Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you tow a 911 with a stock Cayenne?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you tow a 911 with a stock Cayenne?

This is my first post here. I've searched on the subject of towing and there's a lot, but my main question isn't answered.

I love the track time I've had with my C2S but do not like the to/from travel in same. Watkins Glen is 7 hours away and that's a lot of highway miles for a couple of hours of weekend track time. Towing is the logical solution (and yes, the start of the proverbial slippery slope :-).

I'd like to upgrade my MBZ wagon to a tow-worthy pre-owned Cayenne. Can a Gen 1 Cayenne handle the load (likely 1,000 lb. Trailex and 3,300 lb P-car), or should I really be looking at a CS or TT? Anyone have experience towing a car with the base model?

Gene
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I towed my "83 SC on my open Trailex Trailer to Keystone Co. and back for the Parade two years ago. The tow vehicle was a 2008 Cayenne GTS and I had no issues whatsoever. The Cayenne was loaded as was the interior of the SC. I had a tire rack on the Trailer with race tires. Overall i got 13 MPG for the trip from San Antonio to Keystone and back. As for power I was easily able to maintain the speed limit and acceleration even at 11,000 feet. Now to accelerate at that altitude it did downshift to 3rd and was pulling around 4500 RPM but the Cayenne was great and we would still have it if it were not for the young man in the Suburban texting. We were not injured when he hit us doing 30mpg and we were stopped but even though I was able to drive it to the shop some 40 miles away we traded it. Miss the Cayenne and that is why a new one will be here next month. Bottom line a great and very comfortable tow vehicle.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Gene - as you likely know, the haul from here to the Glen is long but with an open lightweight Trailex it isn't too much to ask from your tow vehicle. Sorry, but I don't have much experience with the original V6, but if you wanted to test it with a 24' enclosed drop me a PM! Seriously, don't give up the 01 E320 (I have a 00 E320 Estate and love it!) and look around for used Duramax powered truck that hasn't plowed every driveway from Andover to NYC and you could pull a nice enclosed trailer up to Tremblant without worries.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

friend towed an enclosed trailer (not a trailex) with a boxster inside with a Cayenne. I was shopping back then and picking owners brains. He said it the RPM's get up there a bit on the hills but nothing to be concerned about. I ended up with a CS anyway, and towing with that is a non issue.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all are you talking about a Base (V6) Cayenne or a "S" (V8) Cayenne, it would make a diff. I would not hesitate w/ a V8 and that load but I have no idea about a V6.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Firebird2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not own a Cayenne yet, but currently have a Frontier (Navara here), 4.0l V6 and tow a 2500kgs boat. Am looking at the Diesel Cayenne as a replacement as it is rated to tow 3000kgs.

Only issue you will have is how quickly the gas gauge drops. With the Navara fuel burn increases by 40-50% but there are a number of hills on the trip to the lake.

My only concern with this much weight is braking, hence the reason the trailer has electric/hydraulic brakes. The old boat trailer had them on all four wheels and it could stop the car if needed.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Thanks to all for your responses.

Bill - I was speaking of the V6 Cayenne. My dealer said it could handle towing duties (he wasn't trying to sell me one since they had none on the lot at the time), but I've always been doubtful of 6-cylinder tow vehicles. He said it's not so much the engine size that defines towing capability, but the transmission. Porsche's not surprisingly can handle the task where others (say, an Infiniti FX 45, which we were discussing at the time) cannot. In any case when the time comes I'd probably opt for a CS and remove all doubt. Plus it'll be that much more fun to drive the other 99% of the time!

Blaine - I hear you on the E320 (see mine below). I love this car, not only for its comfort, engineering and ride quality, but also because it hauls! (stuff I mean). With the seats up it takes 5 adults, plus 2 kids in the way back if needed. Seats down it can lug a cord of firewood or a weekend's worth of building materials. Even better, the Thule roof system lets me put bikes, canoe, or kayak up top without needing a step-stool or ladder. I love that. Maybe I will take your advice and hang onto it and consider a straight pickup to tow (and plow my driveway!)

Gene

Last edited by Caughtacab911; 03-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"He said it's not so much the (V6) engine size that defines towing capability, but the transmission."

That puzzles me, both the V6 Cayenne and S share same transmissions. Porsche rates all new Cayenne's to tow 7,700 lbs, but that is on level ground. Not sure if any torque struggle with V6 up mountains with a 4,500 lbs open trailer load.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Folks from this forum have towed similar loads with both V6 and V8 Cayennes.
The same rules will apply to both vehicles.

Personally, I would simply carry 2 Mag Lites, a case of D batteries and a roll of racer's tape ... you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

We tow with my wifes CS (only comes with a V8) up & down the East Coast... The Glen is my local track and we are there at least once every month during the summer season.... The V8 is great thru the mountains of Pa. and Va.

I would not do the V6... while it is rated for the load it is not really a motor that is built for that type of useage. Not enough torque.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Here's some actual experience.

For All You Doubters, the Cayenne V6 tows

In essence, you should be fine with an open Trailex or an enclosed Trailex but not an enclosed steel trailer.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Here's some actual experience.

For All You Doubters, the Cayenne V6 tows

In essence, you should be fine with an open Trailex or an enclosed Trailex but not an enclosed steel trailer.
FWIW, respected RL member 'skl' towed an aluminum enclosed full size ATC 22' trailer with a Cayenne for a while ... back in the alpha/beta years.

Meanwhile, somewhat less than respected RL member "larry' towed an aluminum full size 20' enclosed Cargopro trailer with a Cayenne ... then the lights went out.

V6, V8 ... it's all about wheelbase anyways.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The wheelbase gives stability ... if the tow vehicle doesn't have the torque it will over work the engine ....killing it in the long run.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CWhaley
The wheelbase gives stability ... if the tow vehicle doesn't have the torque it will over work the engine ....killing it in the long run.
The Cayenne isn't exactly overflowing with wheelbase nor torque.

Now, if that is what you're looking for... this can tow your Cayenne, your 911 and your trailer ....

Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Had that and the wife hated traveling in it. The CS has more torque then the V6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you tow a 911 with a stock Cayenne?