Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne emergency bonnet release...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Dax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cayenne emergency bonnet release...?

Hi,

I am a new member to the forum and of course my first post is a problem...

Sorry, but I really could do with some help....

IS THERE AN EMERGENCY BONNET RELEASE ON MY 2005 CAYENNE

I checked the Oil level on my Cayenne S last night, as it was just above the minimum level, I went in to the garage to buy the correct oil and they did not stock it...

So I closed the bonnet, and drove to a Costco where I purchased Mobil 1 0W-40, went to open the bonnet, and it would not release....

The ratchet on the handle has broken all it's teeth, so I drove to a Porsche Dealership this morning, they tried attaching a handle from another Cayenne and pulled but it still would not release. They could not have a look at it further,but, advised me that I'd be fine to drive the car as I haven't had any Oil Level Warning light, and so I booked the car in for this coming Thursday....

However, as I am on holiday this week, I drove the car to my holiday destination, and 1 mile from reaching it, the "Check Oil Level" light came on....

Another mechanic, managed to get to the normal release cable, but even pulling the cable with pliers it would not release the bonnet....

Is there an emergency release cable on the Cayenne and if so where is it...?

I now don't want to drive the car and I'm 100 miles away from a Porsche dealership, which in any case won't be open until Monday, and it's currently 4pm on Saturday....

Thanks in anticipation, and sorry for long-winded first post etc. but I'm desperate.....
Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On a LHD vehicle and according to the PET, there is an emergency release cable forward of the engine firewall (Item 17 on the enclosed photo). This may or may not be accessible thru the front-left wheel housing by removing the wheel and then the plastic liner within to access the cable.

I've heard of several people accessing the hood release mechanism thru the front grille opening however the removal of the grille(s) is lengthy; according to the service manual.

Before trying anything else, have someone put moderate downwards pressure on the front leading edge of the hood (bonnet) while somebody else works the release mechanism or cable end using a pair of vise-grips or pliers.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
egr58
Intermediate

Happened to me a few months back - the ball and socket pull apart / separate. Access via the driver's wheel well liner - remove tire, remove wheel housing liner, put the ball and socket back together (use a plastic wire tie to secure and prevent future re-occurrence), and reassemble. 30 to 40 minutes start to finish.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Dax
Intermediate

Thanks guys for your help....

My car is a RHD model as I live in the UK, do you think the cable will be in the same place....?

ie. Is it the left hand wheel well when looking at the car from the front of the car....?

And do you think this is an easy DIY fix, or should I get someone with some technical knowledge to do it...?

I don't want to mess things up....

My only other option is to have the car trailered to a Porsche Dealer, I don't want to drive the car with any potential of engine damage being caused due to the Oil Level warning....?

Thanks again and sorry for my further questions.....
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
egr58
Intermediate

Don't know with absolute certainty but I would venture to guess (with 99 % certainty) that the emergency release ball-socket-ball disconnect is forward and above the wheel well on the same side as the hood release lever is within the cockpit.

If you feel comfortable changing a flat tyre (RHD spelling); yes absolutely a DIY fix. Please use jack stand(s) or blocking, as jacks aren't the safest way to support a vehicle when working underneath! The only other tool you will need is a T25 torx screwdriver.

Last edited by egr58; 11-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

According to PET, the emergency release cable is only on 'LL' vehicles (LHD).
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Ouch!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Was it something that I said?
Hey, I don't write this stuff; in case you were wondering...
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Come to think of it, Dax is lucky that we didn't consider his 'bonnet' subject one of a fashion statement.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
egr58
Intermediate

Hey, I didn't take offense. I just wonder why LL vehicles don't have an emergency release and disappointed I couldn't help save Dax a trip to the dealer. Fashion statement too funny!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy E.
It's also on RHD vehicles
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Dax
Intermediate

Hi Guys,

Firstly a big THANK YOU for all your help & advice, I had a local mechanic remove wheel and inner arch, and we found the cable and got the bonnet opened....

The reason for non-Diy was that it was blowing a force 6 gale at my holiday home, and I didn't want to be under the car with just the emergency jack holding it up...

So, checked Oil, topped it up and back to my holiday home I drove....

However, en route, got my "Check side direction light" warning, so arrived home checked driver's side parking-light, indicator light, dipped & full beam and not one was working.... Called garage back, as I thought it would just be a loose connection...

Returned to mechanic, and as I was stepping out of the car he advised that I had a Puncture....!

So he removed wheel, wheel arch, plugged lead firmly back in to the headlamp, all lights now working and then repaired punctured tyre....

Decided to drive 100 miles to Porsche Dealership as car was going in for a service next day (Tuesday) and to get bonnet cable sorted...

5 miles from Dealership, a set of ladders came off the roof of a Van 1 car in front of me on a 3 lane motor-way (70 MPH), came to an emergency stop & missed running over ladders by 3 feet.... I'm glad I keep a safe distance from the car in front at all times....

Watching all other cars in my rear-view mirror skidding etc. as they all came to a halt was a heart-stopping moment... 2 cars in the middle lane ran over the ladders but there was no obvious damage.

With 3 lanes of now stopped traffic we removed ladders from the road and continued our journey....

So, my car is now at the Dealers for a service and to have the bonnet release repaired. I'm also having a 111 Point check carried out as I wish to extend the Warranty for another 2 Years....

Will let you know the cost of everything, and thanks again for all your help....

P.S. As all bad luck normally comes in 3's, surely I've had my fill now...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Please tell me that you purchased a lottery ticket after all that!! ;-)
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Dax
Intermediate

Well the total cost for work carried out was £1263.00 approximately $2000...

There was 3 1/2 hours Labour in fixing the Bonnet Release, a faulty parking sensor and a minor service & 111 Point check carried out....

The OPC wants me to replace all led bulbs, rear led lights, misting front headlamp and front discs before I can take out their Warranty.... Total cost £2800 ($4500) and as the Warranty costs £1800 ($2900) I think I'll take my chances, and bank the monry to cover any potential problems in the future....

Do you think this is the correct course of action....?

Quick Reply: Cayenne emergency bonnet release...?