Sponsored by:

PCCB ON NEW CAYENNE TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM
corniche
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB ON NEW CAYENNE TURBO

Hi guys, I'm speccing a new cayenne turbo and would like to know if anyone has some experience with PCCB ceramic brakes on Cayennes.
I would have thought it would be good to have ceramics on such a heavy vehicle. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
corniche
6th Gear

Default CERAMIC BRAKES

Anyone here with ceramic PCCB brake discs on a Cayenne? Any Cayenne Turbos S owners out there with ceramic disc experience?
I'm really tempted to go for PCCB but my Porsche dealer discourages me saying they're quite fragile, especially when a little stone gets stuck between the pad and the disc, you'll have to replace the disc at more than 3 times the price of a stell disc. But is it really that fragile as I heard a lot of comments from 911 drivers with PCCB putting a lot of miles on them, so who do you believe?
I think ceramics makes more sense on Cayenne than 911 because of the vehicle's weight, also ceramics on Cayenne models are cross drilled whereas the steel ones are just plain.
Had a Cayenne S previous gen and wasn't really impressed with the steel brakes so would like to try PCCB but it is an expensive option so I want to be sure before going for them.
I'm not really offroading just taking some dirt tracks from time to time so the chance of a stone getting stuck between pad and disc isn't really high!
Any experience or advice welcome!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to exercise extreme caution when changing a wheel with PCCB's.
If you hit the disc, it can fracture, since it is not designed to accept ANY side load like that.
It is generally recommended to use TWO wheel hanging bolts when installing wheels on PCCB vehicles.

As for the replacement cost, 3X the price of steel seems a bit low for a rotor.

PCCB, in theory, should produce near zero dust and have very little fade (the fluid will be the weakest link).

I'm surprised they made it to the Cayennes, but given VW's new orders to make $$, I'm not surprised.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I seem to recall a pic of someone's Turbo S on here that had PCCBs----I know, that doesn't help.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

If Porsche can put them on a Cayman then a CTTS should come STANDARD with them!!!
On the Bentley GT's they we like a $10k option.... the down side is that they are noisy when cold(sounds like running water) till you get a lil heat in them.. that was the biggest concern I ever saw... ZERO brake dust ( gotta keep them wheels clean and pretty) I would love to be able to fit them on my 04 CTT but with all the off-roading I do would not be smart.... Yes they are EXTREMELY FFRAGILE!!!! Even the oils from your skin can cause damage to the rotors!!! So GREAT idea for a street/track car that will not see snow or rain... Downside is that the Brake pads and rotors are VERY hard so "squeeling brake noises" will ALWAYS be present....and that is the nature of the BEAST!!!!
My .02

Carl
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Although I have no experience with PCCB, I opted to stay away from them simply because of cost reason. I also own a 996 GT3, on those, a pair of front rotors run about $8k parts alone. So to me, I find it ridiculous if my service advisor tells me one day "OK, your car is ready, it will be $10k for the front brakes.."

And you take your Cayenne on dirt road once in awhile which will undoubtley increase the chance of having pebbles/debris damaging those rotors... I wouldn't do it if I were you but that's just me. Maybe the ceramics on the Cayenne is much cheaper. Maybe you have no problem spending big bucks on brake jobs.

To the PCCB lovers out there, don't get me wrong, I have no doubt PCCB is better but for me, I stay away until they are reasonably priced in my book...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
corniche
6th Gear

Thank you to all of you who cared to reply.
I have just read a road test here in France comparing a Cayenne on steel brakes and one on ceramics and they definitely recommend the ceramics. They say the one with steel brakes felt spongy after some heavy braking while the ceramics were very impressive and gave you more confidence in the car with no fading whatsoever concluding that if you were still not a believer of ceramic brakes you should go and try a new Cayenne with PCCB. They are definitely a MUST HAVE option on a Cayenne because of the combination of performance and weight! Quote: Flat6 magazine this month!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
rombrigs
Intermediate

I have the PCCB's on my Panamera Turbo. The braking is EPIC in comparison to my Cayenne Turbo and 9974S with steel. It's like throwing a boat anchor out. The drool factor is also off the hook, I can't count the number of times I've found people bent over staring at the front rotors. -R
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

269,000 miles on my PCCB's in my 996 Turbo X50 - love them for street, track, snow, rain and whatever get's thrown in front of them. They are linear through all ranges and conditions of driving. Back in 2005 I was at a three day track event - mid day through day two I was on the back straight and hit around 175-180 - grabbed 4th at the 600 foot mark, third at the 250 mark and thresh hold braked the car for a quick right hander - took all the speed I needed off the car and snuck right into the turn - had the instructor gigglind like mad and his comment to me was "this is one of the most capable track cars I have ever been in".

That is my experience with them on the 996 Turbo. Everytime I drive our 2004 Cayenne Turbo (about 193,000 miles) or any other car I am continually amazed at how non linear the brakes can be - especially after successive hard uses.

I am thinking about putting the PCCB's on our Cayenne Turbo beacuse I like the pedal feel and the performance SO much better than the stock steelies. I would however like to try them out on a dealer car before committing to the expense.

You can never be too careful changing wheels with PCCB's so using two wheel hanging bolts is recommended.

Wanted to provide some feedback on real time use in my 996 Turbo for your consideration.

Good luck with the decision.

T2
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have PCCB on my Cayenne turbo S and they are the only way to stop a 6000lb vehicle with a trailer on a highway with no fear. I have searched for a Cayenne with ceramics for almost a year... No fade very precise, highly highly recomended.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

is that 269k on the same set of rotors???
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

I have a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S with PCCB's. We can debate the appropriateness of PCCB 's on a Cayenne but if the cost isn't a factor there are two huge benefits to getting them. 1) Unsprung weight which results in very much improved accelleration, braking and handling- I've ran back to back multiple runs vs a Cayenne TTS with steels and there IS enough of a weight disparity to notice a performance difference. 2) Very light brake dust- my business partner purchased an 09' TTS with steels. Night and day difference and the steels dust like a ****. I sat in a 2011 Cayenne Turbo today and its slowly growing on me- im a 993 guy but I cant write that off so i gotta do what I gotta do.
Anyone know if the PCCB's are an option on the 2011 Cayenne Turbo ? They weren't in the Porsche configurator as an option when I built one tonight.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
corniche
6th Gear

Thanks for your response guys. I can confirm they are available as an option on all Cayenne models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels or larger for the Cayenne Turbo (bigger discs) and with 19-inch wheels or larger for all other Cayenne models.
When I used the configurator for France (and the UK one too), you could specify the PCCB and the colour of the calipers changed from red to yellow when ticking the box.
How many miles have you got on your Cayenne Turbo S? Do you change the brake pads more often? I've heard you should change the pads at 50%. Any squealing noise?
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Considering how heavy these Cayenne are and how fast the steel rotors last. I'd be worried.
After 4 years of ownership a rotor replacement will cost more then what the car is worth.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM
corniche
6th Gear

Does anyone know when the next Cayenne Turbo S is coming and do you think it will have the PCCB carbon ceramic brakes as standard?

Quick Reply: PCCB ON NEW CAYENNE TURBO