Sponsored by:

Bose vs Standard Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
SilverForumSurf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose vs Standard Audio

For the 2011 Cayenne, is there a real sound quality difference between Bose and stock audio sound options? (don't need more volume/base, just reasonable good sound). Both would be from PCM.

And for anyone with the stock audio system, does it sound like "surround" stereo?

I'm going to be playing standard MP3s files so if the stock sounds at least as good as the Lexus premium sound system (which is the best stock system I've heard) then I'm good. If it's like the stock system in an average car (e.g. Ford Explorer) then I guess I'll need to fork over.

Last edited by SilverForumSurf; 03-20-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
dc88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MP3 will not work on earlier Bose systems. I think after 2006 it works but not on 2005 or before.

I have a Bose system and it is pretty good with CDs (cannot comment on MP3 since I have a 05).

It is not as powerful or as crisp as my aftermarket system on my previous vehicle BUT the Bose is a very good factory system. It is good enough that upgrading my system has not even been a consideration (despite no MP3 or Ipod). The sound is good enough that I have gone backwards and started to burn CDs again or listen to the engine sound.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know the specs on the Lexus premium system but the standard 2011 Porsche system is 10 speakers and just 100 watts total, and only offers "surround" in the sense that there are speakers around you. The Bose system is 14 speakers including a subwoofer with a total of 585 watts and has true discrete channel surround sound capability. I've listened to both and the Bose is a big step up, IMO. It's a reasonable compromise between the base system and the very fine but much more expensive ($4K more than the Bose) Burmester on the 2011 models.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

If you opt for Nav, the PCM system is upgraded from the base CDR stereo, and it is very comparable to my previous Lexus sound system. I think the sound quality is good, but I'm no audiophile by any means and primarily listen to the radio or iPod. I pasted a chart that shows details of each of the 4 available systems, you should be able to find it by doing a search (sorry, on the iPad otherwise I'd attach it again). - pasted the link below

I too debated Bose vs no Bose when I ordered, no regrets passing on it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8327039-post12.html

Last edited by slwong23; 03-20-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Link
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you need to listen for yourself and not assume a luxury brand's stock stereo will start at a higher quality level. First experience with this was going from a 2000 BMW 3 series with Bose to a 2002 BMW 3 series with standard sound. The standard sound was ok at low levels but terrible when I raised the volume a little. I listen to all kinds of music but not an audiophile. I just know when it sounds like crap. When I was deciding between two 2008 Cayman's on the lot, one had Bose Sound and the other had Sound Premium Plus (something like that but it was below the Bose sound option). The Sound Premium Plus was as bad as the BMW base sound. For another example my 2006 Honda Civic with no sound options sounded better than the BMW stock and Porsche Premium Plus sound options. I have the Bose sound option on my 2011 Cayenne and it sounds fine.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dc88
MP3 will not work on earlier Bose systems...
Incorrect.
The only "Bose" components are the amplifier and speakers. They are fine with MP3 content, trust me. There are all sorts of little MP3 files buried away in there, just waiting, but I digress.

The headunit is a Becker design (both CDR and PCM).
It is a common misconception that the audio system is "Bose". It is not.

The only Bose audio system (headunit, amp, NAV, speakers, etc) was produced for Ferrari/Maseratti.
However, you will find no record of that design on the Bose website, since it was cancelled after only being produced for those 2 cars....long story.

Quick Reply: Bose vs Standard Audio