Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Dead Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ditto that, had a hard head buddy buy a 71 bronco on Ebay, towed it from new orleans to dallas the entire way with the trailer nose dived because he refuse to balance the rig on the trailer......he wanted it strapped a certain way. 2 of the 4 10k straps broke because of the constant nudging motion the trailer created....

Tranny burned out next day on daily commute to work.........luckily he wasnt nekkid........city slicker.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
MBailey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! This turned out to be nothing major. Relay 13 was bad. A $30 part...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Warning: This post may be considered long for some readers. In addition, it may contain offensive language that may not be suitable for others. Please bear with me while I vent...

My biggest fear came true last Saturday morning when my beloved GTS decided to turn on me; the bitch that she is.

It all started with the turn of the key followed by her flashing me every single instrument warning light residing in the cluster. The shifter was locked into park and the multi-function display advised me of a faulty ignition lock / ride level control failure and a dynamic cornering lamp failure; all at random intervals that seemed to be synchronized to an old East German town clock somewhere in the historical town of Leipzig.

If that wasn't enough, the climate control system was dead as was the rear wiper, rear power tailgate, electric seat operation and the power-assisted steering. Oh, did I mention the constant beeping and other annoying sounds emanating from the cluster's innards? I wasn't sure whether I should call the Porsche dealer or better yet, find a Greek priest who makes house calls to perform a German exorcism.

Sure enough, Monday morning at 8:00 a.m., I called Porsche Roadside Assistance and hence the saga commenced. The nice lady's first question to me was, "Are you safely pulled over and parked away from any danger?". Since the GTS was parked in my driveway, was she perhaps referring to the possibility that I may have been sitting in the Devil's lair and doing 360's with my head? Long story short with a 1/2-dozen phone calls made to 1-800-PORSCHE, and after a 5-hour wait the tow service never showed. Had I really been stranded on the side of a road in sub-zero temps, they would have needed CSI to thaw me out to identify the body. Finally, I called my own tow service and they showed up within a 1/2 hour. Incidentally, my cell phone battery was dying (Murphy's Law) and the 12V socket was inoperative. Do I seem frustrated yet?

I ride shotgun with the polite yet offensively odor-laden flatbed operator straight to the Porsche dealer. BTW, somebody should introduce these guys to some industrial-strength deodorant. He had his take on German cars however, he told me how he preferred the Japanese type since they were more reliable. He also told me that he drove a Honda. This was definitely NOT the time to argue with this man and discuss fine German engineering.

After consulting the owner's manual on how to learn German Engineering in 5 minutes by using a special provided tool to unscrew a retaining clip which holds down the console fascia which then reveals a red tab which has to be manipulated (thru a foam insulator) in a certain fashion so that the shifter lock gets overridden. I guess using a simple pencil thru a small portal on the shifter housing (as is the case with 95% of all the other vehicle mfrs) would have seemed too simple a design for the Swabian Engineers.

Long story short, I picked up my GTS this afternoon and all the evil spirits are gone...for now. Basically, the service advisor knew right away what the culprit was as soon as I mentioned the flashing lights. It seems that since M.Y. 2003, PAG has been fully aware of an issue with water getting into the electrical harness connectors that run below the driver and passenger footwells. (PAG TSB No.10/05 ENU 6005 titled 'Electric Malfunctions Due To Water Leaking Into The Vehicle Interior'). The procedure calls for the partial removal of the carpet on both driver/passenger footwells to expose the corroded harness connectors. The connectors are cleaned and somewhat sealed in a field-fabricated sheath. Then, they're somewhat partially relocated to a drier area within both footwells. What a great idea! A 7-year production run and you'd figure that one of their engineers would have developed a modification to the harness after discovering the problem back in 2006!!

This TSB affects ALL Gen 1 & Gen 2 Cayennes from 2003 to 2010 inclusively. If you experience any and/or all of the above symptoms, this may apply to you. BTW, the TSB refers to a possible sunroof drain line blockage however anytime the carpet risks getting wet, so do the electrical connectors. This includes snow and slush for those of us that live in the nasty northern climes.

The TSB is available from Renntech as a PDF download to all contributing members.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Andy,

Just got the exact same issue with my Turbo 2008 this morning. Called the dealer who said to call Porsche RoadSide Assistance. I told them right away that the way the car was parked, they would not be able to tow it, unless we can get the car out of park (which we could not). They said, no the tow truck will do what they need to do to get the car to the dealer. Called assistance, tow truck gets here, and no the driver said we have to get a technician in to unlock the shifter ! Dealer said they cannot get a tech here today, so tonite the car is still in my driveway, in front of my garage preventing me to get my other car out !!! This is rotten service !! I am in Quebec City, so you can easily figure out who the dealer is...

Also totally agree that Porsche should have solved this issue a long time ago. This is not difficult to correct directly at the plant !!

I will check the TSB and maybe I will drive the car in the dealership to show them how incompetent they are !!

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Warning: This post may be considered long for some readers. In addition, it may contain offensive language that may not be suitable for others. Please bear with me while I vent...

My biggest fear came true last Saturday morning when my beloved GTS decided to turn on me; the bitch that she is.

It all started with the turn of the key followed by her flashing me every single instrument warning light residing in the cluster. The shifter was locked into park and the multi-function display advised me of a faulty ignition lock / ride level control failure and a dynamic cornering lamp failure; all at random intervals that seemed to be synchronized to an old East German town clock somewhere in the historical town of Leipzig.

If that wasn't enough, the climate control system was dead as was the rear wiper, rear power tailgate, electric seat operation and the power-assisted steering. Oh, did I mention the constant beeping and other annoying sounds emanating from the cluster's innards? I wasn't sure whether I should call the Porsche dealer or better yet, find a Greek priest who makes house calls to perform a German exorcism.

Sure enough, Monday morning at 8:00 a.m., I called Porsche Roadside Assistance and hence the saga commenced. The nice lady's first question to me was, "Are you safely pulled over and parked away from any danger?". Since the GTS was parked in my driveway, was she perhaps referring to the possibility that I may have been sitting in the Devil's lair and doing 360's with my head? Long story short with a 1/2-dozen phone calls made to 1-800-PORSCHE, and after a 5-hour wait the tow service never showed. Had I really been stranded on the side of a road in sub-zero temps, they would have needed CSI to thaw me out to identify the body. Finally, I called my own tow service and they showed up within a 1/2 hour. Incidentally, my cell phone battery was dying (Murphy's Law) and the 12V socket was inoperative. Do I seem frustrated yet?

I ride shotgun with the polite yet offensively odor-laden flatbed operator straight to the Porsche dealer. BTW, somebody should introduce these guys to some industrial-strength deodorant. He had his take on German cars however, he told me how he preferred the Japanese type since they were more reliable. He also told me that he drove a Honda. This was definitely NOT the time to argue with this man and discuss fine German engineering.

After consulting the owner's manual on how to learn German Engineering in 5 minutes by using a special provided tool to unscrew a retaining clip which holds down the console fascia which then reveals a red tab which has to be manipulated (thru a foam insulator) in a certain fashion so that the shifter lock gets overridden. I guess using a simple pencil thru a small portal on the shifter housing (as is the case with 95% of all the other vehicle mfrs) would have seemed too simple a design for the Swabian Engineers.

Long story short, I picked up my GTS this afternoon and all the evil spirits are gone...for now. Basically, the service advisor knew right away what the culprit was as soon as I mentioned the flashing lights. It seems that since M.Y. 2003, PAG has been fully aware of an issue with water getting into the electrical harness connectors that run below the driver and passenger footwells. (PAG TSB No.10/05 ENU 6005 titled 'Electric Malfunctions Due To Water Leaking Into The Vehicle Interior'). The procedure calls for the partial removal of the carpet on both driver/passenger footwells to expose the corroded harness connectors. The connectors are cleaned and somewhat sealed in a field-fabricated sheath. Then, they're somewhat partially relocated to a drier area within both footwells. What a great idea! A 7-year production run and you'd figure that one of their engineers would have developed a modification to the harness after discovering the problem back in 2006!!

This TSB affects ALL Gen 1 & Gen 2 Cayennes from 2003 to 2010 inclusively. If you experience any and/or all of the above symptoms, this may apply to you. BTW, the TSB refers to a possible sunroof drain line blockage however anytime the carpet risks getting wet, so do the electrical connectors. This includes snow and slush for those of us that live in the nasty northern climes.

The TSB is available from Renntech as a PDF download to all contributing members.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aigle836
Also totally agree that Porsche should have solved this issue a long time ago. This is not difficult to correct directly at the plant !!

I will check the TSB and maybe I will drive the car in the dealership to show them how incompetent they are !!
Eagle, I understand your frustration however the dealer can't really be blamed for PAG's complicating the design for unlocking the shifter. The procedure to do this is on page 202 in the owner's manual. Porsche roadside assistance should train their operators so that this should never happen. If you decide to do this on your own, be patient as this procedure may seem frustrating the first time around.

Unlocking the shifter will allow you to drive the vehicle in a 'limp-home' mode. This means that only 1-forward gear (usually 2nd or 3rd gear) and reverse will operate. This also means that you cannot drive to the dealer if you need to drive on the highway.

Unfortunately, the dealer will always be blamed for problems associated with the original design and/or engineering of the vehicle as well as something as simple and mundane as the firm that they choose to provide their North American roadside assistance program. I'm not saying that dealers are perfect; only that they are running a business for profit like any other business.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the last advice,

you should be able to remove the cup holder etc and then release the shifter......

Its even on Rennlist.

Ownership can be a bipolar relationship, it will get better despite the inconviences........my first flip out came at 12k miles and I thought brakes would be 300 bucks .....
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Lewis, shall we talk about trailer wiring or are you in a good mood today?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Andy,

My frustration with the dealer is this: 2 weeks ago I brought it in because the battery was on it's last leg. At -20 C it was touch and go to crank it to start. They tested it, meaning putting it on the charge twice during the day and it still fail the test. Then decided to put it on the "big" charger. Then it pass the test. Next morning, I get a check engine light. I got my Durametric, and I had codes all over the place... Almost every modules... Not good. Did not do anything and got it in again to the dealer. Got it back 2 days latter. I am out of the country most of the following week. A couple of days after, I got this issue... I am worried they did quite a job on the electronics with the "big" charger... Anyways, it's been 2 days now, and no word from them...

I certainly could have gotten the car out of gear myself, but I did not have the time, I did not want to touch it (just in case) and I felt that it is up to them to come through with shinning color..

If it had been out of warranty I would have dealt with it myself. And the first thing would have been a new battery immediately the first time !

Eagle, I understand your frustration however the dealer can't really be blamed for PAG's complicating the design for unlocking the shifter. The procedure to do this is on page 202 in the owner's manual. Porsche roadside assistance should train their operators so that this should never happen. If you decide to do this on your own, be patient as this procedure may seem frustrating the first time around.

Unlocking the shifter will allow you to drive the vehicle in a 'limp-home' mode. This means that only 1-forward gear (usually 2nd or 3rd gear) and reverse will operate. This also means that you cannot drive to the dealer if you need to drive on the highway.

Unfortunately, the dealer will always be blamed for problems associated with the original design and/or engineering of the vehicle as well as something as simple and mundane as the firm that they choose to provide their North American roadside assistance program. I'm not saying that dealers are perfect; only that they are running a business for profit like any other business.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aigle836
Hello Andy,

My frustration with the dealer is this: 2 weeks ago I brought it in because the battery was on it's last leg. At -20 C it was touch and go to crank it to start. They tested it, meaning putting it on the charge twice during the day and it still fail the test. Then decided to put it on the "big" charger. Then it pass the test. Next morning, I get a check engine light. I got my Durametric, and I had codes all over the place... Almost every modules... Not good. Did not do anything and got it in again to the dealer. Got it back 2 days latter. I am out of the country most of the following week. A couple of days after, I got this issue... I am worried they did quite a job on the electronics with the "big" charger... Anyways, it's been 2 days now, and no word from them...

I certainly could have gotten the car out of gear myself, but I did not have the time, I did not want to touch it (just in case) and I felt that it is up to them to come through with shinning color..

If it had been out of warranty I would have dealt with it myself. And the first thing would have been a new battery immediately the first time !
It's reached a point that some dealers are ready to point a finger at you if you even 'looked' at your car in a wrong fashion while trying to start it. I flat out told my service advisor that I charged the battery a week prior because I found that it was sluggish when starting. I wasn't worried only because I followed the protocol as outlined in the manual and a week passed without incident. The battery definitely needed the charging after a very cold snap here in Montreal and full operation of the seat/steering wheel heaters along with rear window defroster, heater blower and daytime running lights; mostly at idle and in traffic.

I can sympathize with you on your frustration with the dealer.
Have you spoken to the service manager yet? If that doesn't work out, maybe you should call the PCC district service supervisor?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Lewis, shall we talk about trailer wiring or are you in a good mood today?
I love trailer wiring, why would you think otherwise?
It's not very complicated, after all, how badly could an OEM possibly screw something up that's been on the back of trucks for decades?

P.S. Larry offered, pro bono, to fly to Germany and help with the (re)design. They declined, and the rest is (allegedly) legal history, locked away, along with Larry's corpse.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I love trailer wiring, why would you think otherwise?
It's not very complicated, after all, how badly could an OEM possibly screw something up that's been on the back of trucks for decades?

P.S. Larry offered, pro bono, to fly to Germany and help with the (re)design. They declined, and the rest is (allegedly) legal history, locked away, along with Larry's corpse.

That explains quite a bit.
May he rest in peace.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Anyone had this resolved out of a Porsche Stelarship?

I got the message yesterday, and my CTT is now a nice decoration in front of my neighbor's house.

There is only 1 Porsche dealer in Costa Rica, and they are saying that because I didn't buy the car from them, they will not service it. Any insight on what to do?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't seem right to me, have you tried contacting Porsche Latin America?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM
GoonBug
8th Gear

Check to see if you brake lights come on when you press the pedal. If not, your brake light switch is bad. The only other thing is that you have a short somewhere in you electrical system causing everything to go haywire. Check to make sure you have good connections at both ends of the battery cable. It's possible the positive lead at the starter is loose and grounding out, or not making a complete connection. Check also the ground wire to be sure it's making a proper connection. Sounds like something simple but hard to find where. One other thing I have heard of is people using tasers to disable alarm systems by tazing the car and overloading the capacitors in the electronics. Sometime this causes permanent damage in multiple systems in the car. The common way for a thief to steal a high end car is to disable the electronics and push the car to a safe place to pick it up with a tow truck. On-star and lo-jack don't work when this happens since they are typically wired in the cars power system even if they have a back up battery.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Dead Need Help!