.
Not true. CHP/CalTrans are oblivious to the snowflake. They're checking to see if the tires are marked "M+S." If they are, they qualify as snow tires for R-1 level chain restrictions (Chains or snow tires required.) If you have them on all four wheels, which I assume you will do, and the car has 4wd or awd (of course it does) then you qualify for R-2 restrictions. (Chains required on all vehicles except 4wd with snow tires on all 4 wheels.) If conditions are R-3 (chains required - no exceptions) then you need chains. Period.

I live in SoCal, have skied in the Sierras for 38 years, was a ski instructor for 20 years. You will hardly ever see R-3 conditions. If you do, turn around and go home. Some bozo in a motor home will spin out and block the road and you'll be stuck for hours!

I haven't put chains on a car since I bought my first Audi Quattro in 1986.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant (the snow car)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just make sure you have them for the drive wheels.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Just make sure you have them for the drive wheels.

Funny pic to those of you that live in snow states but sadly it is a very common sight in SoCal mountains It is not even funny how many times I have been asked for help installing chains while doing mine or asked if they should put it front or back. I have seen it numerous times these yahoos that charge $40-$50 to put chains on putting them on the non-drive wheels as well.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Thanks Damon!!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

"Tires designated by the tire industry as suitable for use in severe snow conditions are marked with a mountain/snowflake emblem on the sidewall like this: "

This is from Oregon's webpage on traction tires, but the "snowflake" would not paste!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Get extra set of rims and snow tires and forego snow chains. Snow chains noisy and they can break off and cause all sorts of damage- been there done that. Mike
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in N. Idaho, we get a bit of snow up this way. I've never chained mine up, and given I don't own any car/truck chains it's unlikely I ever will. I just drive in the white stuff, never had a problem. I do have chains for my Bobcat skidsteer, I run a 72 inch snow blower on it and the chains come in useful in keeping our driveway and private road clear.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM
geoff w
Advanced

After checking with Rud Chain (sold through tirechains.com), it doesn't sound like they make anything that fits. (They sell the 3.5mm chains in the UK, but nothing listed on their US web site. Very pricy compared to cable chains) VulcanTire sells SCC cable chains which are supposed to work on vehicles with low clearance (class "S" restricted clearance). I never realized the Cayenne wheels were "low clearance"! The SCC Super Z6, part number SZ441 for $89, should work. That's what I'm planning to order this week.

Unfortunately, America's Tire store manager called over the weekend and said he's having a problem finding 4 new Michelin N-rated tires for me. Worst case is I drive up in the original Continental M+S tires and use the cable chains if needed.

Now I have to figure out what all those hub locking options do and when to use them!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

When are you going up? I would think heavy snow is up there by now so driving up with worn out tires is not a good idea. Even though you have all season, mine came with summer tires Do you have time to order from tirerack.com? I just checked and although they are also backordered on the Michelin you are looking for, they do have the Pirelli ice & snow, the new Conti DWS which is good for light snow, and the Conti all season which is probably what you have now.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I have extra set of 18's with pirelli snow and ice- awesome tire for heavy snow and considering it's a snow tire very quiet on the road I drove it thru the summer as well. I had all season tires michelins and in snow I was sliding down the hill hitting a snowbank to slow car down- scary. So got chains it tore out the abs sensors and air suspension/ traction control sensors- $1500 to replace : (. Mike

Quick Reply: Tire chains