Door Lock Central Locking Not Working on One Door - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Lock Central Locking Not Working on One Door - PLEASE HELP

Hi guys

Recently bought a 4.5 S with a few minor niggles, so a bit of an ongoing project for me.

The passenger front door (I'm in the UK so it's the front left door for me) does not unlock with the central locking. Or at least is jammed in some way.

If you put your ear next to the door it seems to make a 'click' sound when you hit unlock on the remote, but it does not open. So either it's not unlocking or there's a jam somewhere.

The previous keeper showed me a trick for getting it open - and I have NO idea why this works, but it does (!!!):

1) Unlock the car as usual
2) The passenger door does not open
3) With the palm of your hand give a firm bash to the shorter of the two sections of the door handle (i.e. the section which usually has the key hole in it on the drivers side of the car)
4) Open the door

It cannot be opened at all from the inside, just from the outside with this 'bash' method.

Any idea what's going on, and how I can fix it?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Default Images???

Quick update on this. Took a look at the end of the door, and there is a plastic cover/cap missing, which allows you to see the door lock...

Can I add an image here??? I hit the add image button and it asks for a URL. The image is on my computer. Can I upload it here???
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit the 'Go Advanced' button and you will find the 'paperclip' attachment icon as an option.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Default Image

The image is attached now.

This is the 'end' of the door, the part that's invisible when the door is closed. The end opposite the hinge.

You can see where the plastic cover/cap is missing (note the lines where it should be), and you can see the lock inside.

Does the image help?

Anyone else come across this 'bash the short end of the handle' issue to get the door open??
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Hi Guys

Those two 'holes' you can see - does that alloy any adjustment of the door lock??

I noticed if you push the short half of the handle from the outside, you can see the lock from the two holes in the side also moving back and forth, so it's definitely a bit loose in there.

Any help???
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, yes I have a similar "stuck door" problem too. Right hand rear passenger door (RHD) for some months would only open from the outside after the second pull on the handle.........then it suddenly didn't open at all. Your tip (bash the short part of the handle) worked to my amazement. I have sprayed WD40 into the lock and the door handle and now it seems perfectly ok. However I do wonder if there is something loose or requires a slight adjustment/tightening. Further investigation required!
Oh, and lube that door Lion Heart.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Hey Nick

If you pop off the plastic cap on the inside edge of the door you should be able to see the end of the door lock - if you push the short half back and forth can you also see the door lock rocking back and forth?

I looked at mine again this morning and noted that if you unlock the car, the door does not open. Now, I normally give the short section of the handle a bash. I tried a different tact. I push it in slowly but hard, and when pushed hard it had the same effect as the bash method - BUT, you can actually hear it 'clicking' open which you don't when bashing as the bash noise masks the click noise.

Hmmm. I'm scratching my head now!

I'm thinking the lock may be loose, and I'm hoping that the two holes on the end of the door allow you to tighten it back up.

So my plan is push the handle in HARD (two people), and then tighten up the two screws shown in my image above.

My only concern, if that does not work the door may be stuck shut and cancel out my bash method. So but worried, ut cannot think of an alternative???
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Hey guys - please help.

Someone must know what the two screw holes adjust (in my image)?

The bottom one loks easy to adjust - torque screwdriver bit. But the top one just looks like a hole??
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Ok, tried tightening up the bottom one (torx type/star screw) - and it does not stop the lock moving laterally within the door cavity.

I think the top one will though - but I have no idea how to adjust it?? It looks like a hole rather than having a screwable head.

Help!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

I'm thinking maybe the short half of the handle feeds (connects) into the lock mechanism at the point of the top of the two holes visible ftom the side.

Maybe the other (top one) is tightened not from the side, but rather from the short handle side (i.e. goes sideways into the lock mechanism)?? Is there an adjuster under the handle cap????
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remove those peace where the key lock is, and then you'll see wire which it goes from door lock to outside door handle, and all you need to do, is to adjust that cable. I had the same problem, and it's fine now for about a year.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Here are manuals for front doors.

http://www.inkilino.es/Porsche_Cayen...G%20SYSTEM.pdf
Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Hi there. Thanks for that!

I've taken a look at the manual you provided the link to - very useful!!

However, it does not state how to remove the top of the two screws. It just says to unscrew it!!

But if you look at my image above it just looks like a hole?

On my car it is the passenger side, so no lock (as in keyhole). But are you saying I'll see a cable when I remove the 'lock' cylinder?

And how do you undo the top of those two screws??
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Lion Heart
Intermediate

Default Cable?

Hey, is this the cable you mean?:

If so, this is attached to the longer side of the handle, rather than the shorted end (aka lock cylinder)??
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 AM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Hey, is this the cable you mean?:

If so, this is attached to the longer side of the handle, rather than the shorted end (aka lock cylinder)??

Yes this is the cable. Pointed 6, you just take this out and try to adjust it. As I remember you have to release tension on that cable.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Central Locking Not Working on One Door - PLEASE HELP