Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
laurenkendall
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

I just had my first 5,000 mile oil change in my Cayenne Diesel AND it was the first oil change that the dealership has done as well. The guys said it took about 3 hours (glad I scheduled a loaner for the day) and it ran me about $300. It's kind of a pain every 5,000 miles - my dealership is almost an hour away but it's worth it because I love the car. The issue is that now, 3 days later I have a warning light on that says "oil level above maximum". I spoke to the service dept and they told me to drive it around and see if it goes off. Has anyone had an oil change yet in the diesel? Any issues with the oil change??
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by laurenkendall
I just had my first 5,000 mile oil change in my Cayenne Diesel AND it was the first oil change that the dealership has done as well. The guys said it took about 3 hours (glad I scheduled a loaner for the day) and it ran me about $300. It's kind of a pain every 5,000 miles - my dealership is almost an hour away but it's worth it because I love the car. The issue is that now, 3 days later I have a warning light on that says "oil level above maximum". I spoke to the service dept and they told me to drive it around and see if it goes off. Has anyone had an oil change yet in the diesel? Any issues with the oil change??
Are you frickin' kidding me?

I think I'd be waiting at that dealers service bay the next day. Overfilling is worse than running a little low.

*** I have no knowledge of diesels though, they may tolerate overfilling better than gas engines (but I doubt it). If it's enough to trigger the warning light it's enough to have it addressed by the dealer, IMHO.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you frickin' kidding me?

I think I'd be waiting at that dealers service bay the next day. Overfilling is worse than running a little low.

*** I have no knowledge of diesels though, they may tolerate overfilling better than gas engines (but I doubt it). If it's enough to trigger the warning light it's enough to have it addressed by the dealer, IMHO.
+1

This issue definitely needs to be addressed sooner then later and I wouldn't think it shouldn't be driven around.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 11-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Call 1 800 Porsche and ask them what they think about your dealers comment about your Cayenne warning light....
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 v6, when I received it brand new ... the overfill warning came on once every two days for a few minutes.

Called dealer, and they said "normal ... give it a week and bring it in if it does not go away". Went away after a week as predicted.

I have also read several other reports on the boards, about the intermittent overfill warning, usually with the "dealer says normal" and "it goes away".

Joys of no longer having a real dip-stick, to double check!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
I have a 2013 v6, when I received it brand new ... the overfill warning came on once every two days for a few minutes.

Called dealer, and they said "normal ... give it a week and bring it in if it does not go away". Went away after a week as predicted.

I have also read several other reports on the boards, about the intermittent overfill warning, usually with the "dealer says normal" and "it goes away".

Great! I don't know which is worse, warning lights you can't trust or dealers saying just drive it for a few days and see if it goes away.....

Things would be so much simpler if they just gave us back the frickin' dipstick!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
grohgreg
Pro

I strongly suggest you read up on oil changes in your owner manual. It's almost unthinkable - given the technology of the engine/oil/filters - that you'd have to change every 5k. Unlike the gasoline only Porsche models, the diesel and the hybrid engines have oil quality sensors. Other than changing the break-in oil on you diesel @5k, you don't have to change again until the car computer tells you. Mine says 5k right now, followed by another @20k - unless my driving habits make the computer tell me otherwise.

All this by the way, is predicated on your using C30 oil and Porsche-approved filters. The warranty does NOT necessitate it be done at a Porsche dealer. If you provide the correct oil and filter, there's no reason you can't have it done at any quick change place for $35 - or whatever the going rate is these days.

//greg//
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I'd strongly suggest that you'd not let your car be worked on by anyone at the "quick change place". Do some research and find a reputable independent mechanic in your area instead.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
And I'd strongly suggest that you'd not let your car be worked on by anyone at the "quick change place".
I don't think there is a +(x) number big enough to show my agreement with your statement......
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
laurenkendall
7th Gear

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I strongly suggest you read up on oil changes in your owner manual. It's almost unthinkable - given the technology of the engine/oil/filters - that you'd have to change every 5k. Unlike the gasoline only Porsche models, the diesel and the hybrid engines have oil quality sensors. Other than changing the break-in oil on you diesel @5k, you don't have to change again until the car computer tells you. Mine says 5k right now, followed by another @20k - unless my driving habits make the computer tell me otherwise.

All this by the way, is predicated on your using C30 oil and Porsche-approved filters. The warranty does NOT necessitate it be done at a Porsche dealer. If you provide the correct oil and filter, there's no reason you can't have it done at any quick change place for $35 - or whatever the going rate is these days.

//greg//
The dealership told me that on the diesel I will need an oil change every 5k but I will look further into it. And the computer gave me a 1000mile count down starting at 4k that I needed a change. EVERY day that I turned on my car it counted me down. So I'll wait and see if it starts counting me down at 9k. Somehow during my excitement of purchasing the car I totally missed the part where I'd need to take my car in every 5k miles...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
laurenkendall
7th Gear

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

The strange thing is that the overfill warning did not show up until 3 days after the oil change.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow during my excitement of purchasing the car I totally missed the part where I'd need to take my car in every 5k miles...
I've been on the 5k oil change interval on both of my Cayennes for the past 7 years.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
grohgreg
Pro

So I'll wait and see if it starts counting me down at 9k.
Again, refer to your owner manual. The next recommended service will already be identified in your MFD. I can't speak for your driving conditions. But based on mine, the MFD says the next oil interval after the break-in change isn't until 20k

//greg//
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
And I'd strongly suggest that you'd not let your car be worked on by anyone at the "quick change place". Do some research and find a reputable independent mechanic in your area instead.
No argument with the second recommendation, but why pay a qualified independent to simply change oil? The high school dropouts at Grease Monkey can at least operate an oil suction device, change a filter, and pour in the amount of oil you give them. It's not rocket science, it's simple economics.

//greg//
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I read the 5k interval here so I asked my dealer about it when I picked mine up last week. He referred me to the maintenance guide which says 10k. He also asked his tech who just got back from training on the diesels and he said the same.

I'll do my first at 5k, then after that it will be every 7-10. If my local shop wants $300, that'll be plenty on incentive to do it myself...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel