Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the part is about 45 bucks from sunset imports, takes about an hour
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
agustin guevara
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayenne s oil pump problems

Take note, Porsche has a campaign recalling for damges in the oil pump`s for the Cayenne S. The campaign code is NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER 08V076000.
You can go to a official dealer and make a claim an ask for a free change of the system. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by agustin guevara
Take note, Porsche has a campaign recalling for damges in the oil pump`s for the Cayenne S. The campaign code is NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER 08V076000.
You can go to a official dealer and make a claim an ask for a free change of the system. Good luck.
Actually - not. That campaign is for the '08 V6 Cayenne, and it has to do with a fuel line routing. It has nothing to do with the oil pump (singular..) 2 minutes searching on the NHTSA website turns up that info.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by mudman2
the part is about 45 bucks from sunset imports, takes about an hour
Michael, any details would be a wonderful thing since: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...o-do-next.html - see my last posting.

TIA!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - for those not following my thread on balky starting - it's dead simple to test the fuel pressure. You need a $25 kit from Harbor Freight (or the same sort of kit from other vendors for 2-5x the price), and it takes about 5 minutes. You'll need one flat-blade screwdriver, a small needle nose for removing some fuses and the fuel gauge kit.

Steps involved:

- Depressurize the system by pulling fuses 13 & 14 in the fusebox under the hood (do NOT drop these down into the fusebox.. PITA to retrieve..) then cranking the engine over (if it starts let it die..)

- Connect gauge

- Reinstall fuses

- Start truck - check gauge reading. Should be 4 Bar.

- Unplug fuse #13 - truck should keep running, pressure shouldn't change

- Plug fuse #13 back in

- Unplug fuse #14 - truck may stall and pressure may drop to zero.

- Restart truck - (with fuse 14 still out) - truck should restart and pressure should be 4 Bar.

Both pumps were now checked. The fuse/shutdown may be the opposite depending on the fuel level in your fuel tank (they automatically shut down the pump in the half of the tank with lower fuel level.) As long as it will run (it may need to be restarted) with only one pump at a time connected (via the fuse) - your pumps are both working.

You can also check bleed-down pressure - this is how much the system pressure drops after turning the ignition off. The system is supposed to stay at 3-Bar for at least 10 minutes. Mine fails this miserably, meaning I probably have a bad checkvalve. Hence my question to Michael.. If it's only $40, it's not worth me dicking around with warranty and the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
RAdkins (01-25-2024)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM
fishthis10
7th Gear

My 04 with 70K miles was stalling. It ended up being the camshaft position sensor.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
bojan1100
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CayenneKid
this is the post your talking about?
(I would say it is probably the left side fuel pump. The symptoms match. A good way to verify is to pull the relay for the left side pump, if the car runs and does not die, then you have confirmed that the left side pump is bad. The fuel filter is a "lifetime" fuel filter as per porsche. If you want to replace it, it is integral to the right side fuel tank hat, both hats will have to be removed to R&R the left side pump. If it is not the pump, I have seen faulty MAF sensors cause a similar symptom.)

thanks man
you guys are the best!

ima check 2marrow morning to see if its the fuel pump or the MAF SENSORS since the sun went down over here already....

also i was told that this program is pretty good "Durametric Diagnostic" what do u guys think i want to get the "Enthusiast Package" at $287 thats not a bad price.

Hi,

I am new on this forum and I need help. my 2006 cayenne S is starting normaly, but during the drive when it is in 4,5 or 6 gear and on low speed and low RPM when I wish to aclerate engine goes out of idle. If there is around 1300 RPM until 2000 RPM engine stall, and if I put manualy a gear down so that RPM goes above 2000 RPM everything goes normally. Also engine light is on and consuption is higher.

When engine was runing in neutral I have unpluged the reley for left fuel pump but the engine did not die.

I have changed the fuel filter 10 days ago, and spark plugs one month ago, but it looks like that this is not the problem. I do not wish to change everything so any help would be preciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by bojan1100
Hi,

I am new on this forum and I need help. my 2006 cayenne S is starting normaly, but during the drive when it is in 4,5 or 6 gear and on low speed and low RPM when I wish to aclerate engine goes out of idle. If there is around 1300 RPM until 2000 RPM engine stall, and if I put manualy a gear down so that RPM goes above 2000 RPM everything goes normally. Also engine light is on and consuption is higher.

When engine was runing in neutral I have unpluged the reley for left fuel pump but the engine did not die.

I have changed the fuel filter 10 days ago, and spark plugs one month ago, but it looks like that this is not the problem. I do not wish to change everything so any help would be preciated.

Thanks,
It would be most useful if you have the codes read (if the CEL is on - there are codes stored..) That would give people a running start at guessing what your problem really is.

Your relay test is inconclusive - all that tells you is that it wasn't running on the left side pump. And it's MUCH easier to pull the fuses then the relays (and the effect is exactly the same.)

I'd suggest pulling each fuse in sequence - and if the engine doesn't die - then stop the engine and see if it restarts.

And get the stored codes read.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

sounds like coils, see the pinned thread
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
bojan1100
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It would be most useful if you have the codes read (if the CEL is on - there are codes stored..) That would give people a running start at guessing what your problem really is.

Your relay test is inconclusive - all that tells you is that it wasn't running on the left side pump. And it's MUCH easier to pull the fuses then the relays (and the effect is exactly the same.)

I'd suggest pulling each fuse in sequence - and if the engine doesn't die - then stop the engine and see if it restarts.

And get the stored codes read.
I changed the ignition coils, spark plugs and MAF sensors and now there are following codes: P1133, P2179, P1126 and P2177. Today I also noticed that when filling the fuel tank, that fuel gauge it is not showing that fuel tank is full. It shows only 3/4. I pulled my booth fuel pumps out to change fuel filter couple of days ago and maybe there is a problem. Now also when the fuel tank is full car starts normally, but it goes out of idle (bellow 600rpm), but when the tank is almost empty there is no problems and it works normally.

I also noticed that sometimes during the drive when I wish to acclerate or make a passing after accleration throtle waits for couple of seconds and then begins to acclerate with full power.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Fred Cooke
1st Gear

Default A stalled Cayenne.

I just recently joined the ranks as a Porsche owner. I bought an 04 Cayenne S with 21K miles on it.
Last night the car started to stall. I start the engine and about 10 seconds in it shuts off.
I read many post including this one and took a few suggestions.

- Removed the MAF sensor to attempt to change modes.
- I used both hands to pump air pressure into the filter and the car maintained pressure and stay on until I stopped pumping. It then shut off.
- I then replaced the MAF sensors and am still getting same results.

I read that I should remove the fuel pump relay to test the drivers side pump.

Any other suggestions if that doesn't work.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

there are 2 pumps, if one has gone then you can see such issues. Try pulling the fuses for each pump independently to see which one may be causing the problem
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
moham ad
Track Day

helloo i have cayeanne 2009
problem apears when i drive long time about 2 hour it turn off by itself
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
moham ad
Track Day

technicians said you pomp feul are weak but they dont know which side
i changed feul filter bud the i still have the problem
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by moham ad

technicians said you pomp feul are weak but they dont know which side
i changed feul filter bud the i still have the problem
Hellooooo moham..

What conditions does it turn itself off under? Cruising down the road, stopped at a light?

As far as testing the pumps - this can be done with an inexpensive fuel-pressure gauge. You can isolate each pump by removing the other pumps fuse - which should tell you if one is weak. Somehow "weak" to me seems unlikely - these are the sort of pumps that should work or not work, unless the tank has been run dry numerous times.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?