Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A rare word of praise for the cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A rare word of praise for the cayenne.

Last Thursday my new to me 08 GTS quite literally saved my life. After 6 years and 100K my 04cs was replaced by the GTS. While on my way to the Doctors last Thursday I had the unfortunate experience of falling asleep at the wheel while presumably traveling at freeway speed.

I have no recollection of the actual accident but the resultant evidence was that I left the highway and drove headlong into the end of a guard rail, consequently flew some considerable distance before landing upright on the outside of the rail on the 3 remaining wheels. The other wheel and a considerable assemblage of the driver side front remained at the original point of impact.

The car I am certain is destroyed but here is the point - despite the apparent carnage I walked away completely unscathed. Not a scratch, not a bruise, not a sore bone.

The air bags on the drivers side deployed and as I say the impact was pretty much head on into the drivers side front but there appeared to be no intrusion into the passenger cabin, no glass broke and all 4 doors still opened.

The next day I was feeling well enough to journey to Mont Tremblant and today I am driving in a DE.

I guess I don't have to say that the replacement car will be another Cayenne.

And just for the record this is the only accident I have ever had in 37 years of driving including considerable time on various race tracks so before anyone feels it necessary to remind me how stupid it is fall asleep while driving. Take it as a given that I already feel stupid enough.

The sole purpose of this post is to praise the incredible strength and integral safety that those of lucky enough to drive a Cayenne probably take for granted.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad to hear you are safe.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Did this happen in San Antonio? If so, where?

Glad to see you are safe and sound. The car did its function.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
jittsl
Racer

Hey Scott,
On the I10 north of the 1604
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Glad to hear you are ok. Very unfortunate circumstance, but you're lucky to walk away from something like that with no injuries.

You say you drove into the end of a rail? Did it look something like this?

or was it concrete?

Driver fatigue can happen to anyone. I think anyone would be lying if they said they've never slightly dozed off behind the wheel after a long day at work or a long trip. Your post is kind of an alert/reminder to me anyway, as I'll be taking my new to me 08 CS on a 3200 mile trip this next week.

Last edited by 00Jay; 07-12-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
jittsl
Racer

It was steel but fortunately it had a sloped down end rather than a square end. I am sure that was why the car flew so far but I think I would rather that than stop dead. Take it easy on your trip.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you are ok, the Cayenne does feel like a tank!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Yikes! I-10 can get up to some heady speeds. Glad you are OK.

Were you distracted by all the rides at Fiesta Texas?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, glad you are OK!! There have been a few posts like this in the past where people walked away from accidents that might have been fatal in cars with less structural integrity.

And I remember the story from (I think it was the first) Trans-Siberia Rally where the Cayenne was going flat out up a hill and when they reached the crest there was a cliff on the other side - the car did several end over end flips and the driver and navigator walked away. They had pics in Christophorus magazine showing how much stuff came off the car but the people inside were fine (granted, there WAS a roll cage installed.)

Enjoy Mont Tremblant, and stay safe!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Glad you are not injured. Good to hear the Cayenne is solid in an impact like that.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Cayenne Gods were definitely watching over you my friend! Glad to see that you walked away from the incident.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Glad you are OK.

One more reason why these Cayennes are the best all-around vehicle on the planet. They can do it all..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool Cayenne

Laurie,

I'm glad to hear that you are alright. I too have dozed off briefly (fortunately) behind the wheel (terrible feeling). The Cayenne is a great vehicle (you are literally inside a cage surrounded by three layers of hardened steel. The crump zones are sophisticated allowing the engine to drop down. Steel side door beams are also in place to prevent intrusions and the multiple air bags which include side head and torso protection (newer models) are cutting edge / life saving.

Lets face it you get what you pay for and with Porsche's extensive racing experience they have developed the highest level of safety devices for all of their vehicles!

My 2004 Cayenne S has saved me from many difficult situations while driving in the snow & ice (with my 18 " Pirelli Scorpions on). I love this vehicle and hate when people on here start making such moranic remarks (I'm sure they would think twice after your unfortunate experience).

Good Luck and Take care!

Last edited by ljugete; 07-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
jittsl
Racer

Thanks frank,
I also have always found it a little odd to read this forum. Apart from my recent very positive experience I having nothing but rave reviews for my previous 04 Cayenne CS which I drove for 6 years and 100k (often with a trailer attached). That car literally never so much as blew a bulb or a fuse. And the only time it saw a dealer was for an annual service.

I am not suggesting that the many listed possible failures with these vehicles do not exist I am only suggesting that maybe, because those who have no problem have nothing to say, that this forum ( taken on it's own) might lead to the wrong overall impression.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to see my Pops today, and then we're driving 500 miles to see my brother. Rain, long drive, and even at 76 years of age, he will demand to do his share of driving. Yup, it's the Cayenne.

Glad to hear you're OK.

Quick Reply: A rare word of praise for the cayenne.