Sponsored by:

First oil change Cayanne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
It is hard to justify extra oil changes. They generate graphite in the oil which is a lube enhancer, and don't generate nasty acids the way gas engines do.

Maybe some of you are old enough to remember Arco Graphite oil? They made that product by running the oil through an operating diesel engine. It was a very good conventional oil but was blacker than pitch because of the diesel produced graphite.
We are already doing extra oil changes. The oil change interval for the same engine on a Toureg or Q7 is 10,000.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
The oil change interval for the same engine on a Toureg or Q7 is 10,000.
Well, same basic engine yes. Same tune, no. I've had both a Treg and a Cayenne, and can absolutely confirm that the Porsche is faster. And with the right tuning box, much faster. Here the details are sketchy, but more diesel fuel gets into the Porsche crankcase than gets into the Q7/Treg crankcase. It has something to do with a loop in the particulate removal system which combines engine heat with diesel fuel with urea (AdBlue). More diesel fuel contamination in the oil pan means more frequent oil changes.

If anybody's actually got details about why this is happening, I'm eager to fill in my knowledge gaps.

//greg//
Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm skeptical. To me, the reason Porsche has oil changes every 5k is because of the inferior diesel fuel in the United States. The 5k oil change interval was instituted after the diesel pepper came here. Not all diesel fuel here is inferior but a lot of it is...not saying its bad fuel just inferior.

All this talk of the Cayenne Diesel engine being different from the Treg or Q7 is hogwash. Period. Don't believe the hype. Just because Audi and VW kept the interval at 10k here doesn't mean the Porsche went to 5k because of its engine is different. The Cayenne Diesel has 10k oil interval elsewhere, just not in the States.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:12 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Being skeptical is ok. But then using words like "hogwash" and "hype" goes considerably beyond skeptical.

You are however correct in inferring that US-refined diesel (outside California) sucks. Most folks in the ROW have access to 50+ cetane rated diesel. Most stations here dispense 40, unless you hunt out those who sell 45. California diesels surely run better than those is the other 49 states, as minimum 52 cetane is mandated out there.

//greg//
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 PM
fincher
Racer

Haha. Point is, I do not believe the 'tune' to which you refer is the reason for the 5k oil changes.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

I have the 2010 Touareg and believe the 5k oil change is to keep an eye on the overall emissions system as that is the major problem with modern diesels. New diesels exhaust fresh air compared to gas engines. I have over 100,000 miles on my T2. They are very technically advanced SUV's with very special VW 507 oil , adblue injectors, heaters and sensors. Most my repairs have been emissions related items such as adblue pump adblue injector, adblue heater, NOX sensor & EGR Valve. Love the torque, love the go anywhere any weather, every day car. Now considering Adblue and DPF deletes, but nervous about passing emissions after their gone. Maybe just drive another year and trade it in on a 2016-2017 CD hybrid, which I believe will be the next new Porsche offering: hoping for 400 ft/lb torque and 200 HP electric motor. Hold on there Baba Looey. Giddy Up.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your state's emission test process if you want to do a DPF delete. My state (VA) just plugs into the OBD port and makes sure its happy. So as long as there are no emissions codes, I could be spewing black smoke and still pass
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Default VW Dipstick for CD

It didn't take me long to decide to put a dipstick in my CD. Here is the VW part number:

To get the engine cover to fit the dipstick pull needed a hair cut:

The oil measurement system seems to be set up for checking after you finish fueling up the CD.

Rob
Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you driving with it in? This was discussed when they first came to our shores, but the consensus from back then was that there is an oil pan difference and no good information on if the dipstick will read correctly and not interfere with any internals.

Just be careful and keep us posted
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Default Dipstick reading matches electronic reading

Yes I am driving with the dipstick installed. Dipstick and electronic reading are the same. The car has not used any oil in 2500 miles.

Does the Toureg have a different oil pan than the CD? I thought the VW engines were drop shipped to Cayenne factory, minus their dipsticks.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 PM
fincher
Racer

No dipstick on Touareg. Can add one.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:37 PM
pauloil
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wds928
The first oil change in my 2014 Cayenne Diesel at 4,000 miles took a while....maybe 2.0 hours. I drained the oil from below, removing the front and rear trays from below. Much easier on the CD than in my former 928GTS...lot better ground clearance.

Tough to find the drain plug, as it is black, just like the oil pan. Found a picture on 6SpeedOnline.

Went to the dealer to get a filter, o-ring, crush ring and 9 quarts of Castrol 5W/30. Total in parts was $117.50, after my PCA discount.

I drained the oil and pulled a sample to send to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

I added 7.5 quarts of new Castrol Edge 5W/30 which meets the Porsche C30 specs. I have just ordered a case of Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30 and a Mann oil filter from Amazon for the next time for $117.

This is a pretty easy DIY project. Next time, I will drive onto four 2x12's to get another 1.5" of ground clearance.
I saw a 5 qt. castrol jug at Oreilly's for $38, and it might be cheaper at walmart.

Quick Reply: First oil change Cayanne Diesel